The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What prospects make the team next year?

50CON14

Virtanen- has a good chance. He will have 9 games to prove himself like Horvat

Gaunce- i feel he will get call ups here and there like Jensen has been

Corrado- depends on if we trade bieksa or Tanev. He will see some games for us but not full season

Mccann- may be given his 9 games. But he will play another season in CHL

Shinkaruk- play another year in AHL with maybe a few call ups. I can see him traded in a package in offseason

Jensen- probably the most probable of cracking the roster next year. Replace hansen on BOs line

And our 1st fro. This year may even crack the roster. Thats my opinion on youngsters next year

It depends on which veterans we bring back. Hopefully we can trade some of them for draft picks.

Hopefully Jensen and Archibald can contribute on our 3rd and 4th lines next year.

Not Archibald the guy is 25 and doesn't bring anything to the team aside from possibly toughness. I would rather sign or trade for a guy like Max Talbot, Steve Ott, Chris Neil ect. Character guys. Guys that are responsible defensively and bring other things to the table

I doubt anyone extra makes it. I am guessing Corrado makes it but I don't think he is in that extra group and would already be a fixture on the d-line right now if he wasn't hurt.

If the Canucks make the playoffs and have a good showing, I bet they sign a free agent, or re-sign a free agent, that keeps a younger player in the minors longer (and to spite CDC who thinks all vets should be jettisoned for inexperienced players).

Anyone who thinks Dorsett won't be re-signed in favour of rookie is dreaming.

My prediction

Corrado sees 60+ games

jensen sees 45 or less games (healthy scratch)

MCCANN and virtanen are sent back to jr.

I can seriously see Virtanen making it next year but a strong case for McCann. I expect him to destroy a dressing room upon getting news that he is sent back to juniors. That being said, Im sure McCann will surely be "The Man" for the Soo and hopefully have a good WJC and be the shutdown guy, yadda yadda yadda. Maybe the 9 gamer deals for both?

Corrado will be up and down

Jensen....upon hearing he was basically recalled and simply WATCHED the Isles game with Benning/Linden...I would love to

be a fly on the wall. Will he be packaged and traded? Or given one more year to "pick it up" so to speak?

My top 10:

1. Jacob Markstrom....It's play or trade. Odds 100%

2. Frank Corrado....mentally and physically ready. Canucks are gonna make room to see if he can replace Bieksa long term. 85%

3. Niklas Jensen...has the physical tools. Adds much needed speed....definitely needs to round out his game to stick long term. 75%

4. Jake Virtanen ...physically ready...probably gets an apprenticeship and back to junior like Anthony Duclair this year. 50%

5. Brendan Gaunce....has the size strength and smarts.....foot speed is the only thing holding him back. 35%

6. Hunter Shinkaruk...tough pro transition this season. Gonna want him to step up huge offensively in the AHL before advancing. 25%

7. Cole Cassels...could really suprise at camp. First year pro most likely Utica. 20%

8. Andrey Pedan...would need to have a couple injuries to get in. Beastly physical tools. 20%

9. Jared McCann...would have to be lights out at camp. Log jamb in front and needs to muscle up. 10%

10. Jordan Subban....needs to gain pro experience. 5%

This. Agree 100%.

No need to rush our young guys along!

Not Archibald the guy is 25 and doesn't bring anything to the team aside from possibly toughness. I would rather sign or trade for a guy like Max Talbot, Steve Ott, Chris Neil ect. Character guys. Guys that are responsible defensively and bring other things to the table

Archibald has potential to be a 4th liner, he's physical and pretty solid defensively.

Archibald is not Kenins, More likely that Zalewski makes it than him in my opinion

Archibald is way better than Zalewski.

Of all of the things hockey related to be thinking about in February....

To many variables to even make a strong argument one way or the other.

Let us see who is even at camp in September.

No kidding. The best I could say is a <10% chance one prospect (other than who we already have with us this year) makes it, <5% chance two do, and <1% chance 3 stick with the team.

Archived