The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think Eddie made a statement vs the Bruins about who is #1 when Miller is out

*Buzzsaw*

Eddie is the best backup. That's as far as ill go. He is not ready to take the lead role for the whole season. Maybe when he gets traded this summer, he will get a shot at being Number 1

I dont see any reason to trade Lack whatsoever. People come down on him so hard for faltering when taking on the (nearly) last 20 starts of last season, without a break. Getting thrown into the starting roll, after a surprising trade, while the team is still fighting for a playoff spot, would do a number on anyone. You rarely see a goaltender play that may consecutive games without getting a break, never mind a rookie. He also had a back injury to deal with on top of everything.

I stand behind the fact that we never should have signed Miller in the first place and should have rolled the dice with Lack and Markstrom (or signed another quality backup). Lacks stats have shown we would likely be in at least the same position we are now anyway, but with an excess of Cap to sign another scoring forward or add serious depth to the blueline.

At worst we dont make the playoffs (which most suspected we wouldnt anyway) and we good a good pick in a deep draft.

Markstrom has shown that he has the talent but has shown nothing that proves that he can (as of yet) translate that to the NHL level.

it was one game, calm down

1 game?

Since December Lack:

14 gp .941 sv% 1.78 gaa

- 11 of the 14 games Lack came in as the starter (6-4-1)

- In only 4 games of the 11 games he started did he let in 3 goals or more, and those included tough starts against the Isles (2), Pens, Jets, Flames, Hawks, Bruins and Preds.

- In the starts against these teams he is 5-3-1 with 2 losses being 1-0 against the Flames and Dallas (.961 sv % .1.0 gaa)

- In relief of Miller this season (5 gp) has has given up only 2 goals while facing an average of 16 shots

- Lack has had only 4 sub .910 sv games since December, and only 2 sub .900

- In those 11 starts the Canucks gave up 7 short handed goals. Lack faced an average of over 8 short handed shots per game (all in starts).

I'm hoping Markstrom gets the Buffalo game after the crease-bombing that Eddie took last night. Eddie is #1 without a doubt, but I don't want him to get the same proportion of games that Miller was. He needs to ease into the workload and we need to see what Markstrom can do, so why not something around 60/40 in favour of Eddie?

He's played amazing lately. Miller's the team's #1, but Lack is doing a damn good job filling in so far.

I'm pretty sure he meant until Miller comes back.

Then the thread shouldn't even exist. Logically, if Miller is out, Lack is next in line from both a "next on the pecking order" basis as well as experience wise. Of course Lack is the #1 while Miller is out. One game is not a statement.

This next stretch of games is a good test to see if Lack IS capable of being a starter in this league, which will only serve to increase his trade value at the draft... Markstrom is the future for the Canucks until Demko is ready.

Everyone loves Lack, as do I, however as far as asset management goes, I believe that Markstrom is just as good, if not better than Lack is now. That is likely what management believes as well, therefore it stands to reason that you sell high on Lack having an immediate replacement already in the system.

The return from Lack will serve to further improve the team elsewhere on the roster.

People need to to stop getting emotionally attached to the players, and become emotionally attached to the team; but then that's too simple of a concept for a lot of people to grasp.

Miller 28-15. 6 shutouts

Lack 7-7. 1 shut out

People calling miller so so or average then saying what a beast lack is.

The wierd fascination with back ups that the fans think are all superstars and way better than the real star is just bizzar in this market. And It goes way back before the Cory Louie thing. Why do cdcers want there be a controversy so bad, you can't just be happy that we have a bonfied started in miller and a solid back up in lack or markstrom.

Would people please stop equating wins as if they are a goalie stat. Maybe you should look at stats that actually equate to a goalies play:

Miller has had one real stretch of great games (10) , but on further analysis you come to some realizations;

From Dec 20 - Jan 19 - 7-2-1 (2 shutouts)

Wins - Panthers, Canes, Yotes, Flames, Sharks, Flyers, Wings

Losses - Kings, Panthers, Ducks

Shutouts - Flyers, Canes

So about 1/2 against playoff calibre teams.

Since that stretch:

10 gp 4-6-0 .884 sv % 3.0 gaa

(I am discounting the Isles game as he only played for 1 period and had 10 saves...and over a 10 games stretch, what appears as a win and a shutout skews the stats entirely. Win and shutout should go to Eddy, but thats how the stats work)

I think Eddie is in a much better place mentally to show what he can do as the man this year. I think he was rattled last year after the Massachusetts maniac threw Roberto under the bus for the outdoor game and left him holding the bag. At the same time, I don't get why people hope he does well just so he can supplant Miller. Millers numbers this year have been pretty good considering the team in front of him. Hell, I'd pay Miller 6 a year just to keep beating the Sharks- it sucked arse getting owned by them for the last couple of years.

3 of those games he came in relief, so take those out.

in the 11 full games his GAA is 2.28 and save % is .924

still good numbers but 11 games is still a really small sample size

I actually mentioned that in the post. Im really hoping you are not calling the game against the Isles a relief game. You dont call a 27 save shutout performance like that a 'relief'. It may not show it in that stats but that was Lacks win and his SO, no matter what it says.

In reality he came in relief 2 times (Isles game not withstanding)

12 gp .932 sv% 2.08 gaa

I think it was a given that Lack was going to be the #1 until Miller gets back. Markstrom has been great in the AHL for us and will probably get a few starts, but there isn't any question who the starter is. This also gives teams a look at Markstrom for deals at the draft.

... The only thing that he has over Miller is age. That's it. ...

Well, perhaps there are a couple of other things. As of this morning, from http://canucks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

GAA Save%

Miller 2.47 .913

Lack 2.40 .921

Frankly, I don't see a controversy. Miller is the Canucks' #1 goalie.

If anyone wants to argue the point, Save% and GAA right now favour Lack. W-L and Shutouts, as others have already pointed out, favour Miller. When I last took a close look at the situation a few months ago Lack had the tougher deployment by a fair margin, but my guess is that will have changed somewhat.

Those that argue in favour of Miller can point, deservedly or not, to Lack's failures in the late season with the Canucks last year. Those in favour of Lack can point, deservedly or not, to Miller's failures in the late season and playoffs with St Louis last year.

There are fair and unfair arguments to be made on both sides, that have nothing to do with age.

one game.

I'm still excited to see Markstrom get a shot, isn't everyone?

Guess you weren't here last year. He got 3 starts and played so "well" that Torts felt compelled to play Eddie 17 games in a row.

Now I'm not hating on Markstrom because I am optimistic that he will keep improving as a pro goalie. My only question is when will he top out. As for Eddie I can't believe the backhanded compliments that the guy is getting. He has played countless games this year with pretty much no run support and has at least maintained a sparkling save % even if he hasn't won as many games as Miller. But let's not forget that Eddie has had long layoffs and, as per Canuck tradition, always plays the 2nd of back-to-back road games and otherwise gets all the tough crappy games. And the result? He has beat Chicago, Boston and the Isles with aplomb. If it were up to me I would move Miller whenever I could max out the return on him and start the "rebuild" era (for that's sure what it looks like is happening on this team) with a Lack/Markstrom tandem. Both of them have many good years left in them (unlike Miller IMHO) and both are likely to get better. Plus they're cheaper.

Archived