The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nucks begin talks with Dorsett regarding new deal; Richardson, not so much

I'd deal Richardson for a 3rd pick or another player because his role has been replaced by horvat

Sedin-sedin-kassian

Maathias-bonino-vrbata

Higgins-vey-Dorsett

Kenins-horvat-Hansen

Vey doesn't gel with this forward group so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dealt in a hockey deal

Good post man. Glad to hear they are hopefully signing Dorsett. He stands up for his teammates night in and night out. He's fast, tenacious and a great team player to have. Richy on the other hand. I like him, he brings face off skill, and grit. But as op stated Bo will replace him next year. And we have a lot of youth trying to make the transition to the big club. Time to open up a couple spots for them

I'd expect a pretty quiet trade deadline for the Canucks. Of course, things will be more interesting if some deals can be found, but:

(a) There were quite a few proposals on CDC that only made sense if the Canucks were to be sellers at the deadline, that is, out of the playoff hunt. I don't think there's enough time now before the deadline for the Canucks to fall out of contention for the playoffs in that time, so it seems pretty clear from statements by Canucks management that they want to do everything they can to help the team make the playoffs and go as far as they can, but not by trading picks or propsects, that the Canucks aren't going to want to be sellers if it might hurt the chances to make the playoffs or hurt their chances in the playoffs. Suggestions that depend on the Canucks being out of the playoffs are out.

(b ) It has probably been clear from the management's statements against trading picks or prospects for immediate help that the Canucks don't rate to be buyers at the deadline.

(c ) As for more balanced deals that depend neither on gearing up for the playoffs nor dumping veterans to other teams that are gearing up, those deals get harder to make when a team is depleted by injuries. It is more difficult to trade an injured player than a healthy one (though the Kane deal shows some teams in some circumstances are willing to take on injured players they can't immediately use) and the Canucks are more likely to keep players around for depth purposes than they would be if the number of injuries were less extreme.

Anything could happen, but there's a decent chance this season's trade deadline isn't going to be a time of great movement for the Canucks. I see that as unfortunate because, with the depth the team appears to have at present, it might have been a good time to unload a contract or move a free agent the team is unlikely to keep for next year but if we need that player to play because of the number of injuries, we can't get something for him now in trade.

Are we more likely to trade honey badger now that Rotten Ron seems to be working out?

Just guessing, imo the Canucks will still keep Hansen but the likelihood of him being traded perhaps rises from the 5% range to the 10% range because of RK's success. That would still leave the odds 9 to 1 that the Canucks keep him.

Have a feeling these will be the top 3 lines next season:

Dank - Hank - Kass

Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

4th line consisting of Matthias/Dorsett/Vey/Gaunce or an FA/Virtanen if he gets his 9 games/Shinkaruk. Higgins I just don't see with the team moving forward.

Need more depth than that.

Horvat probably gets promoted, Burrows demoted and we probably have another top 6 forward coming in

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

UFA-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Burrows

Dorsett-UFA/Prospect-Hansen

Vey, etc. etc. etc.

clifford just got a 5yr 8m deaL. He is younger but than dorsett but something close to that deal would interest me cap hit wise. Dorsett to me is a chris neil 2.0. Not as big or intimidating, but drops the gloves and shows he has a nose for the net a bit aswell. He definitely needs to be resigned

Tanev is a RFA though isn't he? If talks don't get anywhere all they have to do is qualify him and that extends the negotiation period until the arbitration hearing. Most times the deals are done before arbitration.

Honestly I wouldn't mind arbitration. I'd assume the arbitrator would give Tanev what he's worth and his agent wants probably 1-2 more with the bone headed contracts handed out to guys like leddy, spurgeon, England, etc...

I love Tanev but he's not worth more 9 mill over 3 years.

Dors, richy and ESPECIALLY Matthias should be extended. They're the type of guys you need in this locker room for years to come.

I think the discussions are all hampered by the uncertainty around the cap next year. Benning said as much a while back.

Unless they have a really good idea whether the players will decline the 5% escalator clause (word is they might this time to avoid big escrow), then you can't really finalize deals.

If the cap is $69 million next year, then all of our UFAs and RFA will get signed for reasonable dollars since there will be a ton of teams in cap hell and lots of players looking for jobs.

On the bad side, it means that you might need to risk losing players to free agency because we shouldn't trade away any of our three UFAs at the deadline. At the right price, they all bring skills to the team that we lack and would be great signings.

Dorsett is more valuable to this team than Richardson. Horvat can take over for Richardson. It will be sad to see him go, he provides great depth to the team but when another player looks to be able to do the same job (plus more) for less money you go with that route and take the money you save for a piece that is missing.

