The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens acquire Smith-Pelly from Ducks for Jiri Sekac

elchupacabra

Therrien would much rather physicality than creativity. Remember Weise for Diaz? This is a larger scale, but I remember him wanting to keep Douglas Murray in the lineup even though he was prone to make the dumb play. Diaz was the smarter player but softer, so he found himself out of the lineup alot of nights.

Don't why everyone is so high on Sekac. IMO he's is just a younger version of Brunnstrom, Brunner.

Was unknown, then suddenly has good season overseas and everyone jumps at him like he's a savior.

Smith-Pelly adds size for Montreal for the playoffs. Habs rolls 4 balanced lines and DSP can play pretty much on everyone of them.

This.

Strange trade. I think the Canadiens gave up too much speed and offensive potential for 4th line toughness here. DSP doesn't fight and ended up being redundant in Anaheim. Maybe the Habs think he's Dale Weise 2.0. Problem: They already have Dale Weise 1.0.

DSP wasn't redundant. He was on the 3rd line and sometimes found himself with Getzlaf on some nights. The guy is huge. He forechecks tightly. Is physical and finishes his checks. He's got enough skill to play on the top six and can occasionally score goals. When he's not scoring, he's not a liability on the ice because he's solid defensively.

Sekac is only in his first year. Still a lot of untapped potential but it's a risky trade for the Ducks. He's not exactly lighting it up

I live in montreal and I watch sekar all the time. He is an excellent player with a lot of upside. Ducks won this one for sure

I live here too - DSP is the better player

In my opinion this trade works in Montreal's favour.

Bringing a power-forward type player to the Eastern Conference where he can be a more dominant player is more advantageous than bringing a smaller, skill guy to the Western Conference where he has more chance to get swallowed up.

Has there ever been 2 blacks on one NHL team? Hockey isnt played in African American neighbourhoods, or India or Asia.

Immigration has increased and they all move to the city, and think oh look all these Canadians play hockey, wow

Internet Poochies, so touchy about every little thing. they just sit and wait for something controversial to

complain about. 2 blacks on one team, I don't think I've seen that before. Where the Orientals at?

Has there ever been 2 blacks on one NHL team? Hockey isnt played in African American neighbourhoods, or India or Asia.

Immigration has increased and they all move to the city, and think oh look all these Canadians play hockey, wow

Internet Poochies, so touchy about every little thing. they just sit and wait for something controversial to

complain about. 2 blacks on one team, I don't think I've seen that before. Where the Orientals at?

Byfuglien + Kane

Etem + DSP

This.

DSP wasn't redundant. He was on the 3rd line and sometimes found himself with Getzlaf on some nights. The guy is huge. He forechecks tightly. Is physical and finishes his checks. He's got enough skill to play on the top six and can occasionally score goals. When he's not scoring, he's not a liability on the ice because he's solid defensively.

Sekac is only in his first year. Still a lot of untapped potential but it's a risky trade for the Ducks. He's not exactly lighting it up

Recent events showed him decline to 4th line status. Meanwhile they have other big guys on the team who could play the game a bit better. Seems the Ducks felt his development was stalling, as all he could do was hit.

I'm not sad that DSP left our division, but it's not like the Ducks got a lot worse here. I also expect them to load up further leading up to the deadline, adding a top-6 fwd and top-4 d-man. But we'll see.

Sekac can skate well, isn't a slouch defensively and probably has more offensive potential. But he also grew rendundant in Mtl as they have a ton of similar prospects.

I don't think either team is a clear winner. More like both shed redundant assets in favour of team needs.

I agree totally, but I think it was a good hockey trade for both teams. The Ducks could afford to give up some size and grit for some speed and creativity and the Habs could afford to give up some speed and creativity for some size and grit. Neither team really sacrifices offense, so it comes down to the intangibles that both teams need.

I'd call this one even, for now.

I think this is accurate for the time being. Solid hockey trade for team needs.

one of my buddy is a die hard habs fan. when i talked to him about this trade he wasn't surprised at all. he said there were some frictions between Sekac and Pletkanec in the locker room. So i guess Bergevin didn't hesitate to much to pull that trigger to end this issue.

I saw Sekac played. he has amazing hands and tremendous creativity. If he start to be a lil' bit lucky no doubt he will find the back of the net way more and could do some damage with anaheim. which is a problem for us.

Therrien stifles creativity so he wants nothing to do with a player that has tons of it. Ducks do it because they got a better player.

By the by the Ducks just got stronger. Anyone want to predict who will emerge from the mad dog fight that is the WC. Hawks are floundering, Kings are missing their #2 defenseman for god knows how long. My bet is on a CanDucks Preds WCF.

Fixed.

Archived