The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Roy Pulls Goalie with 11 minutes left in the 3rd.

Zfetch

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=de705615-ba83-4a99-b8ad-d71cdd7f560d&k=25155

"...the time in Toronto when Keenan brought his feud with general manager Brian Burke to the boiling point by pulling the goalie early in the third period -- a move that humiliated a boss whom Keenan felt had not provided him with players to win in conventional fashion.

When Keenan tried the move a second time, with about 10 minutes to go, the Leafs scored into the empty net en route to a 5-1 win at Maple Leaf Gardens and Burke, flushed with anger, turned to assistant Dave Nonis and said calmly: "Every camera in this building is on us right now, so don't react."

Burke reacted two months later by firing Keenan, whose 14 months in Vancouver had turmoil to last a lifetime."

People have actually done mathematical models on the best time to pull the goalie. I read a paper that (if I remember right) suggested the optimal time to pull the goalie is much sooner than the traditional standard of around a minute. Roy may be on to something here. If you're down late by 3 goals, you really don't have much to lose, might as well try for it when you have 10 minutes left rather than 3. Especially being on the power play.

No.

I'm sure the record goes to some team who was on a delayed penalty call and the puck accidentally slid into their net.

Right.

I remember the Canucks had done that once before against the Coyotes.

Wasn't it O'Brien?

Fkin O'Brien

The Canucks couldn't get out of their zone on this play. They tried to pass the puck up, but a Coyote blocked the puck and it slid into our open net. The refs should have blown the play down before since the Coyote had already touched it.

The Canucks couldn't get out of their zone on this play. They tried to pass the puck up, but a Coyote blocked the puck and it slid into our open net. The refs should have blown the play down before since the Coyote had already touched it.

I believe the rules state that the shorthanded team has to actually gain control of the puck in order for play to be blown dead. A bit of a grey area on that one, but I think the refs made the right call as it was O'Brien that actually propelled the puck into the net and Phoenix never actually had the puck.

You're down by 3 and need to shift the momentum, why not?

The chances of coming back from being down by 3 are pretty astronomical. You go 6 on 4 and quickly pop one, the other team might start to sweat and make mistakes.

If it doesn't work, what's the worst that can happen? You lose by 4 instead of by 3?

Good gamble

Archived