The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think Eddie made a statement vs the Bruins about who is #1 when Miller is out

*Buzzsaw*

It's obvious Lack is #1 until Miller returns. The only way Lack will lose that position is if he plays really poorly, and Markstrom lights it up. Even still, it would probably be split down the middle at worst.

Both goalies have not said one single thing that I'm aware of in regards to the role they have been expected to play this season. Markstrom went to the minors like a true professional. Lack remained a backup without asking for a trade, and is now expected to shoulder the load with Miller out, again - without a peep. Both are quality teammates - though I think the goofiness of Lack is probably very well received and he's probably a great guy to be around.

Everyone knows we are not going to be able to keep all 3 goalies - especially if we don't (or can't) send Markstrom back to the minors. Should Markstrom prove a capable backup during this time, I say whoever should get traded is the one who gets us the most in return - and that's likely Lack. I'd hate to see the guy leave... just as I hated to see Schneider leave as well. But something has gotta give.

On a related note: Man, Lack's performance against the Bruins was remarkable. If he keeps playing like that, he'll be a number 1 goalie somewhere soon enough.

Miller 28-15. 6 shutouts

Lack 7-7. 1 shut out

People calling miller so so or average then saying what a beast lack is.

The wierd fascination with back ups that the fans think are all superstars and way better than the real star is just bizzar in this market. And It goes way back before the Cory Louie thing. Why do cdcers want there be a controversy so bad, you can't just be happy that we have a bonfied started in miller and a solid back up in lack or markstrom.

Exactly this. They're just people who want controversy because their lives lack substance

There has been a lot of talk on these boards about how good Markstrom is, and how we should trade Lack... WRONG.

As good as Markstrom has been... his performance this year has been in the AHL... a long way from the big league.

As Lack said in his post-game interview... what happened last year at the same time was a different situation than now... he was recovering from his surgery... he didn't have the time to work on his game and learn from Melanson, and the team wasn't playing very well.

I think he has to be considered the Canucks #1 goaltender for the rest of the season.

That doesn't mean he should play as much as Miller did, he will need to split the games more evenly with Markstrom, but he should get the bulk of the starts, probably 2 out of 3.

I do think he should sit out the next game vs Buffalo... that would be a good opportunity for Markstrom to get his baptism as a Canuck netminder... plus Eddie was beat up considerably with all the crashing of the net by the Bruins, so he probably needs a break.

Needs a break? A true #1 would be itching to get back in. I like Lack and I do see him being a #1 or 1A in the NHL.He has proven to be a very reliable back-up but that's it. If last year taught us anything it is that he is not ready for the full-time pressure of a Number 1 spot. Granted last year under Torts could have been an anomaly. He's pretty good but people seem to have short memories for him and not for Miller. That New Jersey game was awful (whole team). He's really not more consistent or better than Miller has been.

This is a huge opportunity for both Lack and Benning to see if Eddie is capable of #1 status with 22 games remaining in a heated playoff drive.

One thing for sure is we will not be trading a goalie now until the season is over.

If Lack takes this opportunity and becomes the next Dubnyk his career will take off whether on the Canucks or another NHL team

We should not discount Miller being moved although it is very remote that they will.

If SJS misses the playoffs this year the team will be blown up from GM, coach, and players and ANA is built for winning now except questionable goaltending, Miller may agree to go to a California team to be with his wife and newborn child.

Miller 28-15. 6 shutouts

Lack 7-7. 1 shut out

People calling miller so so or average then saying what a beast lack is.

The wierd fascination with back ups that the fans think are all superstars and way better than the real star is just bizzar in this market. And It goes way back before the Cory Louie thing. Why do cdcers want there be a controversy so bad, you can't just be happy that we have a bonfied started in miller and a solid back up in lack or markstrom.

Precisely. This market seems to love the under dog, always has. Lack is a character and charismatic but he is the inferior goalie in this equation. The only thing that he has over Miller is age. That's it.I really hope we get some good hockey out of him. The Canucks seem to find ways to win and that bodes well for potentially creating a scare for someone come playoff time.

I don't think this town is obsessed with it's back ups at all- that's a false mother statement that lacks insight:

We were obsessed with Luongo until the heart break of game 7 and the bad outings he had in Boston- actually- awful outings he and the team had- he was prickly gor the majority of his time here and then Schneider came a long all the while, like able and funny and excellent on this ice, cheaper arguable just as good as Lu (better now) and didn't have the chip on his shoulder.

