The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line-Up After the Trade Deadline

JamesB

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Matthias Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Vey Burrows

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Roll all four lines. Keep the team fresh and strong. The young guys have shown they have got a motor to log minutes when needed. Dorsett, I love your energy and hustle, but just like Vey and Kassian got, you just gotta sit a bit. Only a certain number of spots.

I like your d pairings though. But honestly, I'm a Ryan Stanton fan. I like Stanton over Sbisa. Not a knock on Sbisa, just again. Only so many spots.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Stanton Clendening

And when it comes to Weber. I think Yannick Weber is one of the most underrated players on this team. The man is the definition of versatile. He comes off the healthy scratch and can play with pretty much anyone in the lineup. Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa, Stanton, etc. He's not lockdown defensively, but he's responsible. He's got decent vision and a strong hard slapper. He can hop in the lineup whenever someone in injured and fill the whole fairly responsibly, while bringing a good element to the PP, or 2nd PP unit. Overall, solid team, playoff worthy if you ask me

I would put Matthias as center, he seems pretty comfortable there. Sure, he isn't good at draws but who on our team is anyways?

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

Dorsett-Matthias-Vey (Matthias and Vey alternates draws)

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Until Burrows and Richardson returns, which could be at least a week away.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Matthias Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Vey Burrows

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Roll all four lines. Keep the team fresh and strong. The young guys have shown they have got a motor to log minutes when needed. Dorsett, I love your energy and hustle, but just like Vey and Kassian got, you just gotta sit a bit. Only a certain number of spots.

I like your d pairings though. But honestly, I'm a Ryan Stanton fan. I like Stanton over Sbisa. Not a knock on Sbisa, just again. Only so many spots.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Stanton Clendening

And when it comes to Weber. I think Yannick Weber is one of the most underrated players on this team. The man is the definition of versatile. He comes off the healthy scratch and can play with pretty much anyone in the lineup. Hamhuis, Edler, Sbisa, Stanton, etc. He's not lockdown defensively, but he's responsible. He's got decent vision and a strong hard slapper. He can hop in the lineup whenever someone in injured and fill the whole fairly responsibly, while bringing a good element to the PP, or 2nd PP unit. Overall, solid team, playoff worthy if you ask me

I like your forward lines. I'd switch Matthias and Burrows, and Vey on RW and Matthias as center.

Willie D. will rather take a bullet in the chest then bench Dorsett and Vey. The medicine hat boys will stay in the lineup just like Raymond and Rome did with AV.

Dorsett should be in the line up. He is fast, an agitator, always around the puck and good back checker. In addition he has heart and he brings all those qualities to every game. Why would you bench a fourth line grinder who does the things you want him to do and still chips in with a few goals.

Vey .....Eh. Not that strong along the wall, more of a fringe player so when we are healthy, he is likely to be a healthy scratch.

People have to remember that scoring goals is not the only contribution a player can make. Playing very well defensively counts a lot as well but is not measurable and easily goes unnoticed by those who only identify good play with scoring goals.

Kassian is Rollin... Can't bench him.

Hansen is Rollin... Can't bench him.

Kenins is Rollin... Can't Bench him.

I think Vey is the easy scratch as he is cold, small and cannot win faceoffs.

Where we have a tough time is with Higgins and Dorsett... Higgins is cold but has speed and PK skills but so does Dorsett who is a heart and soul player for us currently. I think that unless Kenins cools off Dorsett will have to battle to keep himself in the lineup simply due to our need for offence... Unless there is another cold winger like Higgins to give way. I think Dorsett is pretty valuable.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Bonino Vrbata

Mattias Richardson Hansen

Kenins Horvat Dorsett

X-Vey (COLD) X-Higgins (COLD)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Stanton

X- Bieska (Injured) In for Weber if he comes back.

Looking at the current line up, and with how the team is playing, I have noticed a couple things.

1) We should absolutely not be moving Matthias away from center ice. His faceoffs haven't been great, but I don't know if anyone has noticed how much better he has been since being moved back to center. This will create issues this off season, should Matthias decide to stay. Personally I think this may just be his coming out party. If so...then Bonino is on his way out, very likely. Would just hate to lose that friendly cap hit though....

2) Kassian is still playing well with the Twins, like it or not. I say keep him there until it becomes a problem.

3) Vey doesn't fit. Period.

