The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cancelling my cable, but how to watch hockey?

sQuish

First: Download Google Chrome if you havent already and open a normal window

Second: Go to nhl.com and click the watch now button for any game that you want to watch

Third: Copy the link at the top of your screen for that game that you want to watch, it should look something like: http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/gamecenterlive?id=2014020045&navid=sb:watchnow

Fourth: Open up a incognito window (shift+cmd+n for mac, shift+ctrl+n for PC) and paste the link of the game you want to watch in your address bar and open it.

Five: You should no longer getting the window saying buy NHL Gamecenter and you should be able to join the game!

Enjoy :)

Thanks for the info,but it only works for 5 minutes,then it tells me to update adobe flashplayer.

I have the latest version,but I still get the same message.

I guess it was to good to be true. :(

Decided I need to cancel my cable TV. With all the streaming services available these days there's really no point in shelling out the ridiculous amount of $ Shaw wants. Wish they would get out of the stone ages with the 'package' pricing garbage. But I digress...

One thing I haven't yet figured out is how I'll keep watching Canucks games.

My first choice would be to buy a NHL GameCentre live subscription. Right now it's $129 for a 'half season' pass which is a little steep, albeit cheaper than paying for cable. My only issue is that I don't really care about out of market games. I don't have time to watch endless hours of hockey each day. Ideally, I would rather buy a Canucks-only subscription where I only have access to Canucks games. Why this isn't offered as an option is beyond me. Seems like a no brainer as I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same boat... only want to subscribe to their team, but not willing to pay for the whole subscription.

For those that don't have cable, what do you do to watch Canucks hockey? what's your experience with GameCentre Live? Worth it?

NHL gamecenter live. IF you want to get it cheap, just change your IP to a Russian IP and get a great deal at $75 per year. NHL gamecenter live is the best thing that I got for under $100. There are also some illegal ways to do it if you want it for free without any worry of blackouts. Since I use this product daily, I just paid for it even though its not the Canadian pricing. If you do go the NHL gamecenter live route, be sure to change your IP address with some software or proxy so you can view the Canucks games without worrying about blackouts.

u could just use it for free if you use my method above

Yes, there is that method but for that method which I won't mention and also the grey area method, you do need a speedy internet access. The beauty of GCL is its ability to adapt to any internet speed and could be used even with speeds of 2-3 mbps down internet connections. I think the GCL service takes into account the variety of internet speeds availably worldwide and adjust its streams accordingly especially on mobile devices where it can go as low as 240kbps streaming. Although if you plan to stream in a location with great internet speed, then other methods suffice. I paid for GCL due to its flexibility, ability to be used on any devices without any buffering issues and its multiple camera displays and live stats. I also travel a lot, so I do sometimes encounter problems in areas with low internet speeds but GCL has worked everywhere for me whereas those other services or methods might not have.

I just looked over my Shaw bill because of this thread... I am calling to cancel cable and try to get a 6 month promo on internet. The prices are almost double what I was paying before!

Does that actually work? I am coming up on the end of my promo pricing with shaw. Thought about going with telus too enjoy some more low prices.

gamecentre is great. I got it before the season started for $99

So there is no regional blackouts anymore I take it then? I had it for a couple years back a few years back and never could watch live Canucks.

So there is no regional blackouts anymore I take it then? I had it for a couple years back a few years back and never could watch live Canucks.

I pay for unblock us so it doesn't blackout the games. Also allows me to watch US netflix and access american network sites (NBC, ABC etc) in the few instances that I want to watch a network show.

Does that actually work? I am coming up on the end of my promo pricing with shaw. Thought about going with telus too enjoy some more low prices.

The past few times I've tried to cancel Shaw they always made some offer to try and keep me. Worth a shot.

Canceled my cable last year. Don't miss it at all.

HD antennas work surprisingly well. Quality of the channels you get is even better than through cable. Once the playoffs start, you can see all the games with that.

Then next season you can get the Gamecenter Live for the whole year for $199 (that is usually the early-bird rate). I don't think they black out broadcasts anymore.

Canceled my cable last year. Don't miss it at all.

HD antennas work surprisingly well. Quality of the channels you get is even better than through cable. Once the playoffs start, you can see all the games with that.

Then next season you can get the Gamecenter Live for the whole year for $199 (that is usually the early-bird rate). I don't think they black out broadcasts anymore.

Just canceled my cable (although so far we still get lots of channels including Sportsnet) where is a good place to pick up an HD antenna?

Just canceled my cable (although so far we still get lots of channels including Sportsnet) where is a good place to pick up an HD antenna?

This is the one I bought, and it's currently on sale for $60 at thesource.ca:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=1505315

Once you have your antenna, you can use http://tvfool.com/ to figure out exactly where to point it. It's not like an analog antenna, where the picture gets gradually better as you move it around. All you see is snow - until it picks up the signal clearly, and instantly gives you an HD picture.

(Note: Make sure your TV has a digital tuner, or none of this will work. If it was manufactured in 2007 or later, it should.)

Archived