The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie a Candidate for Jack Adams

jackknife

I think Willie should be at least a candidate for the Jack Adams award. The way that Willie has dealt with injuries, how he was able to get previously cold players (Burrows, Kassian, Edler) to recover is amazing. Furthermore, he made the right decision to let Horvat stay, and just look at him now. Finally, we are a team in contention for the playoffs after letting Luongo and Kesler go. He also did not start a goalie controversy, which is the greatest achievement for any Canucks coach :P

Being CDC, people will bound to disagree. Yes we had a horrible year last year, and any recovery from Torts will look great. That said, it often takes a new coach some time to figure out what's going on before improving the team(Examples: Trotz, Berube). The fact that we never really was out of the playoff picture shows consistency for the new coach. Yes, we also had new players signed. But is Vrbata better than Kesler? Is Miller better than Luongo? Finally, someone will say Laviolette is willing the Jack Adams anyway, and this is pointless discussion. I honestly think Poile deserves more credit for the acquisition of Neal, Ribeiro, and Forsberg.

I think there is an unwritten rule that after as many too many men PIMs as we have any nomination is scrubbed. The acquisition of Miller offset the loss of Luongo in an instant.

I do like how we have a few more young players in the lineup this year compared to years past, but as you mentioned that is mostly due to injuries.

I would wait 3-4 more weeks before the nomination as the stretch drive to the playoffs is where this team will be tested the most.

He should be a candidate by the end of the season. But he has little chance of winning with what Laviolette is doing in Smashville and Trotz in Washington. But I'm OK with that.

Laviolette should be the runaway winner.

But the Caps are not much higher up the standings than Vancouver, despite getting better goaltending (more consistent, anyways), and dealing with far less injuries. Not sure why Trotz would be ahead of Willie.

He deserves it so far (nominations), but so does many coaches this year. IMO,

Top candidates:

Cooper - TB

Laviolette - NAS

Capuano - NYI

Hartley - CGY

In considerations:

Therrien - MTL

Boudreau - ANA

Desjardins - VAN

Trotz - WSH

AV - NYR

Gallanta - FLA (If Florida makes the playoffs)

Candidate? Maybe. He's been a good coach, nothing spectacular though.

I disagree 100%. Look at how last year played out and then look at this year. He turned thins team completely around. The only coach i can see winning over dssjardins is the Predators coach and maybr Hartley

I disagree 100%. Look at how last year played out and then look at this year. He turned thins team completely around. The only coach i can see winning over dssjardins is the Predators coach and maybr Hartley

Actually if you compared last year and this year at the end of January, we would probably be fairly close. We started stumbling in February last year.

Last year was an exception, this team was better than 25th overall. WD brought back Vancouver where it should be, which is in the middle of the pack, fighting for a playoff spot. So I agree with the guy you quote, he hasn't done anything spectacular.

Nashville doesn't have a better team than us on paper, but Laviollette brought them to a 6 pts lead for President Trophy so far. That is spectacular.

Hartley with the Flames, that is also spectacular (giving they make the playoffs)

Capuano to bring the Islander to a top 4 teams in the East, that is spectacular as well.

WD has been good, but don't think he deserve it way more than others like Cooper, Trotz, Therrien, who are in consideration but not the favorites IMO.

Actually if you compared last year and this year at the end of January, we would probably be fairly close. We started stumbling in February last year.

Last year was an exception, this team was better than 25th overall. WD brought back Vancouver where it should be, which is in the middle of the pack, fighting for a playoff spot. So I agree with the guy you quote, he hasn't done anything spectacular.

Nashville doesn't have a better team than us on paper, but Laviollette brought them to a 6 pts lead for President Trophy so far. That is spectacular.

Hartley with the Flames, that is also spectacular (giving they make the playoffs)

Capuano to bring the Islander to a top 4 teams in the East, that is spectacular as well.

WD has been good, but don't think he deserve it way more than others like Cooper, Trotz, Therrien, who are in consideration but not the favorites IMO.

WD will shock the world and win the cup this year. Just wait and see. Guys love playing hard for willie and it shows. If they make playoffs i think WD is going to have them so motivated their going to be a very big pain for teams like la and the ducks. We win round one and give these guys confidence. Watch out. WD will win

Top candidates:

Cooper - TB

Laviolette - NAS

Capuano - NYI

Hartley - CGY

In considerations:

Therrien - MTL

Boudreau - ANA

Desjardins - VAN

Trotz - WSH

AV - NYR

NYR made the Final last year. What has AV done this year that would put him in consideration when compared to last year?

I don't mind any of those names besides Trotz and Therrien. Montreal was a top team last year and they're a top team this year. What's Therrien done better than last year? And what's Trotz done that is Jack Adams worthy?

Top candidates:

Cooper - TB

Laviolette - NAS

Capuano - NYI

Hartley - CGY

In considerations:

Therrien - MTL

Boudreau - ANA

Desjardins - VAN

Trotz - WSH

AV - NYR

Replace AV - NYR with Maurce - WPG and I think your list has merit.

for your first comment i was curious so i did some research. On this exact day lasy year we had 8 less points in one more game played.

NYR made the Final last year. What has AV done this year that would put him in consideration when compared to last year?

I don't mind any of those names besides Trotz and Therrien. Montreal was a top team last year and they're a top team this year. What's Therrien done better than last year? And what's Trotz done that is Jack Adams worthy?

AV

Injuries, to Lundqvist, McDonough, Kreider, Stepan.

Loss of core bottom 6 players (Boyle, Pouliot)

Rejuvenation of Rick Nash, Brassard.

Therrien

MTL was 3rd in division last year, now battling for 1st. But yes they made East final.

Loss of core veteran (Gionta, Gorges).

Top team without anyone in scoring leaders, bad PP.

4 solid line, including youth (Sekac, De La Rose, Bournival, Beaulieu)

Price has always been a top goalie, but never dominated stats. This year he does, because team is playing well in front of him.

Trotz

Basically similar to WD

Took a lost team, and brought them to play the right way.

Ovechkin -35 to +12

Developping young propect (Kuznetsov, Burakovsky)

Archived