The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Bergenheim to Wild

Outsiders

Second time i will say this. I didnt say we should trade them anywhere in that post. Those are guys names who were being thrown around a lot over the past month. They are UFA players. Benning should be negotiating with them right now to find out if it is likely they will be back next year or not.

Lets say you knew that Matthias or Dorsett were not going to be part of the picture next season. Would you then still think they should not be traded and walk for nothing in return in the summer.

Personally I enjoy their contributions but they arent the difference between the canucks winning the cup or not and if I was benning and knew they were overpricing themselves or were not part of the plan next season you would have to entertain some offers on them.

Whats better maybe a goal or two from them in the playoffs, a good effort, a round maybe two of playoff hockey for bottom six guys. Or a 2nd or 3rd round calibre 18 yr old for in a deep draft for the next 10 years in the franchise. There are some excellent prospects in that range. We have depth in our bottom 6. We could handle moving one of them out for another pick if they are good as gone this summer anyways. It wouldnt make or break us.

Coconuts, on 24 Feb 2015 - 5:42 PM, said:snapback.png

Good for both teams, though we don't need Minnesota improving. Ahh well, at least it wasn't us trading for him.

I think that is the case, yes.

1. The Canucks have good depth in 3rd and 4th line forwards, more than the Wild appear to looking just at scoring. Canucks have 13 forwards who have scored 15 or more points this season, the Wild has 10. The Wild's 12th scoring forward has just 8 points on the season.

That suggests the Wild are weak at scoring on at least their 4th line while the Canucks don't have a shortage of players to fill a bottom 6 forward role.

2. Minnesota's 30+ year old scoring core is younger than Vancouver's. Parise, Pominville, Vanek and Koivu are all younger than Vrbata and the twins (and Burrows, who is 5th in Canucks scoring this season.) The average age of the Wild's top 4 scorers is 31+, the average age of the Canucks' top 4 scorers is 33+. After the first 4 the Canucks 5th scoring forward is Burrows at age 33 while the Wild's 5th scoring forward is Neiderreiter at age 22.

The Wild have a core of young forwards who were high draft picks in 2010 already making their mark on the team. Neiderretier (#5 overall in 2010) is 22, Granlund (# 9 overall in 2010) is 22, Coyle (#28 overall in 2010) is 22 and Zucker (#59 overall in 2010) is 23. Canucks don't have that young core, though with Vey (23), Horvat (19) and Kenins (23) to add to Kassian (24) things aren't as bleak-looking in that regard as they were a year ago.

3. Minnesota's oldest defenceman this year is Suter at 30. Only 1 other of their top 7 in time on ice is over 26. 5 of the top 7 are under 26, 3 under 24. Canucks have two over 30, Bieksa and Hamhuis, both of whom have this year been noticeably less productive than in their primes.

This all suggests that:

A. Bergenheimer fills a need in Minnesota that the Canucks don't have; and

B. Vancouver probably has more need of the pieces (picks and top prospects) to build for the future.

Second time i will say this. I didnt say we should trade them anywhere in that post. Those are guys names who were being thrown around a lot over the past month. They are UFA players. Benning should be negotiating with them right now to find out if it is likely they will be back next year or not.

Lets say you knew that Matthias or Dorsett were not going to be part of the picture next season. Would you then still think they should not be traded and walk for nothing in return in the summer.

Personally I enjoy their contributions but they arent the difference between the canucks winning the cup or not and if I was benning and knew they were overpricing themselves or were not part of the plan next season you would have to entertain some offers on them.

Whats better maybe a goal or two from them in the playoffs, a good effort, a round maybe two of playoff hockey for bottom six guys. Or a 2nd or 3rd round calibre 18 yr old for in a deep draft for the next 10 years in the franchise. There are some excellent prospects in that range. We have depth in our bottom 6. We could handle moving one of them out for another pick if they are good as gone this summer anyways. It wouldnt make or break us.

When you are competing for a playoff spot, you don't jettison expiring contracts, of players who are contributing to the reason you are even in the playoff race, just because you risk losing them for nothing.

The obsession with this draft being deep is clouding many CDC'ers judgement. Trade members of your current lineup for the chance at drafting a 2nd-3rd prospect who may not ever play?

There is a very good chance both Dorsett and Matthias get re-signed in the off-season. Even if you are a pending UFA without a renewed contract, it doesn't mean that the team doesn't want you back.

When you are competing for a playoff spot, you don't jettison expiring contracts, of players who are contributing to the reason you are even in the playoff race, just because you risk losing them for nothing.

The obsession with this draft being deep is clouding many CDC'ers judgement. Trade members of your current lineup for the chance at drafting a 2nd-3rd prospect who may not ever play?

There is a very good chance both Dorsett and Matthias get re-signed in the off-season. Even if you are a pending UFA without a renewed contract, it doesn't mean that the team doesn't want you back.

I agree to a point. If the return being offered is very fair you should do it. For example say a few teams really wanted a guy like matthias which is not unrealistic and one team was willing to offer a first round pick you would have to accept it. Playoff Teams are willing to move their first as teams are already stepping up and making those deals.

I would prefer we hold on to matthias and dorsett as well and re-sign them rather than trade them for 2nd or 3rds.

Personally I think the guys I would consider making available if a team wad willing to overpay for playoffs would be Richardson and Higgins. They are good players but I feel we have guys already capable of replacing them on the team.

I would also consider Bieksa if someone was going to give back a Sekera like offer and Bieksa would waive which is unlikely.

But lets say the first two were moved.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Vrbata Bonino Burrows

Dorsett Matthias Mcmillan/Jensen/Vey

Hansen Horvat Kenins

Still a good forward group with depth.

Archived