The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks targeting Matt O'Connor

jono2009

I will never ever understand why, when the Canucks are looking to add a good solid prospect at any position, fans get up in arms about the cupboard being "full" and there being no room for a player.

There is nothing wrong with overloading a position, ever. It lets you deal from a position of strength in the future if need be.

I will never ever understand why, when the Canucks are looking to add a good solid prospect at any position, fans get up in arms about the cupboard being "full" and there being no room for a player.

There is nothing wrong with overloading a position, ever. It lets you deal from a position of strength in the future if need be.

I'm pretty sure people were pointing out the fact that we have 5 goalies in the system because that might intice O'Connor to go to a team with less depth at that position, rather than being "up in arms". Either way, O'Connor himself stated that it was not an issue, and he has shown interest in coming to Vancouver. Going to be interesting to see where he goes. I wouldn't touch Edmonton with a 20 foot pole if I was him.

Austin Lotz.

Long shot at best.

Yeah, he looked good at the camp, but he hasn't really impressed that much in the WHL. Maybe he develops more, or can get in on an AHL contract, but I'd much rather have O'Connor if we can find the room for him.

I'm pretty sure people were pointing out the fact that we have 5 goalies in the system because that might intice O'Connor to go to a team with less depth at that position, rather than being "up in arms". Either way, O'Connor himself stated that it was not an issue, and he has shown interest in coming to Vancouver. Going to be interesting to see where he goes. I wouldn't touch Edmonton with a 20 foot pole if I was him.

I'm actually speaking generally because it is something I see very often. The comment "why do we want this player, we have ___ ___ ____ and ____" and it is something I don't understand. Obviously "up in arms" was a hyperbole.

So Eriksson walks in the summer? The only way I see this working is if he signed and he's the starter in Utica next year.

Word is that Ericsson is gone at the end of the season regardless. He gave it another shot in NA, and played well in the AHL, but didn't even make the NHL for a cup of coffee. He'll make more in Europe.

Canucks have to be an attractive market for young goalies. They seem to be able to mold them into desirable NHL goaltenders. First Schneider, then Lack, now the turnaround for Markstrom. Compare that to the highly touted prospects/signings that have been poorly developed or thrust into positions they are not prepared for, that end up on the scrap heap.

With Ericsson leaving, and Markstrom not going back, and Demko 2-3 years away, there is a glaring hole in the organization - Comets' starting goaltender. O'Connor could step into that role, get developed into the professional game there for 2 years, and come up right when Miller's contract is up (and possibly hand the reigns directly to Demko). It's a perfect situation, provided that O'Connor is focused on his long-term career, rather than just making the bigs right away.

I haven't seen anything for sure about Eriksson, apart from maybe he'd be leaving if he's 4th in the depth chart again next year, but he did get a call up last year didn't he? Sure, it was only 20 days on the roster, it's not that he hasn't ever gotten an call up.

Ericsson will only be back if he is the back up mext season. He wanted to make the next step this year but we traded for Markstrom and signed Miller. Doubt he is back. I think we could promise O'Connor at least 45 AHL starts next season if signed.

• 1 month later...

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports · 7h 7 hours ago

Todd Reynolds : "Matt will be in Vancouver for a 1 day visit in April, we will visit 5-6 teams in 3-4 day period." #Canucks

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports · 7h 7 hours ago

The agent for B-U goalie Matt O’Connor, Todd Reynolds, tells me the #Canucks are still very much in the mix for his client.

Sounds like the Canucks are on his short list.

Hopefully it doesn't play out like usual where the Canucks are one of the last teams in the mix but ultimately lose out.

I think there's a good case to be made for the Canucks. Melanson obviously has a good track record of developing young goalies, and with Markstrom and Eriksson likely out of the picture, and Miller only having a couple years left, there will be room for O'Connor to move up.

Sounds like the Canucks are on his short list.

Hopefully it doesn't play out like usual where the Canucks are one of the last teams in the mix but ultimately lose out.

I think there's a good case to be made for the Canucks. Melanson obviously has a good track record of developing young goalies, and with Markstrom and Eriksson likely out of the picture, and Miller only having a couple years left, there will be room for O'Connor to move up.

Yeah, but then we'll have the whole "3 goalies" problem we have now, but instead of Miller, Lack, and Markstrom, we'd have Lack, Demko, and O'Connor. Not a bad problem, but still a problem nonetheless.

Yeah, but then we'll have the whole "3 goalies" problem we have now, but instead of Miller, Lack, and Markstrom, we'd have Lack, Demko, and O'Connor. Not a bad problem, but still a problem nonetheless.

I don't see it that way.

Demko will almost certainly be in college next year.

So next season it could potentially be:

Vancouver:

Miller/Lack

Utica:

O'Connor/Cannata

College:

Demko

The following season Miller gets traded and it becomes:

Vancouver:

Lack/O'Connor

Utica:

Demko/Cannata

Eventually leading to a Lack/Demko or Demko/O'Connor tandem based on development. Which fits the timeline of when I believe this team can get back to being a contender.

Archived