The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why David Clarkson? Why not Mike Richards?

Hectic

So the Horton for Clarkson trade got me thinking.. why didn't the Blue Jackets go for Mike Richards instead? I mean I would rather have a 2 time cup winner on my team for the same contract and same amount of years remaining (Richards is 0.5 million higher, but same term remaining) than David Clarkson (who gets paid on a slash/60 mins playing time basis)

Thoughts?

Richards is a center...redundant for the CBJ as they have a younger, feistier, and offensively inclined in Brandon Dubinsky. He is already their shut down center. Also having Johansen, Wennberg in the midst means Richards is really nothing more than another bottom six guy. Clarkson at least will more likely see top six minutes on the wing of Johansen

You can also be almost certain TO will eventually spend up to the cap..so the LTIR is useful. The ownership are confident to always cover expenses, & keep turning profits. Even in a rebuild, due to the passion for hockey in the TO region.

Should they start to decline, the LA market will never have that level of economic certainty, even if their team remains far superior.

On somewhat of an off note, I'm glad that Richards is actually putting in effort in the AHL. He hasn't given up and is willing to demolish the AHL in order to gain back respect.

Because the Jackets would rather have someone who can contribute now instead of having to pay off someone $5 million every year on LTIR. Helps them in the middle of their rebuilding stage to have a seasoned NHL veteran play games while their prospects develop. Plus, MLSE can afford to pay a guy $5 million to sit out rather than Columbus ownership paying $5 million to sit.

It's all about the money in terms of ownership and in terms of players involved, allows Toronto to finally trade what shouldn't have been for a guy who Columbus doesn't want because he's costing ownership money.

Because the Jackets would rather have someone who can contribute now instead of having to pay off someone $5 million every year on LTIR. Helps them in the middle of their rebuilding stage to have a seasoned NHL veteran play games while their prospects develop. Plus, MLSE can afford to pay a guy $5 million to sit out rather than Columbus ownership paying $5 million to sit.

It's all about the money in terms of ownership and in terms of players involved, allows Toronto to finally trade what shouldn't have been for a guy who Columbus doesn't want because he's costing ownership money.

I get the reasoning behind the trade, it's that I think Richards is a better player than Clarkson (and I guess shifting positions is something that we're use to as Canucks fans), but I still think Richards would be a more effective winger than David Clarkson he is awful

I get the reasoning behind the trade, it's that I think Richards is a better player than Clarkson (and I guess shifting positions is something that we're use to as Canucks fans), but I still think Richards would be a more effective winger than David Clarkson he is awful

I always got the inclination that the Kings ownership did not want to spend the money required to buy out a contract that has turned into a dud. I am guessing that Lombardi approached the ownership about a compliance buyout in the summer but he was denied that. I expected the Kings to buy Richards this summer. It was the more prudent move and Lombardi being one of the best GMs in the league I expected him to see things that way as well. The team just won a Stanley Cup with Richards playing on the 4th line, to me it was the move that made sense but didn't pursue it. I suspected then and imo Kings ownership does not want to spend that much money for a player that isn't going to play for them.

I always got the inclination that the Kings ownership did not want to spend the money required to buy out a contract that has turned into a dud. I am guessing that Lombardi approached the ownership about a compliance buyout in the summer but he was denied that. I expected the Kings to buy Richards this summer. It was the more prudent move and Lombardi being one of the best GMs in the league I expected him to see things that way as well. The team just won a Stanley Cup with Richards playing on the 4th line, to me it was the move that made sense but didn't pursue it. I suspected then and imo Kings ownership does not want to spend that much money for a player that isn't going to play for them.

They are spending that much money though on a player who isn't playing for them now. The question isn't why the kings wouldn't do this. It's why the hell did Columbus go for Clarkson when they likely could have gotten the same deal for Richardson.

Because the Jackets would rather have someone who can contribute now instead of having to pay off someone $5 million every year on LTIR. Helps them in the middle of their rebuilding stage to have a seasoned NHL veteran play games while their prospects develop. Plus, MLSE can afford to pay a guy $5 million to sit out rather than Columbus ownership paying $5 million to sit.It's all about the money in terms of ownership and in terms of players involved, allows Toronto to finally trade what shouldn't have been for a guy who Columbus doesn't want because he's costing ownership money.

He didn't ask why the trade happened lol good effort though...

They are spending that much money though on a player who isn't playing for them now. The question isn't why the kings wouldn't do this. It's why the hell did Columbus go for Clarkson when they likely could have gotten the same deal for Richardson.

There is still the 4.7M or so that the Kings have as a cap hit going forward now that Richards is in the minors. Buying out Richards meant increasing payroll. The Kings are a highly successful market right now but going forward, will that still be the case? Would there still be enough revenue being generated if the Kings struggled in the future and teams like the Lakers, Dodgers and Angels start winning championships? Its a matter worth considering as an owner.

There is still the 4.7M or so that the Kings have as a cap hit going forward now that Richards is in the minors. Buying out Richards meant increasing payroll. The Kings are a highly successful market right now but going forward, will that still be the case? Would there still be enough revenue being generated if the Kings struggled in the future and teams like the Lakers, Dodgers and Angels start winning championships? Its a matter worth considering as an owner.

It makes absolutely no difference if they have Richards in the minors or Horton on LTIR. They pay the same money to players either way, but they do get some extra cap flexibility if the want by taking Horton on instead of Richards. It's not like they are forced to use the cap space if they don't want to. I think your missing the point of the OP, which is why didn't Columbus target Richards instead of Clarkson.

Clarkson buyout is cheaper than a Richards buyout. CBJ has no intention of keeping Clarckson after this year IMO

clarkson will be on the team next year...their options were to pay a guy not to play or pay a guy to play.. they didnt want to waste money on a guy that would never play again , clarksons contract is no good but cbj ,when healthy, are a far better team than toronto and clarkson can easily turn his game around in columbus.

Archived