The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question: Prohibited Drugs in the NHL (list)

NikiShiz

Maybe add "question" to the title or a question mark.

As for your question, I don't think a list is out there. There are general outlines of types of drugs or possible guidelines that the NHL follows (WADA), but I don't see any listing each drug.

CDC is literally the worst place to ask questions.

Everyone is so bitchy whenever someone poses one.

A select few can be.

I found it with a single google search. Because it was so easy to find I'm not going to share it with you.

Actually, a simple search yielded the policy behind them yet not an actual list itself, so before you get all high and mighty about your masterful internet prowess either provide a link or shut it.

Weed, cocaine, heroine, meth (just guessing)

Sure, sure. Those are the obvious starters right? I would assume the full list has many more substances that could be construed as performance enhancing. Things like ephedrine which can be found in something as innocent as cold medicine.

The NHL uses the World Anti Doping Agency List as a starting point, but it isn't clear how closely they follow the list or amend it.

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/WADA-prohibited-list-2014-EN.pdf

What happens with the players in Colorado? Can they smoke weed?

Just because a substance is legal in the state doesn't make it accepted by the league. For instance, steroids are legal, yet they are banned as a performance enhancing substance.

I know just as well as anyone that weed isn't necessarily going to enhance anything beyond the taste of a medium rare steak after a game, regardless, the league likely views it as a banned substance as per of the WADA policy.

Contrary to what others may say, its not a list that can be easily found with a quick Google search. Your best bet would be to go to the World Anti Doping Agency website (WADA) and they have a full list of banned substances. The NHL's list is supposedly almost identical.

What happens with the players in Colorado? Can they smoke weed?

I haven't heard of the NHL recently punishing any players on any team for using recreational drugs, so I think they either don't test for it or don't take a punitive approach. I know they have a substance abuse program which you can enter voluntarily, but it must not be like the NFL where they suspend players for smoking weed and such. I mean you can't tell me that out of all the young rich guys in the league that NONE of them at the very least don't smoke weed, so if the NHL did ban and punish for recreational drugs someone would have been caught by now.

Archived