Lu's time came he was done with us and we were done with him but Schneider was moved- enter Lack- even more like able than Schneider and certainly more like able than Lu- not nearly as good as Lu and none of the fans really felt Lack was ready to be #1 but Lu was done in Vancouver years ago and Torts just couldn't help himself - he wanted to stir the crap and press buttons and so he started Lack in the heritage classic- most fans and media agreed that was the wrong move short and long term.

Now Miller- huge cap hit, awesome at times, awful at times, a bit of a prima Donna and for sure not nearly as like able as lack. Lack 100% needed to be behind a veteran this year and most agree he was not ready to be # 1 all year on a playoff team. Now after some so so efforts Miller is injured and Lsck just had 2 absolutely spectacular games in pressure situations. He remains like able and built up a lot of good will with strong play until he hit injured last year - so no obsession, just logical- younger more like able and cheaper and if he plays better than miller, miller should go - trade him into a situation he is happy with!

Millers attitude is too close up Luongos a little prickly, a little "me first" a little older and grumpier and his play has been fine but not stellar.

Just logic, no obsession here. If lack plays average you have to keep miller - discussion over.

Love Eddie, thought he should have been our #1 from the start. The guy's got the perfect attitude to be this city's goalie.

JB should be kicking himself for not going after Jonas Hiller.

Unfortunately with Miller's contract, his so-so play and small goalie market Lack is likely the guy that gets shipped out since he fetches the bigger return.

Doesn't Miller have a NTC?

I don't think this town is obsessed with it's back ups at all- that's a false mother statement that lacks insight:

We were obsessed with Luongo until the heart break of game 7 and the bad outings he had in Boston- actually- awful outings he and the team had- he was prickly gor the majority of his time here and then Schneider came a long all the while, like able and funny and excellent on this ice, cheaper arguable just as good as Lu (better now) and didn't have the chip on his shoulder.

Lu's time came he was done with us and we were done with him but Schneider was moved- enter Lack- even more like able than Schneider and certainly more like able than Lu- not nearly as good as Lu and none of the fans really felt Lack was ready to be #1 but Lu was done in Vancouver years ago and Torts just couldn't help himself - he wanted to stir the crap and press buttons and so he started Lack in the heritage classic- most fans and media agreed that was the wrong move short and long term.

Now Miller- huge cap hit, awesome at times, awful at times, a bit of a prima Donna and for sure not nearly as like able as lack. Lack 100% needed to be behind a veteran this year and most agree he was not ready to be # 1 all year on a playoff team. Now after some so so efforts Miller is injured and Lsck just had 2 absolutely spectacular games in pressure situations. He remains like able and built up a lot of good will with strong play until he hit injured last year - so no obsession, just logical- younger more like able and cheaper and if he plays better than miller, miller should go - trade him into a situation he is happy with!

Millers attitude is too close up Luongos a little prickly, a little "me first" a little older and grumpier and his play has been fine but not stellar.

Just logic, no obsession here. If lack plays average you have to keep miller - discussion over.

This has gone on a lot longer than Luongo/Schneider. Mclean/Whitmore, Felix Potvin/Backup Bob Essensa to name a couple more goalie controversies. I can go back further if you wish. This town has a long and storied history of parking the number 1 goalie under a bus and chanting the back-ups' name. Consider your history lesson complete.

Now Miller- huge cap hit, awesome at times, awful at times, a bit of a prima Donna and for sure not nearly as like able as lack. Lack 100% needed to be behind a veteran this year and most agree he was not ready to be # 1 all year on a playoff team. Now after some so so efforts Miller is injured and Lsck just had 2 absolutely spectacular games in pressure situations. He remains like able and built up a lot of good will with strong play until he hit injured last year - so no obsession, just logical- younger more like able and cheaper and if he plays better than miller, miller should go - trade him into a situation he is happy with!, and the

There have been games where Miller has looked very average, however you can't say there were many games if any where the team was playing well and he let us down, on the flip side of that coin there have been games we had no business winning with the way the team was playing and Miller stole us points. The top goalies steal you games. Lack stole one last night and on Long Island. So draw your own conclusions of what will happen next year, but either way, Eddie is doing a good job of ensuring he's a #1 somewhere next season.

Archived