The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks targeting Matt O'Connor

jono2009

NHL playing time wouldnt even be on my radar as a 23 year old college goalie. First on my list would be what kind of goaltending instruction there is and what resources do i have in that organization to improve.

The Canucks are near the top of that list with Melanson which is why were even in the running.

To add to that, the teams who can offer a NCAA goalie NHL playing time right away are not exactly cream of the crop, nor do they stand a chance to be any time in the near future.

1 of 14 teams, Benning wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't asking about him. We have lots of goalies, but will be trading one for sure this summer and maybe a second is moved as well. If that's the case, it'd be an easier sell to bring him in but as it stand he'll get better opportunity elsewhere.

Highly scouted College standout Justin Schultz went the route of wanting guaranteed NHL minutes and not being developed properly and look how he turned out... Yes getting guaranteed time in the NHL sounds good, but I would rather develop properly like how a Cory Schneider did and come up to the show ready to be there and then getting a chance with his fat contract once hes 27-28.

What tender wouldn't want time with Rollie. His rep with tenders is certainly growing. I am hoping that Lack's performance will give Benning confidence to move Miller. Canucks have invested in Lack to the point where he should be able to be a starter. Miller gets the org another draft pick or prospect. Next year Lack and Markstrom are a tandem that will do the job.

Drop Clouston down to coach Utica and bring Green up to run the offense.

A Boston University (O'Connor) + Boston College (Demko) tandem for the future? Sounds good.

The thing is O'Connor will have other offers from teams that are ready to give him some NHL games right now and have less goalies than we do. I'm not sure he will choose us, as he would be considered a prospect in the Canucks.

But we're moving one of Miller, Lack and Markstrom in the draft, a spot will be open in Utica for him to develop. I would definitely support his signing.

We could send Markstrom down, no waivers, sign this kid to a cheaper contract, and have him play out the rest of the season as backup

Miller cant be moved at draft because he is injured.

Hopefully he'll be healthy before the draft comes in June.

Realistically, there will be 2 of Miller/Lack/Markstrom with the Canucks next season. If O'Connor wants immediate playing time in the NHL he's very, very unlikely to see Vancouver as the place to go to get it.

A spot can easily be open for him in Utica, though. as both Eriksson and Cannata have expiring contracts and Markstrom won't clear waivers to get to Utica next season.

I have said this before about O'Connor. Really don't understand why anyone would be against adding a valuable piece to this organization. If you can replace another of our goalies that means more assets to gain in any potential trades.

Oh no we have too many centres, lets not pick up Crosby...

Its obvious we have a pair of premier young Swedish goalies, we must have a pair of premier young amurican goalie prospects behind them!

Don you all know something about nothings!

Gosh Golly!

But seriously, since goaltending is practically the most important position why would we want not depth? Build healthy competition and have a solid pipeline to ensure we always have the best goaltending possible!

Archived