4) The newly acquired Sven Baertschi. Funny feeling he won't be signing a two way contract when it's up this year. He might just end up in the pressbox. Hope he's ready to play hard As the left wing spots are:

Sedin

Higgins

Dorsett

Kenins

Oh and Burrows is a natural left winger, which means if he wants to play on this team, he will probably have to learn to play on the other side as well. Also, it's highly unlikely Dorsett will be leaving us, so that whole UFA thing thing, I am not even counting. His re-signing is a given. He's earned it and wants to be here (I didn't even mention Matthias possibly playing left wing again next year.)

Then the right side is:

Burrows

Kassian

Hansen

Vey

So really, his only spot is the right wing.

With all this, I could see Kassian/Vey and Bonino packaged together with something for a better player or a 1st round pick if Kass doesn't keep his consistency up. as well as Richardson re-signed.

I like Kass with the Sedins as he protects them and allows the Sedins to not only play their game but stand up to the opposition taking liberties.

The Sedins are playing with more edge playing with Kass.

Yesterday was a good example of the benefits of having Kass on their line.

With all this, I could see Kassian and Bonino Hansen and Vey packaged together with something for a better player or a 1st round pick if Kass doesn't keep his consistency up.

Fixed it! This way, we have room for Virt the Great and St. Sven (Virtanen and Bartschi, if anyone missed picking up on that) on the right side:

Kassian

Vrbata

Virtanen

Bartschi

Burrows

Fixed it! This way, we have room for Virt the Great and St. Sven (Virtanen and Bartschi, if anyone missed picking up on that) on the right side:

Kassian

Vrbata

Virtanen

Bartschi

Burrows

Virtanen and Baertschi are left wingers. Also, Hansen is making it difficult to keep him with his pretty great chemistry with Bo. I understand all good things come to an end, but why fix what isn't broken. Hansen's cap hit is fine. I do expect difficult decisions this off season though. Question is...who?

Virtanen and Baertschi are left wingers. Also, Hansen is making it difficult to keep him with his pretty great chemistry with Bo. I understand all good things come to an end, but why fix what isn't broken. Hansen's cap hit is fine. I do expect difficult decisions this off season though. Question is...who?

Virtanen's switched to RW, btw.

Richardson and Vey and Higgins, I suspect will be gone. One or two of Weber, Stanton, and Bieksa (possibly all 3). That's about 9.5 mil right there. Then you bring in Virt and Bart and someone else (in FA, perhaps) that replaces the three on fwd.

Our defense:

Tanev-Edler

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Corrado-Clendening/FA signing

Weber/Clendening

And as for goalies, pick two of Miller, Lack, and Markstrom.

As of right now:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-Matthias-Vey

When healthy: Burrows slots in LW with Bonino, Higgins moves to LW with Matthias, Dorsett is 13th forward, Richardson goes to LW moving Higgins to RW, Vey now becomes rotational player.

IMHO the depth, in order of call ups, is: Jensen, Gaunce, MacMillan, Shinkaruk, Grenier. Baertschi slots in I don't know where, but first guess would be before or after Gaunce. Conacher would be after Grenier.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Sbisa-Clendenning

Stanton and Biega rotational. Not a whole lot more depth, just Bobby S. Bieksa gets back, slots in with Hamhuis, Weber goes to rotational.

Though I am not going to second guess Benning about today's trades, I would have like to seen maybe a move to acquire at least one more defenseman that fits into his ideas about this team. After the above named guys, next up is Pedan and Andersson; neither one seems anything close to ready this year.

Miller

Lack

Markstrom

Eriksson and Cannata in reserve; Demko in the somewhat distant future. No moves needed here until after the season. Better then, though; I could easily envision both Markstrom and Eriksson walking if they don't at least get a chance soon.

I'll leave the guys in junior off; the post is "after the deadline", not next year

Virtanen's switched to RW, btw.

Richardson and Vey and Higgins, I suspect will be gone. One or two of Weber, Stanton, and Bieksa (possibly all 3). That's about 9.5 mil right there. Then you bring in Virt and Bart and someone else (in FA, perhaps) that replaces the three on fwd.

Our defense:

Tanev-Edler

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Corrado-Clendening/FA signing

Weber/Clendening

And as for goalies, pick two of Miller, Lack, and Markstrom.

Didn't you hear Benning say "We're not moving Higgins. He's a glue guy in our locker room. I didn't even ask him for a list of teams." what does that sound like to ya? Also...Bieksa is never leaving this team. He's in it til the end. Our Chris Phillips. He bleeds *insert current Canuck colours here*.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Matthias - Bonino - Vrbata

Higgins - Richardson - Burrows

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett Vey

Would be my forward lines*

I was going to post this. I'd like to see both those scratches in the lineup, but for whom? I'm sure there will be more injuries where they will see their games.

Archived