The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Schneider for Horvat today

Visp

Would you trade Schneider back straight up for Horvat?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Had a pretty long discussion about this with some friends and was just wondering the CDC opinion;

With Miller injured, if New Jersey were to come to us and offer Schneids back in a straight exchange for Horvat, would you do it?

In the above, assume Miller could be moved for small assets when he recovers and Lack backs up Schneider (for now)

Absolutely not.

This organization does not need another goaltender and Horvat has been excellent for us. Both Vancouver and New Jersey picked up a need for their organization in the deal and although I wish Gillis had got more for Schneider, Horvat has exceeded my expectations.

We need players like Horvat, we do not need more goaltenders.

Had a pretty long discussion about this with some friends and was just wondering the CDC opinion;

With Miller injured, if New Jersey were to come to us and offer Schneids back in a straight exchange for Horvat, would you do it?

In the above, assume Miller could be moved for small assets when he recovers and Lack backs up Schneider (for now)

you voted yes didnt you

We need players like Horvat, we do not need more goaltenders.

Pretty much.

Even though Schneider would be an upgrade in goal, the difference between him and Miller/Lack isn't large enough to justify moving Horvat. Even long-term, Lack (and possibly Markstrom) look like relatively safe bets to be average starters or so.

Considering both team needs and where this team is headed in the next few years, there's really no reason to be moving our (arguably?) most important piece for a relatively redundant one.

This topic gets brought up every time either player involved(Schneids and BoHo) are playing well or Vancouver has any questions regarding their goal tending but sure lets play along since I'm bored at work.

I absolutely would not make that trade today and it has almost nothing to do with either players abilities. Schneids is easily a top 10 goalie in the league and with the right team in front of him could one day win the cup but the Canucks are not in need of goalie. We have Miller who is capable of being our number 1 and with both Lack and Markstrom waiting in the wings we have no need to go looking for another goalie. The Canucks need solid depth down the center and BoHo is being molded into a great 200 foot player. He's defensively responsible, wins faceoffs, is used to shut down other top teams and is also starting to find his offensive game in the NHL. The Canucks knew when they drafted BoHo that had leadership qualities and that he is exactly what this teams needs now and down the road.

So please enough with the BoHo vs Schneider topics.

With new Jerseys defensive history I would not be surprised if Schneider became a repeat of brodeur but even if he does become one I would take a player of horvats potential over him because frankly we had no one in our system capable of being a solid second line centre.

The trade filled a need for both teams and that's what good deals do.

Schneider is looking to be turning into the very good starter a lot of people thought he would. He is still, however, merely one guy who plays one position. The goalie is important, but it's easier to win with a mediocre goalie and good team than it is to win with a mediocre team and a good goalie.

We're okay in net right now and look to be for a few years. The same can't be said of the team in front of our goalie if we trade away our young prospects. If anything we need to shore up the team, especially in terms of ES scoring. If you can score you have a chance to outscore the goalie's mistakes. If you can't score you can't win even if the game ends 1-0 in a shootout.

Miller/Lack/Markstrom/Bo >>>>> Schneider.

Schneids hasn't even won 100 NHL contests yet and he's 28. Good goaltender but not great. Not top 10 in the league, possibly even 15.

New Jersey hasn't allowed him to win "100" NHL contests and he's the only reason why they are half mediocre, as opposed to being at the bottom of the standings. He can't make the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league win.

Break it down.

Does this org with

Miller, Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, Canaata, Corbeil and Demko NEED Schneider?

Or does it need a future stud 2 way center comparable to possibly Bergeron or Toews in the way he plays the game and owns the 2 way aspect of it?

Answer that and /thread

Miller/Lack/Markstrom/Bo >>>>> Schneider.

Schneids hasn't even won 100 NHL contests yet and he's 28. Good goaltender but not great. Not top 10 in the league, possibly even 15.

Have you seen his numbers?

Goalies can give their best but very rarely can they steal a game when the team in front sucks.

The last time I can truly say a goalie stole the game was scrivens 59 save shutout against the sharks in a oilers uniform.

The oilers had no business winning that game.

Break it down.

Does this org with

Miller, Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, Canaata, Corbeil and Demko NEED Schneider?

Or does it need a future stud 2 way center comparable to possibly Bergeron or Toews in the way he plays the game and owns the 2 way aspect of it?

Answer that and /thread

do we need Schneider alongside Miller, Lack, Markstrom, nope. Could we trade Miller and say Markstrom to make us better AND have a "better" goalie in net with Schneider (Lack backup for arguments sake), possibly. I love Horvat too but I do remember all the games the Schneids helped us win too, for me it's definitely a toss-up still.

WHY in the BLUE MOON would we need Schneider with our Goalie depth right now??? I can still see an argument about whether it was a good trade back then, but NOW? You gotts be kiddin, OP.

it was meant to be a discussion to see IF we traded Miller, if people would ever do a Schneider trade for Horvat (will never happen obviously)! :)

Archived