The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis will be a GM in the league again one day.

messier's_elbow

I can name teams that drafted in the mid 20's and have drafted actual studs. Eg, La, Chicago, Blues,etc

All teams have lucked out with great players later in the draft...Lucic,St Louis,..even the Canucks have had a few gems in Edler,Bieksa and Smyl....Canucks drafting hasn't been that great,but the fact remains that actual studs(were talking cornerstone players) are usually amongst the first 10 players picked in the draft ......The last time the Canucks picked in the top 8 was way back in 1999 when we picked the Sedins 2nd and 3rd overall...We have basically been victims of our own success.

This guy is hated and pitchforked out of town but he is coming out looking a lot better recently. He didnt hire Torts the owners did. He messed up the situation with the goalies but the new cap penalties screwed him. He got Horvat out of the deal though which might end up being his greatest move of all. Matthias and Markstrom arent looking like bad pieces for Lu either. When he wasnt pissing away picks on guys like Derek Roy (pukebaby) he was making decent draft picks and his only real horrible pick was Mallet. Cassels, Gaunce, Corrado and Jensen all look like future NHL players as well. Jurys still out on Shinkaruk but I have faith.

Provide proof that Gillis didn't hire Tortorella, please. General managers or presidents are tasked with the hiring of head coaches.

There is no concrete proof that Tortorella was hired by anyone else other than Gillis.

Pieces Gillis put in place

Kassian

Tanev

Lack

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Jensen

Corrado

Cassels

Gaunce

Kenins

Subban

Markstrom

Matthias

Higgins

Richardson

Hamhuis

Sorry, but this list seems kind of underwhelming in my opinion. Some very nice supporting cast players, but no superstars exactly.

There are a number of players on this list that may never play a game in the NHL, never mind becoming a regular.

I figure if you're going to argue that these are pieces Gillis "put in place"; then it ought to, at the very least, be a foregone conclusion they will be an NHL regular, be it here or elsewhere.

And he almost succeeded. If the Canucks had won game 7 in 2011, they could suck for the next ten years and it wouldn't matter. He would be seen as a hero because he got us the cup.

Can't fault him for the team sucking now. He had a plan and stuck with it. Damn near pulled it off. Only one other dude can say that and that's Pat Quinn.

Quinn might have had a better run - in building up from a terrible team to win the first division title, and the second finals appearances, but Gillis - Gillis built a team twice favored to win the whole darn thing, not a Cinderella squad.

That's something rather incredible in my mind. 40 years we'd waited for that. You put together a winning squad, crush all opposition two years running and you take a cup run. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Sorry, but this list seems kind of underwhelming in my opinion. Some very nice supporting cast players, but no superstars exactly.

There are a number of players on this list that may never play a game in the NHL, never mind becoming a regular.

I figure if you're going to argue that these are pieces Gillis "put in place"; then it ought to, at the very least, be a foregone conclusion they will be an NHL regular, be it here or elsewhere.

Some people are impossible to please..

I don't think any of Gillis' draft picks has made it to our top 6 forward or top 4 D. We didn't have any young players to push some of our older players out and we ended up sticking with the same players, which led to our demise the past couple of seasons.

Finally, we are seeing life in our lineup with guys like Tanev, Kassian, Horvat and Kenins. Unfortunately, they arrived too late and our core is too old now to make a push

The only what the hell was he thinking moments I had with Gillis were:

When he hired Torts

When he didn't resign Torres

When he signed Setisto to 2 years and 700,000

When he decided to retire Malhotra

Notable mentions are not signing Willie Mitchell and Salo

Of these the only major one that had an impact on the club was Torts

I would agree that Gillis made some strong moves for this organization, however left our current team and last years' in pretty poor shape.

Yes, Horvat is playing exceptionally well (9th overall; not a tremendous surprise, albeit maybe earlier than many expected), but other than that, can someone name me another player besides Hodgson that Gillis drafted that is a NHL regular?

I've heard people say on here that the Sundin signing was tremendous for the Sedins and Keslers development. I won't argue with that as I haven't seen sources for or against that. I didn't like it much at the time myself.

Unfortunately, Gillis will be remembered as the man who ALMOST got the job done and failed. Not to mention, for probably the most poorly handling of very talented assets that I have ever seen. That being said, the return we have gotten out of both trades has panned out so far.

Toronto could be a good fit for him. The media there might soak up his polished attitude. They certainly can't do worse than what Nonis has done during his tenure.

how the hell does Cassel, Gaunce and Corrado and especially Jensen look like future NHLers when half of them have not even skated on an NHL rink and the other half is not even a regular and inconsistent(Jensen)

k well when they are all in the nhl in 4 years you can write me a nice apology letter mmmk?

Drafting overall of course. He had one good year, and that was his last.

So Jensen, gaunce, corrado weren't good picks? He made a few bone head moves and he was arrogant and hard to like. Having said that if we had won game 7 he would have been beloved in Vancouver. His only real bad moves were Ballard and how he handled the goalies. The sundin offer was a possible gaff but worked out as a huge plus in the end.

A powerhouse tenure? are you even sure about that go back to the series. Let's go back to memory lane and you can tell me what the difference was?

Okay times up! Here is your answer, the the difference was the power-play. Simply said, Canucks' had a lethal powerplay in the playoffs and that is what made them beat teams like Chicago, Predators ( was mostly Kesler) , Sanjose (powerplay)--- against Boston (powerplay went out and so did the canucks) I wouldn't say this team was lethal because teams like LA they are lethal.

I remember watching the games, I wouldn't say this team was lethal. Go back to the scare Chicago gave us, the team showed up for game 7 and let's face it Luongo won that game with his stellar goaltending.

Trading away first rounders was okay? why because Keith Ballard really helped us? Oh yes what about that Kassian trade that really helped us? Gillis was a gambler and he failed. Simple as that, he failed at his gambling, he gambled the future for a cup run and failed. Teams like LA, however make "hockey trades" and don't mortgage there teams future.

Your using the hodgson trade as an argument?? Pretty sure every team in the league would rather have kassian at this point in time .

1. I've heard people claim that the NHL threatened retroactive penalties for teams signing front loaded contracts before, but every time I've challenged the claimant to provide a reputable source for that claim, they haven't been able to do so. Can you?

Personally, that sounds to me like someone trying to twist a circumstance to support their position.

I've also heard several people making the claim that "they knew it was a bad contract when it was signed". However, I remember the day that the contract was done and I don't recall anyone saying that. In fact, the general consensus around CDC was that the relatively low Cap hit was a coup for the Canucks, who would still be in a position to afford key players.

The length of the contract was not deemed an issue at the time, because no-one expected Luongo to play out the entire term and at the time, there were no penalties in place for players retiring before the end of their deals.

2. Markstrom was a salary dump? I know the Panthers aren't the richest team, but JM's Cap hit is listed on NHL Numbers at $310k, while his actual salary is $1.4 million. That might seem like a lot to us everyday slobs, but to an NHL franchise (even Florida) it's chump change.

I am not certain but I think I remembered reading at the time that the first contract they tried to sign Luongo to was rejected by the NHL and they had to rewrite it. I could be thinking of another player though.

If that was the case Gillis probably should have seen that as a pretty big warning sign that the NHL was going to clamp down on such things. Having said that, the retroactive penalties were bush league at best. In hindsight Gillis should have traded Luongo before when the offers were likely better.

Archived