The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First human head transplant could happen in two years.

Armada

I work in spinal cord injury research, and it is extremely difficult to reconnect two halves of the spinal cord. It is a micro-environment that is normally inhibitory to tissue regeneration, and is very toxic to transplanted stem cells, and typically causes them to differentiate into astrocytes, rather than neurons or oligodendrocytes.

Mhm. My aunt's friend's son was in a rugby accident and was preparing to never walk again. Now he's all better.

I'm happy for him, but:

1) We don't know anything about the nature of his injury. How bad was the break? Was his spine totally severed etc?

2) I didn't say they aren't making advancements. I said they can't reliably cure people. The fact of the matter is that there are many people out there with spinal injuries we just cannot help.

I'm happy for him, but:

1) We don't know anything about the nature of his injury. How bad was the break? Was his spine totally severed etc?

2) I didn't say they aren't making advancements. I said they can't reliably cure people. The fact of the matter is that there are many people out there with spinal injuries we just cannot help.

Does it really matter how bad it was, as long as he's healed now?

Also, there have been many more people with serious injuries like his (cancer, tumors, para- and quadriplegics, broken bones, etc.) that are getting better quicker than normal

Also, here's what happened: "The breaks were in the C4 and C5 vertebrae and the C4 was also pushed forward, collapsing on the spinal cord and the C5 vertebrae. Judah was instantly paralyzed and had no movement or feeling from the neck down." That's off his FB page

Archived