The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning: Trade Deadline Press Conference & TSN1040 interview

TheRussianRocket.

Kassian not traded - good! He seems like he is coming around, let's hope it continues.

Higgins not traded - alright for now, he does provide two way play. Hope he remembers how to score goals in live action soon

2nd rounder for Sven (I'm not gonna try that last name yet!) - never heard of the guy, he had numbers in junior though. A 2nd? We'll see.

No trades like the Roy trade - GREAT!!!!

Sounds like Benning has some trades working, or at least planned, for the upcoming draft. If next year's draft is better than this year, he could be trying to get slightly better picks for next year (like a 3rd next year vs. a 4th year).

Overall, I look forward to the next few years. We may not have an absolute superstar in the system. but we do have a potentially loaded collection of almost star talent.

i'm glad to hear him say higgins is glue on this team..i agree with that and is one of the reasons that he is my favorite player..

i don't see them moving higgins, richardson, burrows and matthias until, players come along that can move them off the team.

they won't push virtanen, mccann, shinkaruk or jensen onto the team before they are ready...i respect and accept his decisions.

he sure knows more about hockey than i do.

At some point prior to July 1 I someone will either have to be moved or allowed to walk given that the cap will not increase by much and guys like Mathias and Tanev will be getting significant raises.

Happy with the trade for Sven, giving a 2nd rounder which is more likely than not a bust for a guy with huge potential needing a change of scenery. Calgary boards aren't happy at all which is a good sign. Happy Benning didn't give up Kass.

Now that the trade deadline is over..... LETS PUSH FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Stoked about Baerstchi, but disappointed we're still sitting on contracts like Richardson, Stanton, Weber, Higgins and both of Lack/Markstrom.

I know there is still time before the draft to make moves, but I just hope their value is worth as much then as it seemed to be today.

Is it me? or does Benning have bad grammar and even worse vocabulary?

"Yeah , like & stuff"

At first it kind of bugged me, he also made up words he couldn't find. Now, I love it, he is a "real" guy and I sense an honesty and a humility you don't often get in a major market GM.

Stoked about Baerstchi, but disappointed we're still sitting on contracts like Richardson, Stanton, Weber, Higgins and both of Lack/Markstrom.

I know there is still time before the draft to make moves, but I just hope their value is worth as much then as it seemed to be today.

Richardson is gone.

Stanton is gone.

Weber - if we can find someone to replace his shot - is gone.

Higgins is staying.

Lack and Markstrom are both under 2 mil. Don't complain.

Baertschi is a great pickup but one that is going to force more moves down the road since he's waiver-eligible next year. Look for us to make a lot of moves around the draft. At this rate we're going to have to shed a couple of forwards and a couple of defense, maybe more if we re-sign both Tanev and Matthais.

His favorite days are deadline day and draft day! Woooooooohoooooooooooo

I almost puuuuurrrrred when he said that.

I also like when he said. We know the direction we want to take and we don't pay much attention to other teams. Compare and contrast with GMMG.

I think the past couple playoff exists have really damaged the general canucks fan base's understanding of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and how theyre won.

When youre in the playoffs, whoever is bigger on paper,

Whoever had more points in the REG S. None of thats important as long as you have a smart gameplan and youre willing to work hard for your teammates, which is exactly what weve got. A hard working team that wants to win and a coach that has proven to me in my opinion that he knows what hes doing and how to approach other great teams.

St louis? We can beat them.

Chicago? Damn rights, history literally throws stats out the window (anyone else praying for a nucks/hawks round 1?)

La... Theyre due to be surprised at some point, we used to light quick up, plus the teams motivated to beat them.

Wether we win the SCF or lose in the first round, we need to make the playoffs this year and prove that were not an old dog that needs to be taken out back and shot.

Go Canucks.

The overview left out the part where Benning admitted phoning teams to try to trade Kassian :shock:

I still didn't get the vibe from Benning that he was actively trying to trade Kassian.....more just following up enquiries..

He could have easily denied it,which a lot of GMs would have done,but he didn't..

Archived