The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning: Trade Deadline Press Conference & TSN1040 interview

TheRussianRocket.

Glad the league seems to be moving out the goons(inevitable as lawsuits & lawyers creep closer). Next yr Scott, & maybe even Rinaldo, Downie types will be evaluating their options.

So maybe we're seeing the resurgence of the smaller, skilled guy? Back in the day, there were always Mikita, Cournoyer, & Dionne types. Now we see Zucc, Gaudreau, Gallagher & others following Marty St Louis's path.

With these trades, I wonder if JB is anticipating that this trend keeps increasing? Size will be viewed more as a bonus, as opposed to pre-requisite.

I feel like we now have two thirds of a potential first line in the future with baertschi and virtanen. Still dunno who well centre them cause I think horvat isn't quite that guy (though he's fantastic, he's more the Bergeron-kes type while we still need the Henrik-krejci type)

Benning feels like McCann could surprise in the preseason. I'm inclined to agree. Watched him a couple times recently and it really seems like he could be a first line centre. He's got great skill and vision.

If McCann isn't the guy, I'm confident we have expendable assets to target a 1C.

A really interesting series of time on the air from Benning today. Seemed to get a glimpse of the master plan, particularly with his future for Baerschi (possible top 6) and Pedan (regular dman in 16/17 while getting some games hopefully in 15/16).

He's slowly laying the framework for the future. Yeah, there are still precious few "sexy" future pieces but with patience we'll pick them up in the draft.

Benning feels like McCann could surprise in the preseason. I'm inclined to agree. Watched him a couple times recently and it really seems like he could be a first line centre. He's got great skill and vision.

If McCann isn't the guy, I'm confident we have expendable assets to target a 1C.

Do you think McCann could make the jump straight to 1st line?

(I know Virt is an RW, but...) Would a Virtanen-McCann-Kassian line make sense?

When asked which prospect was flying under the radar, Benning said Andrey Pedan.

A big physical defenseman. When he picked him up from the Islanders he was more of an offensive defenseman. Benning sees him as more of a puck moving, stay at home, physical player. Pedan is buying in to this and is beginning to do very well. He sees Pedan as a possible call up for next year and he may challenge for a regular spot the year after.

Sounds like a replacement for Bieksa.

I like the addition of Baertschi. He is now the only forward prospect at 22 years old and is a speed and skill guy.

One of my take aways from the interview was the speed and skill profile that Benning covets. There was a thread a few weeks ago where people were trying to define just what the prototypical new Canuck was that Benning had instructed his scouting staff to be looking for.

Taylor I think asked about this and Benning didn't go into any detail about the ideal Canuck profile.....is it Jake Virtanen? I suspect that it's a secret but I am pleased that Benning has defined attributes that he is looking for and that all the scouts are on the same page and talking the same language. Once again, I think that character and intangibles are a big deal to Benning because what it means is that these players will develop and are open to learning and growing as players.

Obviously, there is raw skill (the basis of draft selection) and trainability and character. Benning places a lot of importance on development. Being drafted in the first round doesn't mean that a player has arrived, it means that he is skilled and a team thinks that they can turn him into a player. This is where Baertschi comes in. He didn't fit with Calgary but he sure fits in Vancouver and Benning is excited to get him.

BTW Baertschi was a Portland Winterhawk. That is Bennings off season home and where his wife comes from and he was well scouted by Benning in his draft year, 2011.

The overview left out the part where Benning admitted phoning teams to try to trade Kassian :shock:

I think that's more to keep Kassian motivated for the rest of the season.

If he keeps playing hard the rest of the season and playoffs then he should have good habits next year and should keep improving.

At the end of the interview Benning said "Virtanen will be fun to watch next year" Implying that he will make the team? Here comes a 150 page thread on whether Virtanen will make the team :bigblush:

Followed by 161 pages of how he's a bust since he didn't score a hatty his first 5 shifts

Do you think McCann could make the jump straight to 1st line?

(I know Virt is an RW, but...) Would a Virtanen-McCann-Kassian line make sense?

I think it would.

Right in front of a Baertchi-Horvat-Shinkaruk line.

The line that makes Calgary fans weep every time they hit the ice

Glad to see our GM say those things. So many idiots on this board who want this team to give up all our veterans for youth & picks. His declaration that we will always have veterans AND youth sets this team's future at ease. I don't want us turning into the Coilers.

Glad to see our GM say those things. So many idiots on this board who want this team to give up all our veterans for youth & picks. His declaration that we will always have veterans AND youth sets this team's future at ease. I don't want us turning into the Coilers.

I'm a little surprised at how quiet the tankers are. Probably saving it up for the post season so they can say "I told you so" when we don't go 16-0.

Guest Dasein

Benning sounds like he really really likes Higgins for whatever reason... that sucks

He also said that he got zero calls for Higgins from other teams, so that tells you where the level of interest on him is (considering that Benning mentioned specifically when asked about Kass that other teams did call to make inquiries about our players, you can deduce that there's zero demand for Higgins)

I like holding onto Higgins as insurance in case Matthias walks, but if we re-sign Matthias, I don't see how we can make room for our prospects when Higgins is clogging up that LW roster spot (now that we've added Baertschi and Kenins is clearly NHL-ready). Not only that, things get even more clogged if we end up re-signing Dorsett, which I hope we do (AND we spent a 3rd rounder to get this guy)

Well, I guess Higgins is staying for a while... Locker room dynamics aren't something I can judge, so, yaaà... Higgins is good on the PK and in the locker room, just not on the top six, consistently.

Pretty excited about Baerch, he always played a good game against us, is he just Mayray though?

I love that JB doesn't mince words or care very much for the media: a hockey guy, efficient, honest and clean (unless no one is looking).

Archived