The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowden Warns Canadians To Be 'Extraordinarily Cautious' Over Anti-Terror Bill

nux4lyfe

Ah yes. That was exactly my point. Sidney Crosby may be the best player in the world but he can't play without a stick. The government is an evil version of Crosby and now they have a stick.

More like McDavid because they're ready to take their "evil" game to the big leagues.

Sounds like a party.

I'm guessing this will lead to a false and very tense world peace that will all fall apart in a terrible way. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Doomsday Clock moved closer to midnight after rising threat from climate change, nuclear arsenals

Updated

23 Jan 2015, 9:24am

Rising threats from climate change and nuclear arsenals prompted the scientists who maintain the Doomsday Clock, a symbolic countdown to global catastrophe, to move it two minutes closer to midnight on Thursday, its first shift in three years.

The Doomsday Clock, devised by the Chicago-based Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, now stands at three minutes to midnight, or doomsday.

It has been adjusted 18 times since its creation in 1947. It has been set as close as two minutes to midnight, in 1953 when the United States tested a hydrogen bomb, and as far as 17 minutes from midnight, in 1991 as the Cold War expired.

It was last adjusted in January 2012, when it was moved one minute closer to midnight.

"Today, unchecked climate change and a nuclear arms race resulting from modernisation of huge arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity," Bulletin executive director Kennette Benedict told a news conference.

The change was announced less than a week after US scientists announced that 2014 was Earth's hottest on record, with researchers pointing to human emissions of greenhouse gases as the main cause.

Mr Benedict said world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale necessary to protect against potential catastrophe, and the adjustment in the clock was intended to inspire action.

"These failures of leadership endanger every person on Earth," Mr Benedict said.

The Bulletin is a periodical founded in 1945 by University of Chicago scientists who helped develop the first atomic weapons in the Manhattan Project.

The Bulletin's science and security board, which adjusts the clock, said steps to address climate change do not match expectations of even five years ago, let alone the actual need, while investments continue to pour into fossil fuel infrastructure.

Sweeping nuclear weapons modernisation programs and a disarmament machinery that has ground to a halt has dampened cautious optimism about the possibility of keeping the nuclear arms race in check, the scientists said.

The board recommended action to cap greenhouse gas emissions, cut spending on nuclear weapons modernisation programs and a renewed drive toward nuclear disarmament.

"We are not saying it is too late to take action, but the window for action is closing rapidly," Mr Benedict said.

"The world needs to be awakened from its lethargy and start making changes."

Doomsday Clock moved closer to midnight after rising threat from climate change, nuclear arsenals

"We are not saying it is too late to take action, but the window for action is closing rapidly," Mr Benedict said.

By the time the world does wake up, it will be midnight on that clock.

^The news outlets will have you believe in the importance of 200 seperate entities(mostly nations), yet have become increasingly quiet on environmental issues. I'd suggest the health of the planet deserves page 1, & due to vested interest, they've intentionally got it all backwards.

We've dithered & wasted away 2 decades so far, no small thanks to energy lobbying.

The poorest & most easily duped will continue with flags & pom poms. The intellectuals with conscience will lose their voice, & look away sadly. The global elite(who prob don't give a rat's derriere about patriotism, in fact) will eventually realize what kind of world they've left their descendants.

The poorest & most easily duped will continue with flags & pom poms. The intellectuals with conscience will lose their voice, & look away sadly. The global elite(who prob don't give a rat's derriere about patriotism, in fact) will eventually realize what kind of world they've left their descendants.

IMO at the rate we're going, there won't be many more descendants to leave this world to.

^The news outlets will have you believe in the importance of 200 seperate entities(mostly nations), yet have become increasingly quiet on environmental issues. I'd suggest the health of the planet deserves page 1, & due to vested interest, they've intentionally got it all backwards.

We've dithered & wasted away 2 decades so far, no small thanks to energy lobbying.

THE DECLINE

Where are all the stupid people from?

And how'd they get to be so dumb?

Bred on purple mountain range

Feed amber waves of grains

To lesser human beings, zero feelings

Blame it on

Human nature, mans destiny (mans destiny)

Blame it on the greediocracy (greediocracy)

Fear of God

The fear of change

The fear of truth

Add the Bill of Rights, subtract the wrongs

There's no answers

Memorize and sing star spangled songs

When the questions

Aren't ever asked

Is anybody learning from the past?

We're living in united stagnation

Father what have I done?

I took that .22

A gift to me from you

To bed with me each night

Kept it clean

Polished it well

Cherished every cartridge, every shell

Down, by the creek, under brush, under dirt

There's a carcass of my second kill

Down, by the park, under stone, under pine

There's a carcass of my brother William

Brother where, have you gone to?

I swear, I never thought I could

I see so many times

They told me to shoot straight

Don't pull the trigger, squeeze

That will insure a kill

A kill is what you want

A kill is why we breed

The Christians love their guns

The church and NRA

Pray for their salvations

Prey on the lower faiths

The story book's been read

And every line believed

Curriculum's been set

Logic is a threat

Reason searched and seized

Jerry spent some time in Michigan

A twenty year vacation, after all he had a dime

A dime is worth a lot more in Detroit

A dime in California, a twenty dollar fine

Jerry only stayed a couple months

It's hard to enjoy yourself while bleeding out the ass

Asphyxiation is simple and fast

It beats seventeen fun years of being someone's bitch

Don't think (Stay)

Drink your wine (Home)

Watch the fire burn (Be)

His problems not mine (Safe)

Just be that model citizen

I wish I had a schilling

(For each senseless killing)

