The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possibility of relocation for Utica?

jono2009

The team in Utica is thriving in a Hockey supportive town.

That's all I need to know,

Leave them where they are, because playing in front of actual fans will inspire these guys to the top of their ceilings.

Van is very flakey so far as supporting sports teams is concerned, right now we have some exciting prospects but what happens when we don't?

Abbotsford showed how much they wanted their own team, I.E Not much

I would not favor a relocation back west. Utica seems to have welcomed these guys with open arms, and judging by the sellouts, some open wallets as well.

If there is going to be any money invested in a farm team, keep it in Utica. Use it to make some upgrades on the stadium; provide better seating maybe, better concession venues, use the power of an NHL team to get some off-season attractions into town. Might think about having the Canucks themselves play a pre-season game there, if they have an Eastern team to play already, like maybe Buffalo or one of the NY/NY teams.

The only way moving the Comets back west works out is if the entire Western conference does the same. I have heard about the California teams doing this; getting AHL teams in places like Sacramento, Bakersfield, etc. But having just the Pacific division isn't enough, the logistics just don't work out. Too much travel for the budget of an AHL team, with only limited numbers of places to play. Now if the entire Western conference did this, it would be a different story. Having 15 teams vs 7 or 8 makes the logistics and money play out much better. Travel becomes affordable for that caliber of team. If expansion actually does happen, and Seattle &/or Las Vegas joins in, then there is the possibility of more teams. But until that happens, I don't see a Western Conference for the AHL being viable.

Not likely to happen and it should not. Utica is a perfect location for travel. It makes no sense to have prospects flying back east and down south for games. Time is better spent training in the gym and practices on ice.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/2/17/why-langley-needs-vancouver-s-ahl-teamI live in Langley. Totally support this idea. I wouldn't rule out Abbotsford as well, but to me I think either venue could have great success. That being said, it is truly that easy to pull out of Utica? As a die hard Canucks fan, I am very happy that Utica has been very exciting, loyal fanbase and in some sense would feel bad that we just take the team away after they have been waiting for any type of hockey to be held there. But it truly has always made sense that our farm team be in the west.

Langley is too small of an arena.

the only way a lower mainland located AHL team would make sense is if portland, seattle (or tacoma or both), and Boise also get AHL teams. Cali is way too far away to make the "proximity" argument even somewhat relevant. every game would be a chartered flight in or out, which would be prohibitively expensive and timely (just ask Calgary about that).

Here we go again. In case you missed this topic on another thread, let me tell you why this is a bad idea.

First, I understand you are a Canuck fan that would love seeing your prospects develop in your own backyard. I really do appreciate and understand that. The problem is:

Your backyard (as well as Abbottsford) would sit in one of the most remote locations the AHL would have creating one of the most expensive travel costs for ANY AHL team. By having the team play at either location would subject them to a financial strain that no other team in league would have to face.

Unlike Utica, every road game would require a chartered flight, a bus to/from the venue and a hotel to have the players stay overnight. In Utica, the Comets board a bus and can return home after the game.

Unlike Utica, who's closest opponent is just a 45 minute bus ride away, the closest opponent to Abbottsford would be in California.

Unlike Utica, who has 7 teams within a 3 hour bus ride, Abbottsford team will have ONLY 5 teams within a 3 hour flight.

Unlike Utica, who has set yet another record with sell-outs, will the fans up there support a team like they do down here? Speculation says yes but once the fans start seeing the SAME 5 teams come to town, for what will sure to be "doubleheader weekend games" because of travel , will they grow tired of a "beer league schedule"?

Will the taxpayers of Abbottsford be willing to support another franchise seeing how it went over so good last time?

How do you think the local media would do covering the Comets? Being in a "non-Canuck" media atmosphere, like Utica, news about the Comets is un-biased. Pre-conceived theories and rumors are only found, or heard, in pages like, well, this forum. The boys are out of the spot-light down here and that's suites us fans just fine.

The call-up issue bothers me the most. What makes those of you that want this move to occur for this reason, believe that call-ups will ONLY be needed for home games? For instance, a rash of injuries recently occurred prior to (and during) the Canucks recent east coast tour. Getting a player to Boston or the NY metro area from Utica, was just as easy as getting them to Vancouver from Abbottsford. Simply, in the year and a half they have been here, there has NEVER been a issue getting a player to the Canucks when they have been needed, so to say it will makes call-ups easier, is just a ill-fated excuse to move them.

You can say what you want about Utica, but you can't beat our location in relation to so many other AHL cities.

In closing, the Canucks are saving hundreds of thousands of dollars every season in travel costs just by having their affiliate here in Utica. Why try to fix something that is working just fine the way it is?

