The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else curious?

lumberman

Just for discussion, talking out loud, no need to flame me.

When did you ever see so many trades prior to the deadline? A few big names, a few role players.

One constant, a lack of Canuck rumors, ok, 1 or 2 max., other than that, nada!

So different from years gone bye.

Is JB is a sly fox,waiting to the 11th hour, or laying low because he won't move picks and prospects. ( a given )

He said he's happy with the team, right, and pigs fly too.

Let's see what Monday PM brings and go from there.

When did you ever see so many trades prior to the deadline? A few big names, a few role players.

Is JB is a sly fox,waiting to the 11th hour, or laying low because he won't move picks and prospects. ( a given )

JB said when the injured players get back, it's like we are making trades. I assume that means he wants to stand pat at the deadline. If he would trade Higgins at the deadline for a pick in this years draft I don't mind but otherwise I agree with standing pat. We are neither clear sellers nor buyers.

I agree with the OP that I cannot recall seeing this many first round picks traded for rentals. Given the quality of this year's draft I am surprised and disappointed that the Canucks did not pick up one of those picks.

I agree that is weird for Benning to say he is "happy with the team". He might mean that the team is performing at the high end of expectations at the beginning of the season and is in playoff contention.

But we cannot be happy in an overall sense. We want to be Cup contenders and the Canucks just lost pretty badly to a dreadful Buffalo team. Hard to be happy with that.

What the Canucks have shown is more depth than previous teams. Benning has acquired some guys who can play decently at the NHL level. Dorsett, Vey, Clendenning, Vrbata, Miller and Biega (re-signed as a free agent in July 2014) were all Benning acquisitions. And in the Kesler deal he got two decent NHL players (Bonino and Sbisa). And Gillis acquisitions Horvat and Kennins showed they can play. Add that to the (aging) core and this year's team is respectable.

But to be Cup contenders this team needs more than just legitimate NHL players. It needs some really high-end talent. And that means the draft. Benning wisely is not giving up draft picks but I am sorry he had not yet acquired any.

I agree with the OP that I cannot recall seeing this many first round picks traded for rentals. Given the quality of this year's draft I am surprised and disappointed that the Canucks did not pick up one of those picks.

I agree that is weird for Benning to say he is "happy with the team". He might mean that the team is performing at the high end of expectations at the beginning of the season and is in playoff contention.

But we cannot be happy in an overall sense. We want to be Cup contenders and the Canucks just lost pretty badly to a dreadful Buffalo team. Hard to be happy with that.

What the Canucks have shown is more depth than previous teams. Benning has acquired some guys who can play decently at the NHL level. Dorsett, Vey, Clendenning, Vrbata, Miller and Biega (re-signed as a free agent in July 2014) were all Benning acquisitions. And in the Kesler deal he got two decent NHL players (Bonino and Sbisa). And Gillis acquisitions Horvat and Kennins showed they can play. Add that to the (aging) core and this year's team is respectable.

But to be Cup contenders this team needs more than just legitimate NHL players. It needs some really high-end talent. And that means the draft. Benning wisely is not giving up draft picks but I am sorry he had not yet acquired any.

benning has got to be happy .. you can call this year whatever you like but it is a retool . The fact that we are in a playoff position is astonishing to a lot of people , myself included .

JB is well aware getting one or two players won't make this team suddenly a contender. I think the plan is to continue with the same players, making a trade that makes sense, and hold on to his draft picks. Honestly, The owners are likely happy with one or two rounds of play off and the extra $$. Not much is expected.

Trade deadline days have been kind of dull lately.

The guys on TSN and Sportsnet look like fools talking all morning about the same deals over and over and over again.

Trade deadline days have been kind of dull lately.

The guys on TSN and Sportsnet look like fools talking all morning about the same deals over and over and over again.

I'd say the bigger fool is watching them talk about the same thing over and over again.

True, but the volume seems particularly high this year. There might not be much left come Monday.

I think there is almost a perfect storm of elite teams missing pieces, cap teams needing room, poor teams loading up and a deep draft. I think tomorrow will be chaotic and Monday quiet.

I think that we have to take Benning at his word when he says that he is happy with the team.

What does this mean? Last summer, when he started the retool, we could guess that he was hoping to finish in the 7-8 spot and slide into the playoffs as step 1 in his plan. Well, I am feeling assured that they will be in the playoffs. So what is Benning compelled to do right now? Absolutely nothing.

Now is not the time for team builders to make trades. Now is the time for suckers and desperate measures. Benning can wait until the offseason to make more moves. I am not sure anything astounding will happen in the offseason but we have all identified that there is a need for another top 6 forward and a top 4 defense. We shall see....

Anybody we have that is worth a first rounder has an ntc. That's the first obstacle. The second is trading any of the guys worth a first hurts our chance of making the playoffs or getting past the first round.

The goal this year was just to make the playoffs not be a contender. Thus it's no surprise he happy with the team. Particularly staying in the playoff hunt with the number of key injuries.

Better than announcing you wanted to move a guy or looking for a certain position player a month before the deadline like MG always seemed to do.

I agree, we are definitely seeing trades being made earlier and earlier each year. I remember when you could wait until the day before or the day of and expect a plethora of activity. It was usually a pretty exciting day.

I really don't understand doing trades earlier. You would think the selling team could get a higher return if they shopped around a bit more and left it closer to the deadline, increasing the pressure on the buying teams. But then again I'm no GM.

Guest Dasein

When has JB ever said something he didn't mean in an interview?

Seems like a pretty honest dude

He said that won't trade any of our draft picks for rental, and that he won't trade any of our rentals for draft picks - If Benning does anything, it will likely be a hockey trade where it's a player-for-player

But I don't think he's lying when he said that he's pretty happy with the team right now and is willing to stand pat

Archived