The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Luca Sbisa

thejazz97

Luca Sbisa, 2015 RFA  

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Biega can provide the physical edge we need and maybe we can bring up Pedan also. If we gotta keep one for depth then keep Sbisa, but if we want to get something back from Bieksa we're running out of time.

Did you see how badly Biega was exposed on the opening goal last night?

And you complain about Bieksa's mistakes? :rolleyes:

Taking him to team-elected arbitration could get his salary reduced to 85% of what it is now, which is 2.465.

I think Benning could simply say he'd like to avoid that, and offer him one more year at 2.5, which he would take. I think he's worth it.

Did you see how badly Biega was exposed on the opening goal last night?

And you complain about Bieksa's mistakes? :rolleyes:

Biega is a 26 year old first year rookie. Bieksa is a 33 year old with 10 years of NHL experience. It's not apples to apples here. Am I saying Biega is perfect? Hell no! He was sloppy last night and he has a lot to learn still, but he has a lot more years of hockey left and way more upside. The fact that a 10 year veteran has made the same mistakes as a 26 year old rookie says it all. Would I pick a 600k 26 year old rookie defenseman to keep over a 33 year old 4.5m dollar veteran? Every time.

Biega is a 26 year old first year rookie. Bieksa is a 33 year old with 10 years of NHL experience. It's not apples to apples here. Am I saying Biega is perfect? Hell no! He was sloppy last night and he has a lot to learn still, but he has a lot more years of hockey left and way more upside. The fact that a 10 year veteran has made the same mistakes as a 26 year old rookie says it all. Would I pick a 600k 26 year old rookie defenseman to keep over a 33 year old 4.5m dollar veteran? Every time.

i am probably the most critical of Bieksa on this board but i would take him over Biega 100 times over in a 82 game season

i am probably the most critical of Bieksa on this board but i would take him over Biega 100 times over in a 82 game season

Not for 4.5m. Use the savings to get a younger D as well as Biega.

2.9 to qualify. There is simply no way to justify paying a defensemen of his calibre 2.9m. If Benning actually qualifies him, I will laugh very very very very hard.

If there is a way to get him cheaper, I wouldn't mind him at 1m (which is what his ability is worth).

2.9 to qualify. There is simply no way to justify paying a defensemen of his calibre 2.9m. If Benning actually qualifies him, I will laugh very very very very hard.

If there is a way to get him cheaper, I wouldn't mind him at 1m (which is what his ability is worth).

people really undervalue him here dont they?

you do realize that it takes years for players to develop fully right? sbisa hasnt even been here a year and people already want to give up on him?

He's better but there's no room for him unless we move Weber, Bieksa/Stanton and put Stanton/Bieksa in the pressbox. Even then, I don't want a player like Sbisa beside Clendening we should get something better with 2.9 in cap space. I hope Benning doesn't just re-sign him because he got him in the Kesler trade and doesn't want to look bad.

Clendening just hasn't been good enough but I see the potential. We can just sub Clendening in and out of the line-up if it's against a weak team to get him some ice-time and get comfortable. I think Corrado is better overall than Clendening with his defensive play, smart first pass. Clendening still looks a little comfortable, he'll get there but he just needs some time in and out of the NHL. If we get 100% healthy on the back-end then send Clendening down let him get some AHL time then next season he should be more comfortable from learned some in the NHL and using his skills in the AHL like how he would in the NHL.

I like this line-up next season.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

Stanton-Bieksa

Clendening

people really undervalue him here dont they?

you do realize that it takes years for players to develop fully right? sbisa hasnt even been here a year and people already want to give up on him?

Did you read what I posted?

His career has been up and down, his season has been up and down. Started terribly, played well for a stretch, then bad again, but recently he has played well. He played 25:46 Sunday night, more than any Canuck dman, including 4:24 short handed. His average SH TOI /game is creeping up to Hamhuis', higher than Bieksa, and way higher than the other dmen.

Keep in mind Sbisa is still very young (a year younger than Tanev and Stanton).

Reminds me a lot of Bryan Allen actually. Right now he is a decent number 5 guy, who could be a decent number 4 guy next season. For 2.9m I am on the fence, overall I think we should keep him based on potential and the fact he is at least serviceable.

Love his physical game, decent skater too. He is underrated on these boards, but I don't think he will be anything more than a second pairing.

Sbisa's getting humongous lately... don't you guys see that!? Defensively he's perhaps our best d-man right now. Putting up major minutes in our zone and is the only one with some raw power.

Yes, he still does some mistakes, but hey, have you been watching Hamhuis, Bieksa this season!? They all makes mistakes sometimes...

I want Sbisa resigned ASAP! He's still young, lacked confidence when entering our team, but is lately starting the show his color. He can be a top-4 sooner than later.

He's a keeper!!

Archived