The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Car Insurance Question

hockeyfan90

So I am currently paying $301 a month for insurance on my 2010 Honda Civic LX-S here in Toronto. I just moved to Ontario from Quebec in July 2014 and had changed my license in October 2014. I had my full Quebec license since 2012 but I never owned my own car and was 3rd driver on a family car back in Quebec. I have had perfectly clean record with no accidents, speeding tickets. Only about 2-3 parking tickets but that doesn't go on record. I just turned 25 this January 2015.

Why am I paying sooo much for insurance? It is with Desjardins. My driving history in Quebec doesn't seem to have even mattered. Only counts that I have had my license since October 2014. This isn't even full coverage, only one way insurance. The cost is ridiculous since I've had been driving for more than 3 years with a clean record. I've checked everywhere for insurance quotes and this was the lowest I got. Others even went up to $600/month. Is there something that I am missing or is this normal? Is there any way to get my insurance rate down?

Also I'm not super knowledgeable on Auto Insurance out that way but I believe a lot of your coverage in Quebec is provided by the government with only property damage being provided by the private industry whereas Ontario is fully private thus rates are different.

I am going to assume you are male, 25 and under, and not married? In the private vehicle insurance world, that is the worst possible combination. You may want to look into having your insurer recognize the quebec history. In BC the benefit to ICBC insurance is that they do not discriminate based on the above factors, only driving experience.

I have no idea about this my total with SGI+autopak is less than $1500/year. This is one downfall about leaving Sask.

I do think that if there is a way to get your Quebec driving history to count in ont. then it should lower your preimiums(more experience and no accidents), also see if they have adjusted your rates now that you are 25. Also I think it may make a difference what you say you use your car for...idk if that's an option, but maybe say you only use it to buy groceries on the weekend.

Stating a different use for your vehicle than what its being used for is called fraud and the insurance company then has a right to deny claims/proceed with legal action against you. I really wouldn't recommend lying in a legal contract.

Those are pretty typical rates for young males in places without flat insurance rate. Although typically males 25 and older are grouped differently.

I'd contact your insurance company to make sure they have you grouped in the 25+ group now. I'd also contact competing brokers about a cheaper rate.

I got the young male shaft too when I lived in Alberta for a year. My insurance premiums tripled from what I was paying ICBC in Victoria to paying a private insurer in Edmonton. And that was the best deal I could find with minimal coverage. I had a clean record but was a 20 year old male. The worst demographic for insurers.

People in BC love to complain about ICBC but its a hell of a lot better than a lot of other places. Although I do hear that if your in Alberta and tie your car insurance in with all your insurance for your home/business/life etc it can be a very reasonable price.

Archived