The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cancelling my cable, but how to watch hockey?

sQuish

Just did the exact same thing and I've gone a week without hockey now :( Any stream I can find is just horrible quality and super laggy. Does anyone know where the best free streams other than GCL are? (PM me these shady services you guys keep talking about) if not, I might give those antennas a shot. I live down in Richmond though, does that affect how effective the antenna would be for me?

This is the one I bought, and it's currently on sale for $60 at thesource.ca:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=1505315

Once you have your antenna, you can use http://tvfool.com/ to figure out exactly where to point it. It's not like an analog antenna, where the picture gets gradually better as you move it around. All you see is snow - until it picks up the signal clearly, and instantly gives you an HD picture.

(Note: Make sure your TV has a digital tuner, or none of this will work. If it was manufactured in 2007 or later, it should.)

Thanks I'm in Nanaimo and according to TVfool it looks like a will need an outdoor antenna to get more than one channel. All I really want is CBC to watch the playoffs.

I wish we could get rid of our cable but a few people would kill me. We pay a buttload every month for the big megapack whatever its called that has 500 channels of HD crap on that nobody watches. Reality shows about jobs that are boring as hell to work at so why anyone would want to watch them work them is beyond me. What was my point? Dont think I had one, anyways I like Canucks games, NFL games, Budesliga and a few shows, we get em all. Whatever.

Thanks I'm in Nanaimo and according to TVfool it looks like a will need an outdoor antenna to get more than one channel. All I really want is CBC to watch the playoffs.

CBC has(had?) HD stream on their website for Saturday games and playoff/olympic games. Haven't checked this year but they certainly used to and I don't see why they wouldn't anymore

Not sure if this was answered in this thread, but if I use unblockus or whatever will I be able to get playoffs if I have NHL game center on roku or xbox?

Might get an antenna too, but would like to know if playoffs are now available. Basically only thing right now that is holding me back from cancelling my cable.

CBC has(had?) HD stream on their website for Saturday games and playoff/olympic games. Haven't checked this year but they certainly used to and I don't see why they wouldn't anymore

They definitely did for past playoffs. Went online many times when the east feed went long or into overtime and preempted the Canucks. Not sure if CBC is still going to have the playoff games this year with the new tv deal though.

Archived