The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's not looking to trade

Hodgson!!

Higgins is going to have pretty similar value to Vermette who just got a late first and a prospect. It's not really crazy to think that Higgins would at least get us a late first. Something in the 22-30 range is pretty reasonable. I would rather keep him though as he is a steal for what he brings at his salary.

I'd trade Higgins since I think Matthias can replace him and we could possibly have Virtanen in the lineup next year or maybe McCann. A burrows-Bonino-Matthias line would be pretty decent or a Vrbata-Bonino-Matthias line. Higgins is redundant in the lineup with Burrows, Kassian and Matthias able to fill his role.

Higgins is going to have pretty similar value to Vermette who just got a late first and a prospect. It's not really crazy to think that Higgins would at least get us a late first. Something in the 22-30 range is pretty reasonable. I would rather keep him though as he is a steal for what he brings at his salary.

I highly doubt he'd net us a first. He's not quite in vermette territory. I think if a team is willing to cough up a first round pick in this draft, they can do better than a Higgins. They'd target better players until they get someone to bite.

If someone offered one I'm sure benning would jump on it with all our left wingers playing outstanding.

The team is getting younger but there needs to be a mix of vets. I don't want this team to be a virgin like the Oilers with no one to guide them. The team is in transition but its not going to overhaul and do an Edmonton Oiler's rebuild. Unload a player like Higgins but I would not get rid of Richardson with our awful faceoff percentage.

The Sedins are going nowhere. That's the vet presence we need. Anyone else from 2011 (except possible Edler) should be shopped. Torts was wrong about so much but he was right that the 2011 team and core is done.

It's a rabid Old Yeller and you know how that ends.

We don't need to make a trade right now, especially considering we're not pushing for a Cup run right now OR rebuilding (we're an in-the-middle team, expecting to do both) so there aren't many trades that would help us now and in the future made at the trade deadline. Also, the cost of players right now is rediculous.

Well if "the cost of players right now is rediculous" perhaps it might be due diligence to explore the opportunity of giving up something in the current market with regards to the upcoming draft and the assumption the Canucks won`t make a big splash in the playoffs. JB is not going to tip his hand to a reporter days before the deadline regardless.

Bieksa is an interesting player to bring up when it comes to the trade deadline. Kevin hasn't been our best d this year but for what he has brought to this organization and the way he speaks about it (going down with the ship, rock bottom etc.) I think he would rather play out his career in Vancouver. I think the organization owes him that with his loyalty to the club.

There is no questioning that Kevin has trade value and would be a very intriguing piece for any team heading into the playoffs. A first rounder + a decent prospect would likely be the return.

The Canucks owe Bieksa nothing. Hockey is about winning a Stanley Cup not about building an nhl retirement community. This kind of thinking bugs me. People realize he hasn't volunteered his free time to be a Canuck, right? He has been paid multi millions of dollars to buy his loyalty while he is here same as any other player.

If that return was offered for Bieksa Benning should be packing Bieksa's bags and driving him to the airport.

Kevin Bieksa's "wants" should not come ahead of what is right for the team, the same as any player. Bieksa has become redundant on the ice and we have played just as well if not better without him in the lineup. This is where they screwed up on his contract - giving him a ntc to begin with.

i think we should try and retain matthias. but if he is wanting obsurd money i think its poor asset management to allow the player to walk as a ufa. We arent a cup contender folks, only cup contenders should take the risk of keeping pending ufas that walk in the summer.

Not a team like us, we should maybe try to move matthias/higgins to anaheim for etem? Speeds up the progress of getting players who are nhl ready. They need some help upfront if they want a chance to make a long playoff run

Dorsett should be resignable, Richardson i think will want a hefty raise, if he is ok being 4th C then we should try to keep him, But maybe Gaunce can step into that role next year

henrik

horvat

bonino

richie/gaunce/ufa...Manny? great faceoff guy all the old faces who said he was done are gone now

Benning shouldnt and has said he wont go after a pending ufa, we need help on the 2nd line, scoring depth has been and still is our achilles heal especially come playoff time.

I hope he tries to improve our team, we may make the playoffs but is that really acceptable, the sedins are getting older as is miller vrbata, i think we should try to improve our chances of maybe stealing a round or 2. I believe its possible as Anaheim is beatable in round 2 and we could beat calgary would be a tough task against LA due to their recent history.

Standing pat would be a failure to me if we lose 1 or more pending ufa's. I also think we need some size and grit in our forward group, as we all know in the playoffs the games tempo goes up a few notches, and Dorsett isnt a big guy, Kenins is young and has done great but wheres the physical size and hitting? Clifford/Nolan are examples, hard nosed guys that bash during the post season

The Canucks owe Bieksa nothing. Hockey is about winning a Stanley Cup not about building an nhl retirement community. This kind of thinking bugs me. People realize he hasn't volunteered his free time to be a Canuck, right? He has been paid multi millions of dollars to buy his loyalty while he is here same as any other player.

If that return was offered for Bieksa Benning should be packing Bieksa's bags and driving him to the airport.

