The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Why we should trade Matthias

Hell no we shouldn't trade him. He, Kenins and Horvat create an energy that infects the whole team to up their game levels consistently. He got us going against St. Louis tonight, without Matthias we lose tonight period end of story. He's going to be a building block for this team and could easily become a future star. He's only 27 also, so still fairly young and a lot of good hockey years ahead of him.

Everyone seems so obsessed with draft picks this year and yes it's the deepest draft in many years, but the draft is no guarantee, sometimes you hit sometimes you miss and to get a 3rd line centre scoring 20+ goals a season and 30+ points is a needle in a haystack situation. He brings an edge, speed, goal scoring and an energy that elevates his team mates. That's way more valuable then the possibility of a better player in 3-4 years time.

The only trades I'm making for draft picks is those older 30+ players, not for young guys in their prime that we can build off of.

Yup,hard to argue with this. Our 2nd leading goal scorer and playing on the 3rd line to boot. Unless his contract demands are over the top, the Canucks should definitely pony up and sign him to term,and move one or two of the older vets (Burrows,Higgins) instead.

Let me start this off by saying i am a huge Matthias fan. As i am sure every canuck fan is.

Now with the way teams are overpaying for players this year, Matthias can land us a BIG return. I think we could easily get a 2015 1st.

Team we could get a great return from is the Bruins. Especially after the Panthers picked up Jagr. We could probably package him with kassian and get an even bigger return.

To Bruins:

Kassian

Matthias

To Canucks:

2015 1st

2015 3rd

Connoly

2016 1st (if Matthias resigns)

Who knows. Maybe Matthias loves playing here so much he will sign as a UFA in the sumner.

I know a lot of people would rather him stay here, as do i. But his play this year is going to earn him a BIG pay day. I would rather trade him and get picks for this draft and then try and sign him in the summer. If he dont sign, well than we didnt lose him for nothing.

Just heard about Connoly trade. Maybe Bruins did that because the canucks didnt want Bartkowski because we got Clendenning. Maybe connoly will be a canuck tomorrow.

You realise there is no guarantee that a mid to low 2015 first round pick does any better than one of Matthias or Kassian right?

You also realize that this is a contract year leading into his first UFA eligibility year.

A big power forward on pace to score 20+ goals is a rare commodity, especially with his foot speed and defensive awareness. I can see him commanding 4+ in the open market EASY, considering what Clarkson got, and Matthias is a far superior player to Clarkson.

I don't think the Canucks can afford to re-sign him, considering Tanev and all of the other RFA's/NTCs on the team.

Buy low, sell high.

Matthias has been eclipsing Bonino as the season progresses. He is fast, huge and can play C. Size at center is every teams dream. His shift back to the middle on that rush tonight which generated a great scoring chance for him is a taste of more to come. At 27 I suspect he signs a 3 year deal which gets him a really big payday at his prime at 30. He fits the new Canuck timeline. There are older players who do not.

Let me start this off by saying i am a huge Matthias fan. As i am sure every canuck fan is.

Now with the way teams are overpaying for players this year, Matthias can land us a BIG return. I think we could easily get a 2015 1st.

Team we could get a great return from is the Bruins. Especially after the Panthers picked up Jagr. We could probably package him with kassian and get an even bigger return.

To Bruins:

Kassian

Matthias

To Canucks:

2015 1st

2015 3rd

Connoly

2016 1st (if Matthias resigns)

Who knows. Maybe Matthias loves playing here so much he will sign as a UFA in the sumner.

I know a lot of people would rather him stay here, as do i. But his play this year is going to earn him a BIG pay day. I would rather trade him and get picks for this draft and then try and sign him in the summer. If he dont sign, well than we didnt lose him for nothing.

Just heard about Connoly trade. Maybe Bruins did that because the canucks didnt want Bartkowski because we got Clendenning. Maybe connoly will be a canuck tomorrow.

so what you're saying is you think matthias and kassian are worth two firsts, two seconds and a third to boston.

