[REPORT] 6 Possible players Canucks may be interested in

Bradsterrr

1) Alexander Edler - Top 2 D

2) Ryan Miller - Starting G

3) Alexander Burrows - 2nd/3rd line forward

4) Chris Tanev Top 4 D

5) Kevin Bieksa - Top 4 D

6) Brad Richardson - 3rd/4th line centre

Hopefully Benning can get at least one of the above, I'll call that a win.

It won't help for a playoff push, but don't forget that rumour has it that the Sabres' third 2015 1st round is in play for the right price. Before anybody asks I can speculate on the price, but I can't say for sure what it would be. Murray is unpredictable.

I could see Benning calling about Bozak. Has seen him play a lot over the years, and probably has a really good handle on what his actual value is.

Vey, 2016 second, Weber Maybe?

I don't really want to do the trade because I like Vey and we need the picks we have, but Bozak gives us a good chance to have some success in the next 3 years.

His advanced stats are pretty terrible though.

Good faceoff guys 51.2%, but the leafs are so bad in shot differential it's scary.

I like Bozak I'd do that deal.

You must be mad giving up McCann and Sbisa. Sbisa will be a beast for us in the playoffs the longer he progresses in the team and McCann is pure aggressive talent who after a year under our coaches in Utica will be a huge player in this team.

No way Yandle is a Canuck, if the Canucks 1st or a top prospect isn't headed the other way.

It won't help for a playoff push, but don't forget that rumour has it that the Sabres' third 2015 1st round is in play for the right price. Before anybody asks I can speculate on the price, but I can't say for sure what it would be. Murray is unpredictable.

Didn't that pick go to WPG in the Kane/Myers deal

Does the emergence of Kassian (at least temporarily) change the trade deadline needs for the Canucks?

The desire for a top 6 forward seems to be filled if he can continue to play like that. Even when he inevitably loses focus a few games from now, this spurt has shown that he can fit on that line. During the playoffs you know he will be focused and energetic, so you put him right back there to give that line some bite and protect the Sedins a little.

Once everyone starts getting healthy I really think it is important to keep a youngster like Kenins up for the playoffs. Not only is it a young pair of legs, but it seems to be good for the locker room to have these young guys stepping up.

That would make at least one of our veteran bottom 6 expendable (the bottom two lines below are pretty randomly put together... who know who plays where since many of them play multiple positions).

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Matthias-Hansen

Richardson-Horvat-Dorsett

Kenins-Vey-Mcmillan

I would say during the playoffs Vey is the odd man out for sure since his style doesn't seem particularly well suited to that type of game yet. McMillan is fine as depth. It would be hard to sit one of our veterans for Kenins though as each of them brings something solid.

The first realization has to be that JB isn't giving up draft picks to acquire rentals or aging has beens. As this seems to be the target wishes for all players named, I don't see a fit here. I see players in our own system that are ready for a chance and can, at least, produce as much as any of the above mentioned players.

The only way I see Benning moving a draft pick is if he sees a prospect or young player with more potential than anything he sees at the pick position he has. This is why I really like JB. While it is, obviously, the goal of all gms to achieve this, JB has the knack for finding the gems no one else sees. If it doesn't pan out, he's quick to act and has no problem with making the necessary move to fix it.

If anything, I see Jim making moves at the draft to acquire more picks and prospects to further fill the cupboards and giving our youth that he feels are ready, a real chance with the big club.

I do believe a shake up is coming, but I think deadline day is going to be quiet for Canucks fans and I, for one, will be greatfull.

Does the emergence of Kassian (at least temporarily) change the trade deadline needs for the Canucks?

The desire for a top 6 forward seems to be filled if he can continue to play like that. Even when he inevitably loses focus a few games from now, this spurt has shown that he can fit on that line. During the playoffs you know he will be focused and energetic, so you put him right back there to give that line some bite and protect the Sedins a little.

Once everyone starts getting healthy I really think it is important to keep a youngster like Kenins up for the playoffs. Not only is it a young pair of legs, but it seems to be good for the locker room to have these young guys stepping up.

That would make at least one of our veteran bottom 6 expendable (the bottom two lines below are pretty randomly put together... who know who plays where since many of them play multiple positions).

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Matthias-Hansen

Richardson-Horvat-Dorsett

Kenins-Vey-Mcmillan

I would say during the playoffs Vey is the odd man out for sure since his style doesn't seem particularly well suited to that type of game yet. McMillan is fine as depth. It would be hard to sit one of our veterans for Kenins though as each of them brings something solid.

Where we are overload is the LW side in the bottom 6. We have a bit of a conundrum on the 2LW/3RW position.

If you assume that Kenins stays in the line-up, though he would be a good bench option too, and Burr can play either 2LW or 3RW then we have Sedin, Burr, Higgy, Matty, Dorsett, Kenins on the left side. Assuming Ritchie goes back to center then we have maybe as many as two available bodies to move at forward and still keep Vey and Kenins on the bench. Higgins seems the easy choice because of his marketability… though it could easily be Matthias too.

Sedins-Kass

XXXX-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthias-Ritchie-Burrows

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen

Ex: Vey, Kenins

Moved: Higgins

If Kenins stays in the line-up, and there seems to be little reason to break up that line then it gets more complicated and we have even more possibilities. Then we may be possibly looking at an upgrade on the 2nd line either at centre for Bonino or LW for Burr and move him to the 3rd line.

Sedins-Kass

XXXX-Bonino-Vrbata

Dorsett-Ritchie-Burrows

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Ex: Vey, McMillan

Moved: Higgins, Matthias

or

Sedins-Kass

Burr-XXXX-Vrbata

Dorsett-Ritchie-Higgins/Matthias

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Ex: Vey, McMillan

Moved: Higgins/Matthias, Bonino

What this shows to me is that, under the current circumstances, the Canucks could possibly move out two forwards, and be able to include a depth d-man like Weber, for an upgrade on the 2nd line while putting out a strong forechecking 12 man roster with decent bench options and Black Aces.

This even assumes that we aren't targeting a d-man. Even more interesting is what one or two of these pieces might get when included with a Tanev, say.

If we believe we will get healthy then JB might actually have some options to make a hockey trade with another playoff contender in the East. Under these circumstances it might mean the net will be cast even wider than the usual bottom feeders. There could be a potential deal out there that would difficult for any of us to predict.

Archived