Kevin Bieksa's "wants" should not come ahead of what is right for the team, the same as any player. Bieksa has become redundant on the ice and we have played just as well if not better without him in the lineup. This is where they screwed up on his contract - giving him a ntc to begin with.

I agreem but with his comments last year, sure doesnt sound like he would waive his ntc. Anaheim would love him. Etem and a 1st?

Detroit would aswell but not sure what they would offer.

Be great to move out bieksa, he can always return for a paycut after his deal is over. Like his last contract he had a career year and got paid, and hasnt really lived up to his current contract since signing it.

With TL at the helm im not sure if he would ask Bieksa to move, I hope personal relationships would never get in the way of making an improvement to our team.

Benning in the summer committed to trying to making us competitive for another go at the cup with his miller and vrbata signings, to stand pat now and not try to improve would be disappointing. I would have rather seen us not sign miller then, go with the swedish towers and if worse came to worse we get an top 10 or top 5 pick this year in a great draft.

Benning isnt going to come out and say right before the deadline he is after improving, we all know and he has said he wants a top 6 forward, that hasnt gone away we still lack quality scoring and an offensive D. Lets see if hes just playing poker and holding his cards tight or if hes gonna run with what we have, hope we make the playoffs, be competitive in round 1 and call it a success...

Anaheim went out and got bergenheim for heatley. They got better. I don't see how you can call Chicago better by adding Vermette and Timonen (sp) when they've lost the league's leading scorer til the WCF.

As for the UFA's...benning plans to keep them all? Is that even possible with where the cap is projected to be next year and the number of guys we have to lock up? I'm not calling for a liquidation or anything here but it would be nice to see one piece moved, likely Richardson, for a pick or two. The man is in for a raise this summer, as is Matthias, and without moving salary I don't think we can keep them all. However with that being said JB probably knows more about cap management than I do lol

Well said...Your last line made me respect you :) I wish guys like desi boy, who don't have a clue, would stop complaining and thinking they know better than the pros. Maybe there's a reason non of us are working for an NHL front office? Suggesting things is one thing but selling it as the gospel is what gets old.

I highly doubt he'd net us a first. He's not quite in vermette territory. I think if a team is willing to cough up a first round pick in this draft, they can do better than a Higgins. They'd target better players until they get someone to bite.

If someone offered one I'm sure benning would jump on it with all our left wingers playing outstanding.

Well he has 6 less points than Vermette this season, and he would be a little less valuable as he is a winger, but for a team trying to really strengthen up there depth he is a great option to step into a second line spot to fill an injury, or slot in to a really strong third line. He's great for PK and puck possession. Maybe he doesn't get a First and a D prospect, but just a first with this year's prices I think he would. Plus he isn't a rental, he's got a low cap hit next season too.

I like that JB doesn't think he has to do anything here...I agree. If he stands pat, that's fine by me. But better would be to unload a one of Burrows/Higgins/Hansen. With the plethora of bottom 6 forwards trying to prove themselves in the current lineup, none of those guys represents a significant loss, and frees up some much-needed cap space. I admit I would love to move even a bigger contract like Bieksa or Miller, but I can't see either of those two leaving for different reasons.

From what I read, I think JB has a very good handle on where the team really stands and where it's postioned to go.

Well he has 6 less points than Vermette this season, and he would be a little less valuable as he is a winger, but for a team trying to really strengthen up there depth he is a great option to step into a second line spot to fill an injury, or slot in to a really strong third line. He's great for PK and puck possession. Maybe he doesn't get a First and a D prospect, but just a first with this year's prices I think he would. Plus he isn't a rental, he's got a low cap hit next season too.

Vermette has 35 doesn't he? On a terrible team.

I just think you could get more if you're going to trade your first rounder. If I'm only going after a Chris Higgins I'm offering a second as the prime pick. Stellar pk and forchecking isn't worth my top pick. Of he can't dominate the face off circle he better be on a scoring streak or give me some other intangibles.

I think a team would be pulling more for our 2015 scoring machine Matthias. Even as a ufa, it's cup or bust trading that pick. Go for the guy who's gonna give you that extra jam in the playoffs.

I like that JB doesn't think he has to do anything here...I agree. If he stands pat, that's fine by me. But better would be to unload a one of Burrows/Higgins/Hansen. With the plethora of bottom 6 forwards trying to prove themselves in the current lineup, none of those guys represents a significant loss, and frees up some much-needed cap space. I admit I would love to move even a bigger contract like Bieksa or Miller, but I can't see either of those two leaving for different reasons.

From what I read, I think JB has a very good handle on where the team really stands and where it's postioned to go.

Totally agree and I expect that he's not going to do much, if anything, at the deadline. That said, I'd hate to see him hang onto Mathias and then not able to re-sign him and have him walk for nothing.

hamhuis could return a nice package aswell. But he has a ntc aswell. Teams would also take Bonino aswell he is darn cheap, and yes he hasnt produced at a 2nd line rate, but i never expected him to considering who is linemates are.

Archived