The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Luca Sbisa

thejazz97

Luca Sbisa, 2015 RFA  

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd much rather move Tanev right now, or at the draft, and a get a young, top 6 fwd and either a high draft pick or a young, developing d prospect. Sbisa is good now and could be very good to great in the next three years. Plus, as mentioned, he's the only dman on the team that keeps the opposing fwds honest out there.

He's Bieksa with a much better skill set, I love his game.

I somewhat agree on not overpaying for Tanev if we won't settle for 3.5 or less I would trade him to somewhere that will pay him more.

On Sbisa It's great that he can land a hit and he seems like a good locker room guy having said that he is only a slight upgrade on Stanton. 2.9m is too much to pay essentially a 3rd string D unless they do something exceptionally well. I won't cry if both Tanev and Sbisa are replaced that would leave 6+ mill to spend on a top pairing D who actually Has elite talent to pit alongside Edler.

Edler Seabrook (for example)

Ham Juice

Stanton Corrado/Clendening

Resign. I think he's in for a revival like Edler next season.

That would be nice. If we had Edler from 2011 (Edler) with us next year and Edler from 2015 (Sbisa) with us next year and Chris Tanev and Dan Hamhuis. Solid Top 4.

He is no more than a 5th or 6th defenceman, and just because he was a high pick doesn't mean he should ask for big minutes or big money.

Sbisa has been brutal defensively all season long. One of the worst Corsi ratings on the team, a bad +/- considering how well our other defencemen are doing and all he really does is throw the occasional big hit. For a physical defenceman who doesn't put up much offence and is shaky defensively, he should get no more than 2M, 17 minutes a night.

Of course with injuries he's a great fill-in to have in our top-4, but when healthy our defence should look like this:

Edler (24 minutes) - Tanev (22 minutes)

Hamhuis (21 minutes) - Clendening/Corrado (17 minutes)

Sbisa (15 minutes) - Bieksa (21 minutes)

Stanton

Ideally we work Hamhuis and Bieksa off their big 20+ minutes and get Clendening/Corrado into bigger minutes, but I don't want Sbisa to be taking up more ice time than he already is or this team is going to be in trouble. Obviously we can't over-work Edler and Tanev either.

This off-season we've got a lot of decisions to make and I'm sure Benning will be able to nab us a great left handed defenceman to completely replace Sbisa (who we cant then either let walk or re-sign for under 2M) and to slowly take some of Hamhuis' time away.

I like Sbisa....sometimes is a goof but is showing good stuff lately definitely bring physically with juice out.

The staff is finally harnessing all the skill and mobility he has that its starting to get there. Give him another year and he could be a solid guy and possibly could allow us to step away from either Juice or Hammer when their contracts are up.

I like Bieksa as much as the next guy, but if he's so good why is it I only hear his name when he's made a dumb move and allowed the opponents to score? He's 24th out of 29 guys who've played for us at a -4. Want to guess who's 29th? Lucas Sbisa -6. Trade them both while they have value.

Yeah, I doubt that.

Minus four is nothing for a top four defenseman on a team that struggles to score.

He's certainly not worthy of a raise, and I think he knows that. He's not even worth the qualifying offer really for a lower pairing d-man, but I'd hate to see him leave for nothing.

I'd say if we can get something in return for him, ship him off. Otherwise, qualify him and hope he continues to improve incrementally.

Yeah, I doubt that.

Minus four is nothing for a top four defenseman on a team that struggles to score.

Canucks are 13th in the league in GF vs GA at +12 and 16th in total goals scored. That isn't exactly a "struggle", it's just average and we have a few games in hand on most teams and would be top 10 in both after we caught up in games played. The big point is out of 29 guys on our roster he ranks 24th in plus minus. If you don't like that stat how about the fact that his plus/minus is ranked 211th out of 287 NHL defenseman. Bieksa's a great guy, but he's lost his edge and it may be time to try to get something back before he loses his perceived value.

I like Bieksa as much as the next guy, but if he's so good why is it I only hear his name when he's made a dumb move and allowed the opponents to score? He's 24th out of 29 guys who've played for us at a -4. Want to guess who's 29th? Lucas Sbisa -6. Trade them both while they have value.

Trade them both? I must disagree, I'd be reluctant to trade either one at the moment,unless JB has other plans to bring in other physical defensemen by trade or whatever.

The way our D core stands now, getting rid of Bieksa and Sbisa would leave us with absolutely no pushback from the backend. It would be open season on Miller and Lack. I guess we could bring up Pedan to counter that,but I'm guessing he's at least a year away from being ready.

IMO its better to resign Sbisa at the QO, and mabye trade Tanev while his value is high.

Trade them both? I must disagree, I'd be reluctant to trade either one at the moment,unless JB has other plans to bring in other physical defensemen by trade or whatever.

The way our D core stands now, getting rid of Bieksa and Sbisa would leave us with absolutely no pushback from the backend. It would be open season on Miller and Lack. I guess we could bring up Pedan to counter that,but I'm guessing he's at least a year away from being ready.

IMO its better to resign Sbisa at the QO, and mabye trade Tanev while his value is high.

I think Biega can provide the physical edge we need and maybe we can bring up Pedan also. If we gotta keep one for depth then keep Sbisa, but if we want to get something back from Bieksa we're running out of time.

1 year 2.9 million dollar contract for next year. He hasn't been a good enough defenseman to justify a longer deal.

If we're having cap issues of any sort (Tanev extension, ufa signings, etc.) I'd give him up.

He has stepped it up somewhat since the injuries but he's been pretty bad for a couple years and was not good to start the year either. That said, he's still a long ways away from having the defensive game that Tanev possesses. If it comes down to a 4+ million Tanev or a 3 million Sbisa, the obvious choice is Chris Tanev.

Archived