The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Roy Pulls Goalie with 11 minutes left in the 3rd.

Zfetch

The Avalanche were on a powerplay, with 11 minutes left to go in the 3rd, down by 3, and Patrick Roy decides to do a gutsy move and pull his goalie.
Eric Nystrom scored into the open net and made them pay for it.

Gif was too big, video added in the meanwhile till I can obtain a smaller gif.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHqJocYPuw

:lol:

Why not?I

if it had worked, he would have looked like a genius again; down by that much, with that little to go,either you make something special happen and get lucky, or its not your night, I'd rather see coaches take the chance than play it safe all the time.

Good idea IMO. No point trying half-assedly at a powerplay, letting it go to waste and then slowly let the game slip away. 3 goals is attainable with half a game to go, not with 2 minutes left in the game. They score one on that PP and suddenly they've got 10 minutes to score 2 goals.

Sure it was never going to happen but that was their best shot at coming back in the game. May seem stupid because it back-fired, but pros and cons considered I'd say it's the best shot they had so a pretty clever move.

Our PP is at a near Buffalo level of ineptitude. It's just so woefully bad it's hard to blame him doing anything and everything he can to get it going. It's not like we lost by one goal and even then it has been clear for months the playoffs weren't going to happen this year anyways.

Calgary scored on their own net this year against the canucks too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32S61SJ3X0

04:40 VAN EN - Yannick Weber (2) ASST: NONE 1 - 0 VAN

It does make me wonder if this was indeed the earliest EN goal in NHL history.

Archived