The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possibility of relocation for Utica?

jono2009

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/2/17/why-langley-needs-vancouver-s-ahl-team I live in Langley. Totally support this idea. I wouldn't rule out Abbotsford as well, but to me I think either venue could have great success. That being said, it is truly that easy to pull out of Utica? As a die hard Canucks fan, I am very happy that Utica has been very exciting, loyal fanbase and in some sense would feel bad that we just take the team away after they have been waiting for any type of hockey to be held there. But it truly has always made sense that our farm team be in the west.

But it truly has always made sense that our farm team be in the west.

It hasn't always made sense. Having the Heat so far away from the rest of the AHL was a ludicrous move. It only starts making sense now that there will be a western division in the AHL.

Having said that though, I don't have any issue with the team being in Utica. It's not like players are shuttling back and forth constantly. I don't think the distance is as big of an issue as many armchair GMs make it out to be.

Additionally, I have grown a little attached to Utica. I feel like they have adopted the Comets much in the way that Winnipeg did with the Moose. In a recent interview, someone from the Canucks brass (maybe Linden, I can't recall for sure) said they were super impressed with how the community was supporting the team.

On top of that, I would hate to see teams like the Giants, Rivermen and Express get squeezed out.

Basically, it's not broken. Why fix it?

1 big reason why this doesn't make sense: Uticia loses a $&!# ton of time to practice being out in the west rather than the east; unless you get other cali teams to move their farms in the west, it's better to leave the team where it's at.

Agree to leaving the team in Utica... A terrific fanbase that loves the Comets... I dont really see a reason to move them out here... We're 2nd in our division and cant sell out Rogers Arena, so I doubt Abby will be able to draw the same crowds that the comets currently draw every night.

1 big reason why this doesn't make sense: Uticia loses a crap ton of time to practice being out in the west rather than the east; unless you get other cali teams to move their farms in the west, it's better to leave the team where it's at.

It sounds like you missed this... http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ahl-officially-announces-pacific-division-five-teams-head-west/

Although I still think it's better to leave the Comets in Utica.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/2/17/why-langley-needs-vancouver-s-ahl-team I live in Langley. Totally support this idea. I wouldn't rule out Abbotsford as well, but to me I think either venue could have great success. That being said, it is truly that easy to pull out of Utica? As a die hard Canucks fan, I am very happy that Utica has been very exciting, loyal fanbase and in some sense would feel bad that we just take the team away after they have been waiting for any type of hockey to be held there. But it truly has always made sense that our farm team be in the west.

Not necessarily. We may have quicker access to them during home stands. However focusing on their own league, majority of teams from both conferences are out East. You're making them travel more throughout the season, just so you can call up a player a few hours quicker than you otherwise could, which in only a few infrequent circumstances will likely end up making a difference.. I disagree entirely on this.

Here we go again. In case you missed this topic on another thread, let me tell you why this is a bad idea.

First, I understand you are a Canuck fan that would love seeing your prospects develop in your own backyard. I really do appreciate and understand that. The problem is:

Your backyard (as well as Abbottsford) would sit in one of the most remote locations the AHL would have creating one of the most expensive travel costs for ANY AHL team. By having the team play at either location would subject them to a financial strain that no other team in league would have to face.

Unlike Utica, every road game would require a chartered flight, a bus to/from the venue and a hotel to have the players stay overnight. In Utica, the Comets board a bus and can return home after the game.

Unlike Utica, who's closest opponent is just a 45 minute bus ride away, the closest opponent to Abbottsford would be in California.

Unlike Utica, who has 7 teams within a 3 hour bus ride, Abbottsford team will have ONLY 5 teams within a 3 hour flight.

Unlike Utica, who has set yet another record with sell-outs, will the fans up there support a team like they do down here? Speculation says yes but once the fans start seeing the SAME 5 teams come to town, for what will sure to be "doubleheader weekend games" because of travel , will they grow tired of a "beer league schedule"?

Will the taxpayers of Abbottsford be willing to support another franchise seeing how it went over so good last time?

How do you think the local media would do covering the Comets? Being in a "non-Canuck" media atmosphere, like Utica, news about the Comets is un-biased. Pre-conceived theories and rumors are only found, or heard, in pages like, well, this forum. The boys are out of the spot-light down here and that's suites us fans just fine.

The call-up issue bothers me the most. What makes those of you that want this move to occur for this reason, believe that call-ups will ONLY be needed for home games? For instance, a rash of injuries recently occurred prior to (and during) the Canucks recent east coast tour. Getting a player to Boston or the NY metro area from Utica, was just as easy as getting them to Vancouver from Abbottsford. Simply, in the year and a half they have been here, there has NEVER been a issue getting a player to the Canucks when they have been needed, so to say it will makes call-ups easier, is just a ill-fated excuse to move them.

You can say what you want about Utica, but you can't beat our location in relation to so many other AHL cities.

In closing, the Canucks are saving hundreds of thousands of dollars every season in travel costs just by having their affiliate here in Utica. Why try to fix something that is working just fine the way it is?

Right. So that the Abbotsford or Langley based team can spend a big whack of their time traveling to play against all of the California-based Pacific Division teams in the AHL.

The only reason why the Pacific Division is going to work is because all of the teams are all based in California. You may want to take a close look at a map and see how far these teams are from the lower mainland.

Utica is a great place to have the farm team. Great fan support and very little travel time means lots of practice time for the developing players. And out of the glare of local rabid hockey fans who will want to micro analyze every single minute details of the players, coaching staff and management. Yup, if I'm running hockey ops, that's exactly what I would avoid.

Archived