The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Canucks' rise from the mess last season and the Bruins' downfall this season a coincidence?

canucktican

The Canucks tanked last season to get rid of their coach. They have picked up their form from the Vigneault era and put Torts behind them. Some youth and enthusiasm has helped too. Boston has had cap problems and injuries , not to mention Montreal exposed them for being slow and undisciplined.

Bruins dug their own grave before Benning left.

Trading Seguin, losing Iginla, Horton and Boychuk without replacing them because of substandard cap management, mediocre drafting in the last 3-4 years outside of Pastrnak, there's a reason people are calling for Chiarelli's head in Boston. They're still good, but the depth of scoring that made them great just isn't there right now.

Benning's done a good job so far here, but the Bruins were already in trouble before the Canucks hired him.

Anything is a decline after winning top prize.

:frantic:

Fortunately, posts on CDC have absolutely nothing to do with what actually happens on the ice. Feel better?

They don't but if you have everyone walking around thinking we have made the playoffs, and we miss it, just imagine what would happen to this place.

I don't want it to happen but like they say "Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst".

I think the main reasons for the Bruins lack of success is that Chara seems to have lost a step, no replacement for Iginla, no Boychuk, and injuries.

Canucks don't have anything to do with that. The Bruins were bound for regression this year. Even if they make the playoffs, it wouldn't be surprising if they miss next year.

Willie is worth being in the discussion, but I'd have to think Jack Capuano, and Laviolette are really the only two choices.

You could also make a case for Hartley, or Maurice, too. Has Willie made this team better, or are they just as good as they were before Torts?

I think most writers will go with Laviolette simply because of the drastic change to the Preds mentality and their success.

I understand Boston wanting to re-up Krejci. He had been a good soldier for them, and showed up big in both playoff runs.

But now that he's had some injury trouble, it's looking like a deal that will hamstring them for years. 7.25 million cap hit until he's going on 35. Not only has he never really been a "star player", but it's looking like he may have peaked.

Obviously they would have been better off keeping Seguin, and dealing Krejci. With Seguin and Hamilton, they could have continued being contenders for many more years - all on the Leafs' fail!

Trading Seguin, losing Iginla, Horton and Boychuk without replacing them because of substandard cap management, mediocre drafting in the last 3-4 years outside of Pastrnak, there's a reason people are calling for Chiarelli's head in Boston. They're still good, but the depth of scoring that made them great just isn't there right now.

Benning's done a good job so far here, but the Bruins were already in trouble before the Canucks hired him.

Benning is good Ive liked almost all of his moves so far. He was partly responsible for the Sequin trade though, which is a black mark on his resume in my opinion. Chiarelli takes the brunt of that bomb of a trade though.

Actually, Imagine if we can get Eriksson from them for something like Higgins, Kassian and a 2nd. And then trade Richardson to another team for a 2nd.

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Eriksson/Bonino/Vrbata

Matthias/Vey/Dorsett

Kenins/Horvat/Hansen

Although I really like Eriksson, and have suggested going after him in the past, I wouldn't include the pick in that deal.

Considering how Kass has just exploded, I'd almost expect it coming the other way.

Actually, Imagine if we can get Eriksson from them for something like Higgins, Kassian and a 2nd. And then trade Richardson to another team for a 2nd.

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Eriksson/Bonino/Vrbata

Matthias/Vey/Dorsett

Kenins/Horvat/Hansen

I don't think you realize the value of a second, it isn't simply a throw in

Boychuk was traded this year.

One criticism I don't really get is blaming Boston for their cap problems now. All their fans praised the iginla signing last year to make a run knowing that they only could sign him to that contract because the bonus money would carry over to this year. It was a trade off they all loved last year.

Being capped out like them is just a natural progression of being elite. You have a lot of players on undervalued contracts playing above their cap hit and then after all the success it comes time to pay them. Of course you can't keep the same team together. Chicago experienced the same thing after their first cup and will most likely experience it again once Kane and toews new cap hits take effect.

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Eriksson/Bonino/Vrbata

Matthias/Vey/Dorsett

Kenins/Horvat/Hansen

So you would like to recreate the Neely trade?

Up and coming power forward for and over the hill injury prone former scorer.

why not take out Higgins and make it a first?

Back on topic, maybe the Canucks are just 1 year ahead on the crash and rebuild track.

Remember the Bruins got 2 2nds for Boychuck

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Eriksson/Bonino/Vrbata

Matthias/Vey/Dorsett

Kenins/Horvat/Hansen

Eriksson was voted the softest player in the league by his peers a couple of years back. Why would you want him? and give up 2 playoff players for a floater and a 2nd? you must be a Bruins fan! Add that to your comment that the Canucks could somehow pull a 2nd for Richardson who we would be lucky to get a 5th for, leads me to my next point kids, Don't smoke crack!

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Eriksson/Bonino/Vrbata

Matthias/Vey/Dorsett

Kenins/Horvat/Hansen

Kassian seems to finally be emerging from his shell and has been kicking ass for us, and now you want to trade him? LOL.

Archived