The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Nathan Horton to Leafs for David Clarkson

I thought Horton's career was over because of his back injury

It is.

But if he retires, much like Pronger, he does not get paid. Or Mark Savard, Ohlund... So he sits on IR.

Not that Clarkson is a great player for $5 mill, but at least they get a player for their real money. Which is in much shorter supply in Columbus than floats around Bay street. At times they have struggled to meet the cap min. Clarkson wont be a hindrance to them. and the money was already committed.

Toronto on the other would have no problem spending $30 mill over the cap if they were allowed. With this, and all their other buyouts they are still paying off I am sure they are well over $80 mill now?

Every game Horton spends on LTIR = more cap space right?

So theoretically, TOR has somewhat significant extra cap space every year by the trade deadline?

Perhaps I've missed something, but how do we know that Nonis was the guy who instigated this trade? I'm not saying he didn't, just that I haven't seen anything which says that he called up the CBJ and sugggested this trade rather than it being the other way.

regards,

G.

Nonis already came out and said that CBJ called him up with the proposal and that they wanted Clarkson

Nonis practically tripped and fell into a gold mine

So theoretically, TOR has somewhat significant extra cap space every year by the trade deadline?

It's more like Philly who have to be under the cap for opening day payroll.

Then as soon as they put Pronger on the LTIR all the money is there to spend...

That's my understanding anyway.

It's more like Philly who have to be under the cap for opening day payroll.

Then as soon as they put Pronger on the LTIR all the money is there to spend...

That's my understanding anyway.

I remember a while back when we had a major contract on LTIR that our cap ceiling increased by however long he was out? And that allowed us to go after someone at the deadline that we otherwise could not have

(perhaps my memory is screwing with me)

**Surfer**

I think this "trade" benefits both teams. Columbus because since they couldn't afford to insure Horton's salary, they had to pay the full shot for a player on IR. They may still be over paying but at least they have somebody who can play now.

And Toronto, because they get Clarkson's salary off their cap. All it costs them is money.

Be interesting to clearly see the league's numbers. With the new 50/50 CBA, & how things are divvied up.

For example, do all buyouts slice a chunk from the overall NHLPA cut? Does it end up increasing the retained 'escrow' percentage?

If there are 20 or 30 LOUSY contracts, league-wide(like LeCav, Clarkson, et al..), sooner or later, it must affect GM's decisions, & the subsequent 'trickle-down' to players. So the vets will scramble to fight for another LT contract, before the squeeze is on. If the economy(general) tanks, & cap-limit contracts, there will be quite the effect.

Seems GM's choose to argue/haggle more with the younger guys(bridge deals), before hard-lining their vets.

Small markets such as CBJ, will choose pragmatic options like today's deal. Conglomerates like TO ownership will take on other's mistakes, or even, bad luck(LT injuries). Bos, Chi, Mtl, Rags are other examples of teams with such resources.

I remember a while back when we had a major contract on LTIR that our cap ceiling increased by however long he was out? And that allowed us to go after someone at the deadline that we otherwise could not have

(perhaps my memory is screwing with me)

Are you thinking of the Salo injury? The major one to his ankle/achillies that is he sustained in the offseason I mean. IIRC all that did was prevent us from running into an issue with our other contracts (like we would have had to move one of Bieksa or Ehrhoff otherwise) rather than allowing us to add someone extra at the deadline.

In any event, LTI doesn't increase the cap ceiling so it's not that you accrue more cap space by the deadline like you do if you don't spend to the cap, you're just over the cap. If that LTI is there all year (or at least from when you trade for a player to the end of the year) then it allows you to exceed the cap, technically giving extra space you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Just to add to the above, they don't get more and more depending how long he's on LTI, they just get a set amount while he's on LTI. For example, if they acquire him when they're $600K under the cap (after swapping out Clarkson's cap hit for Horton's) then they're allowed to exceed the cap by $4.7M (Horton's cap hit of $5.3M less the available cap space of $600K). That amount stays the same rather than increasing like any space under the cap would the closer you get to the end of the season.

Really great move by Toronto to fix that massive mistake.

exactly

i saw no way of moving that contract

too bad LA did not think of doing that to unload the richards contract

toronto freed up more salary cap space with this deal than i imagined they could

but nonis needs to pay for this mistake with his job

he really has to go

what an idiot signing by him

Smart hockey trade.

They have a new $5mill bonus to spend blow against the cap.

ftfy.

a hockey trade is generally considered to consist of an exchange of two relatively comparably valued players - this was not a 'hockey trade' - this was a cap dump for a salary dump.

Say what you want.but the optics of this are just bad for Nonis.

It just fixes his mistake before he is canned.

The BJ's can't afford to be paying someone who isn't playing but the Leafs can. The MLSE Board should be looking for blood for this signing.

The $$$ won over the wisdom.

I believe this is indeed a fix your own mistakes before you get canned scenario for Nonis, but the organization drastically increased its chance to draft a top two generational franchise player in the 2015 draft.

Vancouver helped Toronto big tonight by the way.

The tank for McDavid race is full on in Toronto and Nonis, who cannot turn a good deal in either trade or signing, is the perfect GM for the job.

Shanahan is a Cup winner and he knows what it takes both politically and organizationally.

Perhaps a Kessel or a Phaneuf could be had for a modest price of UFAs and whatevers Rihanna ro Nonis.

For Shanahan, McDavid might be worth more than any transactional faux pas Nonis could ever commit to the team. It is in MLSE's best interest to liquidate assets for low on-ice reruns and futures now, for the benefit of a future that puts them on top of the League for the next quarter century.

The Canucks are playing a totally different game than the Tank for McDavid game. They're getting ready for the playoffs. They're beating the best teams in the league. That's more important than losing against bottom feeders.

With Miller's injury, the Canucks can now afford Kessel or Phaneuf. If the price is right, perhaps a deal could be done. Either player makes the team better.

I would tend to believe there could be a Benning / Kessel tie from their Boston days. Anyone knows why Kessel was traded to the Leafs?

Yeah I don't think this can be classified a 'hockey trade' but I see why people are labeling it so, it's one of those trades that appears to address both teams' needs.

It's just plain odd is what it is. I cannot think of a stranger trade in recent memory.

Kris Draper for a dollar was pretty weird.

Maybe not a "hockey" trade, but I think it was a good deal for both parties. (especially if Clarkson ever gets close to being the player he was in New Jersey)

But I have to wonder at all the praise for Nonis. What he did was basically the equivalent of a goalie letting in four softies and then making a great save in the last minute to keep the score at 4-0....

Maybe not a "hockey" trade, but I think it was a good deal for both parties. (especially if Clarkson ever gets close to being the player he was in New Jersey)

But I have to wonder at all the praise for Nonis. What he did was basically the equivalent of a goalie letting in four softies and then making a great save in the last minute to keep the score at 4-0....

Not a bad analogy re: Nonis.

Big difference is that in this case, the Leafs win, not Lose. They dump a big long-term cap hit and all it will cost them is money that doesn't count against the cap going forward.

Yes it's a classic case of a "have" team making a deal with a "have-not" team, but I have give props to Nonis for being able to rid himself of a contract nobody believed could be traded.

Archived