Hope Richardson finds a good new home (if he does indeed go) and has another run at the cup.

I think they should definitely keep Dorsett. I wouldn't be against moving Richardson and Higgins, depending on the return. I don't think they would really net much though. If there's a market for Bieksa, I wouldn't be against trading him either... he's a good locker room guy and is a nice character to have on a team but his play has declined quite a bit. It would also free up cap room.

I don't think Higgins will net more than a pick. Richardson still has quite a bit of value to us and would be more valuable to another team but we would have to get a center in return since I don't think the Canucks will go very far with Vey centering any line unless he can suddenly improve his FO%.

Based on memory, teams can go for stretches of terrible possession and still win but eventually it will catch up to them. The Canucks were an excellent faceoff team the years that they won President's trophies.

I have been on the boat of trading Hansen but I have to admit that he has gelled well with Horvat and Kenins. They have a good balance of skill, speed and grit. Jannik has put together a pretty decent season. He's not a guy that I would hope the Canucks' Stanley Cup hopes rest on a breakaway in OT, Game 7 of the Finals, but he's been solid.

I hope the Canucks do not trade Matthias but, again, it depends on what they get in return. Kassian has more upside than Matthias IMO, but Matthias is a surer bet - he has shown that he's a complete player and consistently uses his size and speed.

We do need a tough veteran for our bottom-6, but only if we get rid of Higgins or Burrows because this team is just getting filled with old pylons who are taking up time from Jensen, Shinkaruk and Virtanen who eventually need to break into this league.

We're seeing first hand how good the kids can be when they're played with veterans (look at Kassian after he gets a bit of time with the twins finally). We should try and work them in now, instead of sticking to guys like Dorsett, Higgins and Burrows.

Personally, I'd want to see this: trade Burrows to a contender who needs a good checking middle-6 forward (ie. Pittsburgh, TBL, anyone in the east really) for a B grade prospect or nice pick (around 20th-40th overall). That 4M+ cap hit hurts and we need to get rid of it while we can. I can deal with Higgins at 2ish million, but Burrows at that price is far too much, especially when we have so much locked up in the Sedins.

With Burrows gone, feel free to sign Dorsett for a year or two at under 2M. Here's our lineup for next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (he's hot right now, hopefully he learns consistency from the 2 most consistent players in the NHL over the last decade)

Vbrata - Bonino - Vey (get the kid up with veterans, he's produced in his rookie season and deserves the chance)

Jensen - Horvat - Higgins (get Jensen into some games, and with a veteran covering defensively on his wing he'll hopefully play loosely)

Dorsett - Matthias - Hansen

Shinkaruk

We do need a tough veteran for our bottom-6, but only if we get rid of Higgins or Burrows because this team is just getting filled with old pylons who are taking up time from Jensen, Shinkaruk and Virtanen who eventually need to break into this league.

We're seeing first hand how good the kids can be when they're played with veterans (look at Kassian after he gets a bit of time with the twins finally). We should try and work them in now, instead of sticking to guys like Dorsett, Higgins and Burrows.

Personally, I'd want to see this: trade Burrows to a contender who needs a good checking middle-6 forward (ie. Pittsburgh, TBL, anyone in the east really) for a B grade prospect or nice pick (around 20th-40th overall). That 4M+ cap hit hurts and we need to get rid of it while we can. I can deal with Higgins at 2ish million, but Burrows at that price is far too much, especially when we have so much locked up in the Sedins.

With Burrows gone, feel free to sign Dorsett for a year or two at under 2M. Here's our lineup for next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (he's hot right now, hopefully he learns consistency from the 2 most consistent players in the NHL over the last decade)

Vbrata - Bonino - Vey (get the kid up with veterans, he's produced in his rookie season and deserves the chance)

Jensen - Horvat - Higgins (get Jensen into some games, and with a veteran covering defensively on his wing he'll hopefully play loosely)

Dorsett - Matthias - Hansen

Shinkaruk

I think Kenins should be playing with Horvat as those guys have gelled a bit, same with Hansen.

Matthais would be a good guy to keep but it all depends on his demands, hopefully he isn't unrealistic in what he is wanting / expecting and I think keeping him is a good call. If he does walk / get moved I can see Guance potentially filling this role (unless he is more of a winger now?)

I think there might a deal or 2 either at the TDL or Draft as I think Jensen is at the point where he needs to be playing NHL minutes next year - even as a 4th liner (much like Horvat). Shinkaruk will probably get another season in the AHL which isn't a bad thing at all.

There are a couple guys that I can see being shipped out in order to make room for other players (Higgins, Richardson, Weber & possibly another Dman) but I think Dorsett is a guy the club has needed for awhile he should be re-signed

Archived