The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think Eddie made a statement vs the Bruins about who is #1 when Miller is out

*Buzzsaw*

Well, perhaps there are a couple of other things. As of this morning, from http://canucks.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

GAA Save%

Miller 2.47 .913

Lack 2.40 .921

Frankly, I don't see a controversy. Miller is the Canucks' #1 goalie.

If anyone wants to argue the point, Save% and GAA right now favour Lack. W-L and Shutouts, as others have already pointed out, favour Miller. When I last took a close look at the situation a few months ago Lack had the tougher deployment by a fair margin, but my guess is that will have changed somewhat.

There are fair arguments to be made on both sides-and they go well beyond age.

The thing is W's and Ls are a team stat, not a goalie stat. Shutouts are but no one can say that Miller has been stealing games for this team.

I think the deployment has been similar (with Lack maybe having the edge)

Since January:

Millers wins have come against Pathers (2), Wings, Flyers, Canes, Sabres, Pens, Bruins, Rangers (a game in which he game up 4 goals)

His losses have come against Wild (2), Flames, Bolts, Ducks, Panthers, Kings

Just as a comparison in limited starts (12 - including the Isles game) Lack has won games (7) against;

Bruins, Isles (2), Wild, Hawks, Jets, Pens

..and lost games (5) against:

Devils, Preds, Flames, Stars, Sens (OT) - with the losses to the Stars and Flames being 1-0 with a .961 sv %

The thing is W's and Ls are a team stat, not a goalie stat. Shutouts are but no one can say that Miller has been stealing games for this team.

I think the deployment has been similar (with Lack maybe having the edge)

Since January:

Millers wins have come against Pathers (2), Wings, Flyers, Canes, Sabres, Pens, Bruins, Rangers (a game in which he game up 4 goals)

His losses have come against Wild (2), Flames, Bolts, Ducks, Panthers, Kings

Just as a comparison in limited starts (12 - including the Isles game) Lack has won games (7) against;

Bruins, Isles (2), Wild, Hawks, Jets, Pens

..and lost games (5) against:

Devils, Preds, Flames, Stars, Sens (OT) - with the losses to the Stars and Flames being 1-0 with a .961 sv %

I dislike how you point out he gave up 4 goals. They were all good goals and I still think he stole that game, he made some pretty spectacular saves.

He has also stolen us games against the Sharks and has quite a few shutouts under his belt this season.

Stop with the controversy, sample sizes, when we you guys ever learn.

At the time, and possibly still...

Luongo > Schneider

And still

Luongo > Lack

Miller > Lack

Van has developed Lack through the org and he is now at a point that he can be a #1. Lack and the Canucks lucked out a bit last night but a very good effort by Lack none the less.

IMO Miller should be traded because he brings the most back to the org. Moving Lack will be at such a discount that the loss will be to much, ie a 3rd rounder at best. A Lack/Markstrom pairing compliments the new Canuck time line. I suggest there are as many questions about how much longer Miller will be a top flight tender as to whether Lack will be a solid NHL tender.

I am sure JB is talking to Rollie regularly and as a good assessment.

He might have been lucky but Lack stole the game against Boston.

I dislike how you point out he gave up 4 goals. They were all good goals and I still think he stole that game, he made some pretty spectacular saves.

He has also stolen us games against the Sharks and has quite a few shutouts under his belt this season.

Luongo > Schneider

And still

Luongo > Lack

Miller > Lack

You dont steal a game with a .882 sv %...his team won that game by scoring more goals...plain and simple.

Schnieder is better than Luongo. Was then, is now. Luongo is better than Lack....at least for now...but not by that much.

Miller has yet to play better than Lack this season with Lack having the better stats.

Luongo > Schneider

And still

Luongo > Lack

Miller > Lack

Slightly off topic, but taking this season into consideration I believe Florida would be in a playoff spot right now if it was Schneider in net for the Panthers instead of Louie. Can't prove it, but Schneider has better numbers on a team full of geezers and cast off players.

As for Lack, if the sample size is too small to consider him a legit #1, then it is also too small to dispel that he is also.

I think this is his ball to run with, because I doubt Miller will be back in playing form any time soon. We will know more either way by season's end.

Guess you weren't here last year. He got 3 starts and played so "well" that Torts felt compelled to play Eddie 17 games in a row.

Now I'm not hating on Markstrom because I am optimistic that he will keep improving as a pro goalie. My only question is when will he top out. As for Eddie I can't believe the backhanded compliments that the guy is getting. He has played countless games this year with pretty much no run support and has at least maintained a sparkling save % even if he hasn't won as many games as Miller. But let's not forget that Eddie has had long layoffs and, as per Canuck tradition, always plays the 2nd of back-to-back road games and otherwise gets all the tough crappy games. And the result? He has beat Chicago, Boston and the Isles with aplomb. If it were up to me I would move Miller whenever I could max out the return on him and start the "rebuild" era (for that's sure what it looks like is happening on this team) with a Lack/Markstrom tandem. Both of them have many good years left in them (unlike Miller IMHO) and both are likely to get better. Plus they're cheaper.

