The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Luca Sbisa

thejazz97

Luca Sbisa, 2015 RFA  

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This summer, Luca Sbisa becomes a restricted free agent. He is currently 25 years old and is making $2.9 million and is likely to ask for more, as free agents usually do.

He's 3-5-8 in 55 games, has a -6 rating, 33 PIMs, and a 6% scoring rate, as well as an SAT difference of -91.

So, what do we do with Luca?

He's been very good for the Canucks this year and was a key part of the Kesler deal for good reason. Not a chance JB lets the one dman with any kind of mean streak go.

cost too much to qualify him trade him for whatever we can get and turn around and give Mattias and Tanev the money.

I'd much rather move Tanev right now, or at the draft, and a get a young, top 6 fwd and either a high draft pick or a young, developing d prospect. Sbisa is good now and could be very good to great in the next three years. Plus, as mentioned, he's the only dman on the team that keeps the opposing fwds honest out there.

He's Bieksa with a much better skill set, I love his game.

http://www.puckmeplease.com/restricted-free-agent-offer-sheets/

" WHAT IS THE COMPENSATION REQUIRED FOR SIGNING A RFA TO AN OFFER SHEET?
For 2013 – 2014, the compensation due for signing a RFA to an Offer Sheet is:

Amount Compensation Due $1,110,249 or below None Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 3rd round pick Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 2nd round pick Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 1st and 3rd round pick Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 Two 1st’s, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick Over $8,410,976 Four 1st round picks

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 2nd round pick

Just to clarify, his salary is 2.9m his cap hit is 2.175. http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2015

Though I believe you guys are right, his QO would have to be based on salary.

We have some guys we HAVE to keep, and the money has to come from somewhere. Chris Tanev is looking at a raise, we want to keep Matthias and Dorsett as well. In order to accomplish this, 3m folded from a 5th defenseman wouldn't be a bad idea. Hell, it could be our only option towards keeping these guys and staying under the cap.

He's yung and ok big. I think we give him the QO and let him grow a little. If he does not improve in the next two years then trade him. D men always take longer to develop. He could be the next Jovo, or Willie?

I see some problems with this poll.

1. One option the Canucks have with Sbisa is to make a team election for arbitration. The arbitrator would choose some salary for one year at not less than 85% of his current salary of $2.9 million.

That option isn't listed.

2. "Release him" is listed as an option, but isn't something the Canucks can do. They can buy him out for this season, they can not tender him a contract for next season, but they can't simply release him. That wording could make sense in sports where a team releases a player and no longer has to pay him, but that isn't the case in the NHL with the collective bargaining agreement.

3. Some of those who voted to make him a qualifying offer no doubt did so before the original posting was corrected to list his salary at $2.9 million. If I remember correctly, the original post gave a lower amount.

4. One of the Canucks' options is to try to sign Sbisa to a lower amount than the $2.9 million minimum for a qualifying offer but not make a qualifying offer and not submit the matter to arbitration. It also isn't listed. It would have been my choice if it had been included originally.

I'm not voting in the poll.

I see some problems with this poll.

1. One option the Canucks have with Sbisa is to make a team election for arbitration. The arbitrator would choose some salary for one year at not less than 85% of his current salary of $2.9 million.

That option isn't listed.

2. "Release him" is listed as an option, but isn't something the Canucks can do. They can buy him out for this season, they can not tender him a contract for next season, but they can't simply release him. That wording could make sense in sports where a team releases a player and no longer has to pay him, but that isn't the case in the NHL with the collective bargaining agreement.

3. Some of those who voted to make him a qualifying offer no doubt did so before the original posting was corrected to list his salary at $2.9 million. If I remember correctly, the original post gave a lower amount.

4. One of the Canucks' options is to try to sign Sbisa to a lower amount than the $2.9 million minimum for a qualifying offer but not make a qualifying offer and not submit the matter to arbitration. It also isn't listed. It would have been my choice if it had been included originally.

I'm not voting in the poll.

Ya lol, I didn't vote either.

Should keep the options simple - Qualify, sign, or trade.

If we qualify him, and he doesn't sign, there is potential that if another team wants him we get a draft pick out of it. At 2.9 or more, we get at least a 1st and a 3rd out of it.

No one is going to offer sheet a guy like Sbisa

At some point, Benning and Linden will have to look at the Canucks D and figure out who's staying and who's going.

Sbisa has proven that he can push for a top 4 role.

Tanev is turning into a bona fide top pairing D and will be a great D in this league, IMO, so I'd not recommend touching him. Which means one of Hamhuis, Edler or Bieksa has to go.

It's clear that the bottom 2 can be handled by the current rotation of Corrado, Biega, Clendenning, Stanton, Weber and Subban is going to be pushing for a potential spot next year, too, but likely an AHL call-up ext year. Bottom line is that there is depth on D so the bottom 2 shouldn't be an issue.

But if Benning and Lindedn want to keep Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa and Tanev as the top 4, then Sbisa might not have a future in Vancouver.

2.9 is a lot for a 3rd pairing D.

Other than that, he's the right age, plays a physical game and is improving.

Give him a QO. Other teams wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for him esp this year

He won't be a 3rd pairing guy for long.

Juice and Hammer are both entering the latter part of their careers and with the logjam on the Canucks' blueline, it's possible that anyone not named Edler is moved, either at the deadline, or in the summer.

Sbisa makes his share of mental mistakes, but he has the skating and physical game that is somewhat lacking on this roster. I think JB will do what it takes to keep him around.

We'll resign him for about 1.5

:lol: Good luck with that.

I'll be impressed if we can keep him for double that amount.

Archived