The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning updates on Canucks Injuries and Goalie situation

Robongo

Agree 100%.

The whole "consistency" argument to my way of thinking is a coach/GMs "go to" phrase fro when you have nothing specific.

The doghouse appears to be spacious indeed.

Sorry, he did compliment Kassian. He said "I know what he is capable of". In hockey talk, that's a good thing. Benning has high expectations for Kassian and the fact it is no surprise that he is currently meeting those expectations IS a compliment.

If he was to express surprise at his play, then I would agree. Both Benning & WD are hard on him because he can be better.

Sorry, he did compliment Kassian. He said "I know what he is capable of". In hockey talk, that's a good thing. Benning has high expectations for Kassian and the fact it is no surprise that he is currently meeting those expectations IS a compliment.

If he was to express surprise at his play, then I would agree. Both Benning & WD are hard on him because he can be better.

No it's not. It implies that he's capable of more.

It was about whether or not he went to the net hard, was physical, fore-checked, battled and competed.

Has anyone else noticed that guys like Kenins, who does all those things, has won ice time fairly easily?

I really don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. WD wants to have a pretty good idea of what he's going to get when he puts you on the ice. That's it.

It has very little to do with goals, mistakes, defensive play, physical play etc. It has to do with Kassian playing like Jekyll or Hyde. Consistent effort from one shift to the next and one game to the next. Period.

I really don't know why there's so much "mystery" around this topic.

Why is it so hard for Zack Kassian to earn some praise from the GM/coach for his play?

Their comments on Kassian always beat around the bush... "blah blah blah good, but blah blah blah consistency.. blah blah blah"

It's only my opinion but I think.

Because he is young and his natural fall back position is to incline to laziness and inconsistency on the ice, they think he reacts better if he is continually challenged so that he is more receptive to the coaching.

I agree that would not normally be the way to handle a young player but most young players are the opposite to Kass and if anything they try too hard and often have to be told to ease off a bit.

Talent is not a factor as he has obvious talent.

By the way I find it ironic that WD is attacked for his treatment of Kassian (despite the fact he is quietly coaching him to be better before our very eyes) and yet when CDC had a hard on for Tortorella it was perfectly acceptable for Tortortorella to poke and slap players on the bench in full public view.

Half the blueline out - half the veteran two way forwards out - only seems fitting that the team would have to make due without their starter as well.

If they manage to make the playoffs under these circumstances, well, the future looks bloody bright imo.

Always sucks to lose key contributors - but there's always the bright side of getting to see the young guys in the system and what they can make of their opportunities.

Thus far, guys like Kenins and Biega have owned their opportunities. Let's hope Jacob can follow suit.

Half the blueline out - half the veteran two way forwards out - only seems fitting that the team would have to make due without their starter as well.

If they manage to make the playoffs under these circumstances, well, the future looks bloody bright imo.

Always sucks to lose key contributors - but there's always the bright side of getting to see the young guys in the system and what they can make of their opportunities.

Thus far, guys like Kenins and Biega have owned their opportunities. Let's hope Jacob can follow suit.

Retain our vets AND get a look at the future?

Keep our forward momentum without going full stupidity and tear the ship down just to see kids play?

Yup, sounds like the best of both worlds to me. Should be an interesting offseason. The ending to this season and playoffs is a great litmus test for the organization.

Did anyone else hear it differently?

I thought Benning said "as we receive people back from injury we will be able to make trades"

I heard it only once while driving so I could be wrong

No what he meant was that getting guys back would be like making trades - in the sense that they'll be adding to the existing/current roster.

I hope Miller will be fine. Then again, I really, really want to see Markström get 1 or 2 starts just to show what he's got. Läck in my mind is fine and can keep us in it just as well as Miller did. I'm probably one of the few here that believes he could be the #1 goalie if called upon. As a reminder, last year was such a disaster that virtually no goalie could have kept us alive in that spiral... And keeping in mind that a year has passed, Eddie is much more mature, more used to the pressure perhaps and another step closer to being that go-to-guy in net.

Retain our vets AND get a look at the future?

Keep our forward momentum without going full stupidity and tear the ship down just to see kids play?

Yup, sounds like the best of both worlds to me. Should be an interesting offseason. The ending to this season and playoffs is a great litmus test for the organization.

For sure. Sometimes 'adversity' can actually pan out in your favour. Who knows. I hate seeing guys get injured - particularly key guys that have played such a huge role on this team - but if they manage to make it through as they are thus far, it only gives them that much better of an idea of what they have to work with - and as you mention, they get to give various young players a look - reward them for playing well in Utica - and still have their veteran depth - perhaps even fresher near season's end after having some time out of a long, grinding season.

For me it's been a difficult call all along, because when I look at guys like HIggins, Hansen, etc - I love those players, I think they represent excellent cap value - and I don't really want to see any of them dealt. This chain of events makes a case for retaining the depth in the franchise that Benning has.

Archived