For every senseless killing

I'd buy a government

America's for sale

And you can get a good deal on it

(A good deal on it)

And make a healthy profit

Or maybe, tear it apart

Start with assumption

That a million people are smart

Smarter than one

Serotonin's gone

She gave up, drifted away

Sara fled, thought process gone

She left her answering machine on

The greeting left spoken sincere

Messages no one will ever hear

Ten thousand messages a day

A million more transmissions lay

Victims of the laissez faire

Ten thousand voices, a hundred guns

A hundred decibels turns to one

One bullet, one empty head

Now with Serotonin gone

The man who used to speak

Performs a cute routine

Feel a little patronized

Don't feel bad

They found a way inside your head

And you feel a bit misled

It's not that they don't care, yeah

The television's put a thought inside your head

Like a Barry Manilow, jingle

I'd like, to teach the world to sing

In perfect harmony

A symphonic blank stare, yeah

It doesn't make you care (make you care)

Not designed to make you care (make you care)

They're betting you won't care (you won't...)

Place a wager on your greed

A wager on your pride

Why try to beat them when, a million others tried?

We are the whore

Intellectually spayed

We are the queer

Dysfunctionally raised

One more pill to kill the pain

Living through conformity

One more prayer to keep me safe

One more prayer to keep us warm

One more prayer to keep us safe

There's gonna be a better place

Lost the battle, lost the war

Lost the things worth living for

Lost the will to win the fight

Na na na na na

La na na na na

Na na na na na

Na na na na na

The going get tough, the tough get debt

Don't pay attention, pay the rent

Next of kins pay for your sins

A little faith should keep us safe

Save us

The human, existence

Is failing, resistance

Essential, the future

Written off, the odds are

Astronomically against us

Only moron and genius

Would fight a losing battle

Against the super ego

When giving in is so damn comforting

And so we go, on with our lives

We know the truth, but prefer lies

Lies are simple, simple is bliss

Why go against tradition when we can

Admit defeat, live in decline

Be the victim of our own design

The status quo, built on suspect

Why would anyone stick out their neck?

Fellow members of

Club "We've Got Ours"

I'd like to introduce you to our host

He's got his, and I've got mine

Meet the decline

We are the queer

We are the whore

Ammunition

In the class war

We are worker

We love our queen

We sacrifice

We're soilent green

We are the queer

We are the whore

Ammunition

In the class war

Mikey B

^Heavy stuff, Bhudda H. Always enjoy your posts.

Your post , the one I replied to was spot on , except for the wasting 2 decades , I believe we have squandered more than that.

I have opined on this many times , at our best we are an incredible species , selfless , compassionate , kind .

At our worst ? all you have to do is look at current world events to guage that.

Do not have many hereos outside of my family and friends and those who devote their lives to helping others but I really admire Mike Burkett, his songs strike a chord inside of me.

I'll check him out. A lot of his stuff like that?

Updated23 Jan 2015, 9:24am

6040280-3x2-340x227.jpg Photo: Scientists speak during a press conference after updating the Doomsday Clock in Washington from five minutes to midnight to three minutes to midnight. (AFP: Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Map: United States

Rising threats from climate change and nuclear arsenals prompted the scientists who maintain the Doomsday Clock, a symbolic countdown to global catastrophe, to move it two minutes closer to midnight on Thursday, its first shift in three years.

The Doomsday Clock, devised by the Chicago-based Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, now stands at three minutes to midnight, or doomsday.

It has been adjusted 18 times since its creation in 1947. It has been set as close as two minutes to midnight, in 1953 when the United States tested a hydrogen bomb, and as far as 17 minutes from midnight, in 1991 as the Cold War expired.

It was last adjusted in January 2012, when it was moved one minute closer to midnight.

"Today, unchecked climate change and a nuclear arms race resulting from modernisation of huge arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity," Bulletin executive director Kennette Benedict told a news conference.

The change was announced less than a week after US scientists announced that 2014 was Earth's hottest on record, with researchers pointing to human emissions of greenhouse gases as the main cause.

Mr Benedict said world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale necessary to protect against potential catastrophe, and the adjustment in the clock was intended to inspire action.

"These failures of leadership endanger every person on Earth," Mr Benedict said.

The Bulletin is a periodical founded in 1945 by University of Chicago scientists who helped develop the first atomic weapons in the Manhattan Project.

The Bulletin's science and security board, which adjusts the clock, said steps to address climate change do not match expectations of even five years ago, let alone the actual need, while investments continue to pour into fossil fuel infrastructure.

Sweeping nuclear weapons modernisation programs and a disarmament machinery that has ground to a halt has dampened cautious optimism about the possibility of keeping the nuclear arms race in check, the scientists said.

The board recommended action to cap greenhouse gas emissions, cut spending on nuclear weapons modernisation programs and a renewed drive toward nuclear disarmament.

Doesn't exist, its man made

Doesn't exist, its man made

It's at 11:57 pm, I believe. It's a measurement of how close we are to destroying ourselves. Considering it's at three minutes to midnight right now, and considering the signs of the times according to prophecies by prophets are coming to pass, I'd say it's time to pay attention to the world around us.

Honestly, the biggest problem is lack of public awareness to this stuff. I mention Snowden, mass surveillance, NSA, Bill C-51 to any of my friends, majority of whom are University educated people, and they either have no idea what I'm talking about or fail to see any value in the privacy vs. security debate. People don't even know this stuff is happening. They'd rather talk about whether to get an iPhone or Android next, or what color you think the freakin dress is.

Archived