The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

West Coast Express Era Almost All Gone

thejazz97

While I was around for the 94 run, I was still too young to really connect - I was mostly going along with my family.

The WCE was the team that caused me to decide, on my own, to be a fan of the team. I'll always have a soft spot for them because of that!

(Also I lament the 2004/05 lockout and this group getting another kick at the can in the playoffs.)

You missed the cooker.

NASLUND DASHING IN... 15 seconds to go, Markus Naslund. To the net. Shoots

SCOOOOOOREESSSSS MATT COOKE CASHING IN 5.6 SECOND TO GO! And they're still alive!

I'd love if Matt came and finished his career here.

Also Jarkko Ruutu (sp)

It was "Naslund dashing in, 10 seconds left, Markus Naslund, to the net. Stopped! Scores! Scores! Matt Cooke cashing in. 5.7 seconds left. And they're still alive!"

That team was fun to watch after the Iron Mike and Captain Moose mass depression era.

The team never reached its potential and had a couple of miscues still felt today.

In my opinion the 2011 Canucks were stronger than the WCE in the mental toughness department.

Man oh man, does anyone else think that Anson Carter was kicking himself in the tush for listening to his agent and not staying here? He left for a million a season more, and one year later he is playing in the Swiss League. What he should have taken as more of a sign? In 81 games with Vancouver he had 33 goals, and 22 assists. Coinky Dink? I think not...

P.S. - Loved Jovocop. Still my top 5 all-time Canucks.

He actually left for $500,000 more over 2 years, so only $250,000 more per season than he was offered by the Canucks.

Man oh man, does anyone else think that Anson Carter was kicking himself in the tush for listening to his agent and not staying here? He left for a million a season more, and one year later he is playing in the Swiss League. What he should have taken as more of a sign? In 81 games with Vancouver he had 33 goals, and 22 assists. Coinky Dink? I think not...

P.S. - Loved Jovocop. Still my top 5 all-time Canucks.

And that season was only the start of the Sedins domination. Imagine if he was playing with them when they were hitting PPG averages haha.

What about the supporting cast, like king, chubarov, druken, Hlavich, Warriner, etc... Where are all the draft picks from those days? Did any actually make the nhl besides Kesler?

Lol bulis and hlavic those were interesting players to say the least.

Geoff Sanderson was a decent pickup. I remember he went roof job on kipper in the playoffs.

Hansen 9th, bieksa 5th, Edler 3rd... Not much else. No idea why Vancouver hasn't fired every single scout they had lol

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008756.html

Ruutu's Retired

Bertuzzi last played for Binghamton this year, but left the team in January to deal with his knee

http://www.tsn.ca/bertuzzi-leaves-ahl-s-senators-to-get-knee-evaluated-1.187398

Yeah. But Ruutu didn't retire from the NHL, he played a year or two in Finland before retiring.

And Bertuzzi was signed to a PTO and because of his knee, never got signed to a full.

Archived