Well that's just not true. Markstrom got a few games at the end of the year, by that point our ENTIRE team had checked out. Torts wouldn't even let Markstrom have a chance when Eddie was on his 17 games or whatever it was, not because Markstrom played bad or anything.

Point is, we haven't seen him given a fair shot.

And just to be clear, I am in no way giving backhanded compliments to Eddie. But two good games just doesn't make you a bonafied #1. I actually feel both of our goalies have played decent this year, neither have been exceptional.

Slightly off topic, but taking this season into consideration I believe Florida would be in a playoff spot right now if it was Schneider in net for the Panthers instead of Louie. Can't prove it, but Schneider has better numbers on a team full of geezers and cast off players.

As for Lack, if the sample size is too small to consider him a legit #1, then it is also too small to dispel that he is also.

I think this is his ball to run with, because I doubt Miller will be back in playing form any time soon. We will know more either way by season's end.

Exactly, we're about to find out really soon what Lack's got in him. This season is a whole different story, since there is the pressure of actually contending for a playoff spot.

ok... while there is all this comparison of Miller and Lack, let's consider this:

Miller is paid 6 million. Markstrom is paid 1.2m. Difference of 4.8m.

What do you guys think would be better: To have our current team, or would it be more beneficial to have a Lack/Markstrom combo, trade Miller to, say, Edmonton or Arizona, and get a strong 2nd line winger or a solid defenseman in exchange? Keeping in mind, of course, that Lacks' numbers are indeed better than Miller's.

To me, that's a no-brainer.

I have nothing against Miller - he's a decent goalie. But Lack is arguably better (and likely to improve), at a far lower cap hit. Such a trade would also allow Markstrom to get the NHL experience he really needs at this point, and will make him feel better about actually seeing his career finally advance.

What do you guys think would be better: To have our current team, or would it be more beneficial to have a Lack/Markstrom combo, trade Miller to, say, Edmonton or Arizona, and get a strong 2nd line winger or a solid defenseman in exchange? Keeping in mind, of course, that Lacks' numbers are indeed better than Miller's.

How do you propose getting Miller to agree to either destination?

Eddie is the best backup. That's as far as ill go. He is not ready to take the lead role for the whole season. Maybe when he gets traded this summer, he will get a shot at being Number 1

I'm not keen on trading him and having an ageing Miller for 2 more years. If we think longer term, Lack and (hopefully) Markstrom might be a dynamic duo. The money spent on Miller could land a scoring forward or a PMD.

Would people please stop equating wins as if they are a goalie stat. Maybe you should look at stats that actually equate to a goalies play:

Miller has had one real stretch of great games (10) , but on further analysis you come to some realizations;

From Dec 20 - Jan 19 - 7-2-1 (2 shutouts)

Wins - Panthers, Canes, Yotes, Flames, Sharks, Flyers, Wings

Losses - Kings, Panthers, Ducks

Shutouts - Flyers, Canes

So about 1/2 against playoff calibre teams.

Since that stretch:

10 gp 4-6-0 .884 sv % 3.0 gaa

(I am discounting the Isles game as he only played for 1 period and had 10 saves...and over a 10 games stretch, what appears as a win and a shutout skews the stats entirely. Win and shutout should go to Eddy, but thats how the stats work)

so lets not use the stats associated with goalies let just use the ones that workout to the way you want.

bottom line he's .500 his number are good but he hasn't played in nearly as many games as Miller so whats to say his number would be better or worse. if a goalie plays one game and gets a shutout his number are gaa o.oo sa%1.00 so i guess that makes him better than every goaltender in the world.lets make him the next starter he obviously a superstar. come on. lack has proven absolutely nothing in the nhl other than he's a capable back up. its to bad miller got hurt because like it or not he is vancouver best goaltender and he has the resume to prove it. Benning didn't sign Miller to trade him,Lack is expendable we have two more just like him.unproven.

Well, I just picked those teams because they obviously need goaltending help. But I'm guessing there would be other destinations he'd be willing to go to that aren't so horrible. San Jose maybe...?

The fact is, if he is tradable I say we would be best off doing so. I was never keen on the 6 million dollar contract in the first place. Of course, he bounced back like I'm sure was hoped, I'd be eating those words. But he didn't, and hasn't. And won't.

Gotta give Eddie full marks for taking the opportunity given to him over the past couple of games...IMO, the best 100 minutes of goaltending that Eddie has played since he's been a Canuck. Won't quite say he's making a statement other than letting everyone know that he's ready, willing and able to be the guy to replace Miller while Miller is on the shelf. So far so good.

All these people saying its one game wouldn't be saying that if lack got destroyed last night.

One good game from a player does not make him a great player. I would really like consistency to be the bench mark used to determine how good a player really is. Now I love Lack as a goalie but personally, I would not sell the farm yet and trade another player until Lack shows me that consistency. He has the tools and devotion for the job but can he carry on with his good play.

He needs more games under his belt to get my final vote as a #1 goalkeeper.

Archived