The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC may withhold licence for outstanding court fines, student loans in default

drummer4now

Typical scare mongering, and government agency talking points trying to justify their useless existence...

I have had the experience of both ICBC and private insurance and I can tell you private insurance beats the hell out of ICBC...

First off, if someone has a "shoddy" driving record (Is a horrible driver getting into accidents) why should they be subsidized by good responsible drivers? If you cant drive for s**t, then pay the higher premiums or take transit..... someone else shouldn't pay for your incompetence...

Secondly when you actually have choice and competition, private insurers actually compete for your business... one phonecall can reduce your rates, One threat of switching companies makes them bend over to keep you as a paying customer.. What motivation does a monopoly like ICBC have to do that?? no wonder they are consistently ranked as one of the worse automobile insurers by their own customers...

ICBC is absolute garbage... anyone who has dealt with ICBC and private insurance first hand can tell you that.

To be fair, people with poor driving records do pay higher premiums with ICBC. In fact that's the one nice thing about it. Your premiums are based purely on your driving recordrecord (along with other factors that directly influence your likelihood of getting into an accident) instead of statistical averages based on superficial demographics. They don't make you pay extra for being young or male, no matter how good of a driver you are.

Now of course, you could still have a private system and prevent such discrimination through regulation.

Just another way students are screwed over. Not only are tuition and books sky high, but they're gonna make it even harder for many students to get a job and actually pay back their debt, especially ones who work in remote areas.

What's next, BC Ferries won't let you on board if you have unreturned library books?

I`m a librarian and I support this message!

It isn't scaremongering it's fact. That's WHY ICBC was created. Plain and simple.

And the basis of insurance is for the masses to pay for the few. You get surcharges if you're a bad driver with ICBC but at the end of the day ICBC is mandated to provide insurance to everyone.

And as ICBC is mandatory coverage wouldn't it make them the best and worse provider by their own customers? :P

Yes, with private insurers at certain times in your lifetime you will likely pay less but you will also pay much higher at other times. For instance when I was young I remember paying like $150 a month on a much nicer vehicle than my Albertan friends who paid over double for theirs. ICBC is a pretty damn fair system, making the industry privatized won't magically make auto insurance amazingly cheap.

why does the ICBC exist?

whats wrong with private insurance? Exhibit A of government getting too big.

ICBC is one of the few things from BC that I don't miss...

Live in Toronto for 5 years, you'll have your answer.

Personally Quebec has the best system in my opinion. You can't sue for injuries. SAAQ covers you as a driver for medical benefits anywhere in Quebec or as a driver all over the world. You still have private insurance to cover any physical or property damage.

Now it's offset by very large registration/plate/ and drivers licence fees.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/accident_victim/insurance_policy/compensation_table.php

Good. Pay your debts that you agreed to pay back and you wont have any issues. They're not going to go after people who have missed a payment. They're going after the dead beats that have flat out decided not to pay it back.

I really don't get the people that seem to think it's OK not to pay back debts that they agree to.

Archived