The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Petry to MTL

Checked his stats and yikes!

-25 this year

-22 last year

NO THANKS!

This is why he will be a major steal when he signs his new contract this summer. If you watch the Oilers a lot, you notice he is a flower growing in a pot of weeds.

No, he really isn't.

You just refuse to give him any credit because he's on the Oilers... Petry is a solid defenseman who will definitely improve MTL.

EDIT: You know you can play a perfect shift, down to the last detail, and still end up with a -? +/- is a garbage stat.

So all this talk for years about the Oilers needing to add quality defenseman was meaning everybody but Jeff Petry. Ok then

Checked his stats and yikes!

-25 this year

-22 last year

NO THANKS!

Yandle's a league-worst -32, but also an elite puck-moving, 50 point defenseman. Would you say no to that?

Because Sather still gave up this year's 1st AND Anthony Duclair for him.

Petry was one of the Oilers better defensivemen

and he's just hitting his prime at 26 years old. Oilers are one messed up franchise. They had the opportunity to lock him up long term last summer but instead chose to give him a one year deal. They spend all of those years developing him, their biggest weakness is defence and so hey lets trade our best defenceman. Just like the prime Perron for a late draft pick, this is another boneheaded move by Oilers management

So the Oilers give up one of their only good young defensemen for gamble picks? Wtf?

Edit: NVM I see Petry is a UFA at the end of the season, he was going to bolt no doubt. Makes more sense now, good trade for both sides.

Yeah I get it, he played with the Coilers but he has to take some responsibility for his play too.

Two back to back heavy minus years for a D man is troubling. He was also a minus player in the minors.

+/- on an awful team doesn't reflect play. On a bad team, a good player will tend to get a lot of minutes, but being on a bad team they'll get scored on more than they'll score and +/- can be miserable.

Unless you're finding some way to adjust for time on ice and usage, +/- for a really bad team says nothing.

I'm not sure if +/- is available with any adjustments. I note that Petry's CorsiFor%RelTm is positive, as his his FF%RelTm, despite having more defensive zone starts than offensive zone starts. http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201415&sit=5v5&pos=defense&minutes=50&teamid=12&type=corsi&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC

That might not mean much, either, but it seems better than using +/- for a guy who's playing 21 min a night on a bad team. (http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/EDM/2015.html)

Archived