The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning updates on Canucks Injuries and Goalie situation

Robongo

Interesting that he mentioned Bones should be good and Tanev is close but didn't even mention Burrows. What the what?

Yeah, or Richardson.

It's been mentioned on twitter that Corrado should be returning in about a week from his upper body injury

But the problem of consistency affects a lot of our other players too... Vey, bonino, sbisa, etc.. But they don't get nearly as much of this from the coach/GM as Kassian does.

You have no idea what Vey, Bonino etc have been told by management or how they may have responded to it? Obviously, management isn't concerned about Kass's production but the other areas of his game which are inconsistent i.e. bringing it every shift, d-zone coverage, board battles etc.

JB would not make the comment about his consistency if he didn't believe there was a lack of it at times.

Kass has been given top line minutes and PP time lately and kudos from his coach and GM but it still doesn't appear to b enough for some.

If Kass is demoted or scratched again, it is because of his play or something else that none of us know about but management has supported him and is working with him. It's up to Kass to prove he belongs in the line-up every game and in what role.

You have no idea what Vey, Bonino etc have been told by management or how they may have responded to it? Obviously, management isn't concerned about Kass's production but the other areas of his game which are inconsistent i.e. bringing it every shift, d-zone coverage, board battles etc.

JB would not make the comment about his consistency if he didn't believe there was a lack of it at times.

Kass has been given top line minutes and PP time lately and kudos from his coach and GM but it still doesn't appear to b enough for some.

If Kass is demoted or scratched again, it is because of his play or something else that none of us know about but management has supported him and is working with him. It's up to Kass to prove he belongs in the line-up every game and in what role.

Shouldn't that be up to ALL players though?

All these injuries are in a way a blessing in disguise. It has forced the canucks to bring up some youngguys and try different things with the lineup.

In the end it will make the canucks a better team. And the adversity is actually a good thing as it is forcing guys to step up.

Once a few healthy bodies return, I can't wait for the meltdowns on CDC about who gets benched or sent down.

Miller out for the season and playoffs... There goes our chances of making it there and/or getting past first round.

Why? Lack's at least as good at this point.

But the problem of consistency affects a lot of our other players too... Vey, bonino, sbisa, etc.. But they don't get nearly as much of this from the coach/GM as Kassian does.

You're confusing a consistency of production with consistency of effort. I'll give one guess as to which one WD/Benning are talking about in regards to Kassian.

100%

This game is as mental a game as anything. They don't want to send the message to Zack that he's made it. They may believe that he's the type of personality that will take that sort of praise and be satisfied. Some guys need the tough love to motivate.

Agree with your point....the healthy scratches were the only way to get through to him...Obviously,it seems to be working (for now)...I also think playing with the Sedins really inspires him to play well.

Shouldn't that be up to ALL players though?

of course. What i am saying is that it is quite likely other players are being coached and directed to perform better in certain areas and are responding to the satisfaction of management. None of us know the details of this. Management (including Benning) obviously believe Kass needs to improve in key areas and that how he is being handled is the best way to achieve that. Lots of cdc'ers disagree with this. Proof will be in the pudding.

On the one hand, this sucks for Miller the NHL goalie.

But on the other hand, this could be a good thing for Miller the man. His wife is having their first baby in the next 4-6 weeks, right? Being able to be home, supporting her, and not missing anything is a nice consolation prize.

Ya.. I too wonder when the sample size will be big enough for Zack Kassian... I mean 8 in 8 is pretty good.

Markstrom should get some starts, even in Buffalo coming up. We need to get a look at him before asking Lack to start 23 straight.

I didn't think that Tanev made the trip... haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'd rather he take the extra 2 days than potentially fly in for the last game of a roadtrip.

Bonino is needed right now, if only to push Vey or McMillan out.

Even when Zack was not scoring; it was not so much about the goals. Benning was clear on that in earlier interviews.

(Nor have I heard Benning or coach Willie complain when he made mistakes. As CDC rampantly speculates that Vey or Bieksa made a giveaway, but Kass gets doghouse treatment for mistakes. Its not about mistakes, or goals which are positive)

It was about whether or not he went to the net hard, was physical, fore-checked, battled and competed.

Has anyone else noticed that guys like Kenins, who does all those things, has won ice time fairly easily?

Archived