:picard:

If he signs somewhere else on a big contract July 1st a lot of people will be changing their tune to we should have dealt him at the deadline when value was high and picks were flying.

Benning has already started contract talks mattias. I think by now he would know if he is asking for too much and weather we could sign him.

It would suck if we hold on to Matthais and end up not re-signing him, that's for sure. But it may be a chance we have to take. Let's assume his agent is asking for something we can't really afford right now, e.g. 4 mil, and that is why he hasn't re-signed already. Do we try to sell high now or play for time? By playing for time, I mean waiting til the off season to clear some cap space so we can sign and keep him, or alternatively, do a sign-and-trade around draft day. My guess is that Benning is leaning in this direction. Matthais is having a breakout season, is a pretty valuable member of our lineup right now and the kind of player you want in the playoffs. If we plan on doing anything in the post-season, I doubt we're dealing him except for a big overpayment, something like a good prospect and a 1st, or a straight-up hockey deal, e.g. for a top-4 D of a similar age. Somehow I doubt that either scenario will pan out today, but we'll see.

Shawn Matthias is having the season of his career (big surprise it's a contract year), and he's 27.

Prime of his career. It took him a long time to develop. Usually guys like that peak, and trail off quickly. If he was 24 and having this kind of year, I'd say lock him up.

I wouldn't be shocked if next year he puts up 20g again and has a similar season. He was on pace for 20+ goals during the shortened season. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a big contract somewhere and he's another Clarkson or Poulliot.

At 27, he's not going to keep getting better, and he's not going to be this good for more than 1 or 2 seasons. If he's looking for a 4 or 5 year deal, I'd trade him before he walks. If Benning can get him for 2-3 years, I'd accept a 3 yr/11 million contract way more than a 5 yr deal worth less money.

lol trading matthias would be stupid unless he has made it clear he will not resign with the canucks.

Would need an elite prospect coming back. (which we wont get)

he is a perfect player to include in our rebuild.

I just commented on this in another thread. He is beginning to look like the player Florida wanted him to be. I don't think he's going anywhere. He's on a line that's showing some great chemistry. If he keeps it up, he gets re-signed for sure.

Shawn Matthias is having the season of his career (big surprise it's a contract year), and he's 27.

Prime of his career. It took him a long time to develop. Usually guys like that peak, and trail off quickly. If he was 24 and having this kind of year, I'd say lock him up.

I wouldn't be shocked if next year he puts up 20g again and has a similar season. He was on pace for 20+ goals during the shortened season. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs a big contract somewhere and he's another Clarkson or Poulliot.

At 27, he's not going to keep getting better, and he's not going to be this good for more than 1 or 2 seasons. If he's looking for a 4 or 5 year deal, I'd trade him before he walks. If Benning can get him for 2-3 years, I'd accept a 3 yr/11 million contract way more than a 5 yr deal worth less money.

Can you back any of that up with facts. He was playing for Florida for goodness sake. He is now playing with skilled guys in an elite team. To-day's Florida is not what they were like when Matthias was traded.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

If someone blew our socks off offering a 1st and a 3rd maybe. Think he is going to continually have 25 goal seasons from next season on. If willie can get him producing earlier in the year as he has been for the past month and a half he could easily reach 25 goals a year. Wish I knew what was being discussed about his next contract.

Trade the only 2 power forwards you have? You don't win in the NHL specifically the West unless you have some size and can grind out 3 series wins against teams that have all bulked up. Hang on to both and get bigger on your back end. Management can't be hypocritical and say we can win with this core group NOW and not give us the best chance of succeeding in the playoffs by not adding some pieces that are presumably able to assist the grinding part of the game.

Interesting to see if anything gets done.

There are 8 tough playoff teams in the West. We only have to beat 3 of them. Anything can happen in the playoffs. I like our grit and pace right now but we need some pieces!

Archived