The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's not looking to trade

Hodgson!!

Looks like Baertschi has some tools to be a top scorer, and was picked high in 2011......but I thought the Canucks were working on building from the draft, and this upcoming draft is one of the deepest in memory, the Canucks are finally being run by someone who knows how to scout, and now we dont have picks in round 2 or 3, rounds proven to provide NHLers...le sigh...

Looks like Baertschi has some tools to be a top scorer, and was picked high in 2011......but I thought the Canucks were working on building from the draft, and this upcoming draft is one of the deepest in memory, the Canucks are finally being run by someone who knows how to scout, and now we dont have picks in round 2 or 3, rounds proven to provide NHLers...le sigh...

Probably a move similar to getting Clendenning. Get a solid prospect in who is a couple years ahead of what he's giving up. Must be high on Sven.

Probably a move similar to getting Clendenning. Get a solid prospect in who is a couple years ahead of what he's giving up. Must be high on Sven.

Definitely seems like it. Now we are seeing a bit of a pattern which points to his strategy and trade style. Benning clearly likes to use picks to bring on project youth.

Definitely seems like it. Now we are seeing a bit of a pattern which points to his strategy and trade style. Benning clearly likes to use picks to bring on project youth.

Well and has to fill that gap we have too. We have a lot of really young talent from 2012/2013 drafts who are maybe still 3 years away. Not every prospect will be like Horvat.

I don't think Benning is going to sit back and watch 2nd and 3rd round pass by. I would make a substantial bet that he's going to be trading for picks at the draft. Baertschi has potential. 25 pts in 36 games in the A this year. Hasn't really broken into the NHL yet, but we'll see. If we don't replace that 2nd pick then who knows, but he's definitely making us younger. I've heard all year sports radio hosts and analysts bemoaning the fact we don't have any 22-25 year olds. Now we've got another one.

lol what... less than 25% 2nd round prospects will play more than 200 NHL games. And that's generous -- I just checked on hockeydb from 2004-2008.

Archived