The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck Conundrum

Mattrek

I'm not talking about the trade deadline, I'm talking about next year though. Much of this will be dealt with in the off season. I just wanted to get people's input on who we should keep for the rebuild and who we should leave behind.

Bieksa is a tough one. We saw what happened with Edler from last season. Will he rebound next year? Or should we try to get some picks and free up some cap space while he still has a relatively high value? Same with Higgins and Burrows. I like the dudes a lot, but we need to get younger and stronger and I think we should sell while the price this year is ridiculously high to get as much as we can for them. They only have 5 years or so max left in them, so why not get some good prospects and draft picks for the future (not like we're lacking any though).

I get what you mean, but I'd still trade Bieksa off. Bieksa is aging and Edler is only 28 so it wasn't that much of a surprise to see Edler bounce back from his previous season.

Bieksa on the other hand is already 33 and with the style he plays, he's only going to keep getting injured. He's a real like-able guy, but at 4.5 million, he's gotta bring more to the table than just being personable. The dude makes WAY too many bone-headed mistakes. He constantly needs Hamhuis to bail him out, and it seems like Hamhuis is also hitting the decline too.

We're also top 3 in the league for the oldest players. Trading Bieksa off for picks and prospects would be a step in the right direction IMHO.

And yes, I know the TDL has passed but I'd like to see him get moved during draft day or sometime soon.

Archived