The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Canucks' rise from the mess last season and the Bruins' downfall this season a coincidence?

canucktican

Canucks were horrible last season. I mean from top to bottom it was a disastrous season to say the least. Bruins won the President's Trophy last season and were a serious contender to win the cup. Fast forward to today, Canucks are second in their division. If you guys remember last year when the team had a lot of injuries, our team folded and struggled to score even a single goal. This year even with injuries we are managing to win games. Boston on the other hand, is struggling, and there are even questions whether they'll make the playoffs. One major change both organizations had during the off season last year was that Boston lost Jim Benning and Vancouver hired Jim Benning. With all the woes this season in Boston and the quick turn around in Vancouver this season it shows how good Benning is at his job.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Canucks' rise and the Bruins' downfall this season is just a mere coincidence?

P.S. Why is Willie not even in a single talk for Jack Adams??

desjardins200.jpg

Bruins dug their own grave before Benning left.

Trading Seguin, losing Iginla, Horton and Boychuk without replacing them because of substandard cap management, mediocre drafting in the last 3-4 years outside of Pastrnak, there's a reason people are calling for Chiarelli's head in Boston. They're still good, but the depth of scoring that made them great just isn't there right now.

Benning's done a good job so far here, but the Bruins were already in trouble before the Canucks hired him.

Trading Seguin, losing Iginla, Horton and Boychuk without replacing them because of substandard cap management, mediocre drafting in the last 3-4 years outside of Pastrnak, there's a reason people are calling for Chiarelli's head in Boston. They're still good, but the depth of scoring that made them great just isn't there right now.

Benning's done a good job so far here, but the Bruins were already in trouble before the Canucks hired him.

Boston went all-in last year, including giving Iginla a bonus-laden contract that shifted most of his cap hit to this season. That kept them mostly out of the UFA game. They also had to shed some salaries, and traded away an excellent D-man in Boychuk just to be compliant. Then to top it all off, they suffered multiple injuries to key players right off the bat.

I like Benning, I really do - but the downfall of the Bruins is more circumstantial than anything. They're still a better team than their record suggests.

Threads like this scare me. Make a thread like this when they have indeed missed the playoffs and we have indeed made them.

What if the Bruins make the playoffs and we miss them? It's very possible considering the Bruins don't have 4 hungry dogs behind them, the way we do for the meat we hold.

Our record against the West is also 4-8 with 22 goals for and 38 goals against in 12 games since Jan.1st. We play west teams in 18 of our last 23 games. Given our injuries, and the fact lack can't play like he did today in every game, its entirely possible that we miss the playoffs and Boston makes them. In fact, they have a higher chance to make it then we do.

All I am saying is don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch.

My thoughts exactly! They gave away their goal scorers and thought they would win 2-1,1-0 but hasn't worked out for them. Also FYI benning had a lot to do in that seguin trade. There's still lots of hockey to be played, we have a wolfpac chasing us where as the bruins have a panther ;)

Threads like this scare me. Make a thread like this when they have indeed missed the playoffs and we have indeed made them.

What if the Bruins make the playoffs and we miss them? It's very possible considering the Bruins don't have 4 hungry dogs behind them, the way we do for the meat we hold.

Our record against the West is also 4-8 with 22 goals for and 38 goals against in 12 games since Jan.1st. We play west teams in 18 of our last 23 games. Given our injuries, and the fact lack can't play like he did today in every game, its entirely possible that we miss the playoffs and Boston makes them. In fact, they have a higher chance to make it then we do.

This

Speculation killed the Cat

My thoughts as well. This thread is jumping the gun a little bit. We're all excited about the win over the Bruins, but this is an over-sell. The Canucks may edge them in the standings currently, but the Nucks are not exactly a cup favourite. Not even close. Don't let this get blown out of proportion. They may be doing poorly, but we're down several key guys as well as depth players and are likely going to slide in the standings by seasons end rather than rise. The Bruins will likely do the opposite of that.

Outside of cap issues, Bruins management has actually been pretty solid. Malcom Subban has the potential to be an elite goalie, Soderberg has exploded this year.

If they keep sliding, they would probably just need to retool since they've got the veteran assets to trade with contenders and an enviable group of young guys that can play bigger roles. For a team that hasn't tanked they managed Hamilton, Pasternak, Smith and Krug, pretty sweet.

LOL. Boston still has a very good chance to make the playoffs. Downfall would be something that we went through last season, like finishing bottom 6 and picking 6th overall. If Boston gets that bad, then we can make this kind of thread.

Also, we haven't made the playoffs yet and we still have ways to go before we clinch the playoff berth.

Boston has an allstar in Bergeron... and a pretty good defenseman in Chara. (not dominant anymore, but still very good)

They also have Tukka Rask, who is struggling lately, but who is still a very good goaltender.

And finally they have the Rat, who may be disliked by Vancouver fans, but who is still a very skilled player.

There is no comparison between how bad the Canucks were last season and the current Bruins.

Archived