Point well taken. Thanks for your support.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/2/17/why-langley-needs-vancouver-s-ahl-teamI live in Langley. Totally support this idea. I wouldn't rule out Abbotsford as well, but to me I think either venue could have great success. That being said, it is truly that easy to pull out of Utica? As a die hard Canucks fan, I am very happy that Utica has been very exciting, loyal fanbase and in some sense would feel bad that we just take the team away after they have been waiting for any type of hockey to be held there. But it truly has always made sense that our farm team be in the west.

This is ironicbecause I was driving by the Langley event Center today and was thinking how surprised I am that they don't have a WHL or AHL team in that building. Abbotsford has that beautiful building as well. We also have the Fanbase to support it so I'm not quite understanding what the holdup is. Why the city wouldn't support this, or an owner see value here is surprising. Especially with two locations and two beautiful buildings. There must be a lot more to it

Here we go again. In case you missed this topic on another thread, let me tell you why this is a bad idea.

First, I understand you are a Canuck fan that would love seeing your prospects develop in your own backyard. I really do appreciate and understand that. The problem is:

Your backyard (as well as Abbottsford) would sit in one of the most remote locations the AHL would have creating one of the most expensive travel costs for ANY AHL team. By having the team play at either location would subject them to a financial strain that no other team in league would have to face.

Unlike Utica, every road game would require a chartered flight, a bus to/from the venue and a hotel to have the players stay overnight. In Utica, the Comets board a bus and can return home after the game.

Unlike Utica, who's closest opponent is just a 45 minute bus ride away, the closest opponent to Abbottsford would be in California.

Unlike Utica, who has 7 teams within a 3 hour bus ride, Abbottsford team will have ONLY 5 teams within a 3 hour flight.

Unlike Utica, who has set yet another record with sell-outs, will the fans up there support a team like they do down here? Speculation says yes but once the fans start seeing the SAME 5 teams come to town, for what will sure to be "doubleheader weekend games" because of travel , will they grow tired of a "beer league schedule"?

Will the taxpayers of Abbottsford be willing to support another franchise seeing how it went over so good last time?

How do you think the local media would do covering the Comets? Being in a "non-Canuck" media atmosphere, like Utica, news about the Comets is un-biased. Pre-conceived theories and rumors are only found, or heard, in pages like, well, this forum. The boys are out of the spot-light down here and that's suites us fans just fine.

The call-up issue bothers me the most. What makes those of you that want this move to occur for this reason, believe that call-ups will ONLY be needed for home games? For instance, a rash of injuries recently occurred prior to (and during) the Canucks recent east coast tour. Getting a player to Boston or the NY metro area from Utica, was just as easy as getting them to Vancouver from Abbottsford. Simply, in the year and a half they have been here, there has NEVER been a issue getting a player to the Canucks when they have been needed, so to say it will makes call-ups easier, is just a ill-fated excuse to move them.

You can say what you want about Utica, but you can't beat our location in relation to so many other AHL cities.

In closing, the Canucks are saving hundreds of thousands of dollars every season in travel costs just by having their affiliate here in Utica. Why try to fix something that is working just fine the way it is?

Well this pretty much explains it for me.

Excellent post. Very educational. After reading this I agree Utica is probably a better fit. Didn't even think about it being good for keeping our young guys away from the media. That's definitely a very good point.

I must tell u however , the ONLY reason Abby didn't support the heat is because they were the Calgary Flames farm team which is historically one of the most hated rivals to our Canucks , and their farm team was absolutely horrible to boot. To be honest , it was a testament to just how much Canucks fans hate the flames. There isn't one single worse farm team they could have picked to put here.

We have set some sellout records ourselves with our NHL team so don't kid yourself about the fans up here. We sold out 19,000 seats for almost 12 straight years. 474 consecutive sold out home games. If there would be any issues with our farm team here , there is a snowballs chance in hell it would be attendance

So my take on this.

I would like to see the Comets in our own backward. Be able to go watch them in person, to see what they really have. call ups would be easy. However the team would loose sooooooo much practice team due to travel. I would rather have them practicing a lot like they get to do in Utica. So they can get up to the big club.

"Abbottsford has a airport"

I hope so, it's the only way to get a team in or out of there.

For the record, Utica is 40 minutes from the Syracuse National Airport, AND....a ribbon cutting ceremony was just done this week, on the NEW Utica/Rome Airport terminal, located at the former Air Force Base in Rome, NY...located 10 minutes from Utica. The terminal has been completed and we are awaiting the new airlines to arrive. Next season, the Utica Comets, may be flying out of this new facility.

Give me 1 reason why you want hockey back up in Abbottsford (or Langley), where it has already failed once, and I will give you 10 reasons on why it should stay in Utica, where it works and is profitable.

Again, I get that you want to see the AHL version of the Canucks in your backyard, but for now, it makes more sense, financially, for them to be down here.

I think the only reason they'd bring them back here is because of the other western teams doing so. TL and JB already talked about all the practices the Heat lost due to the extra travel, and the pressure on the kids being so close to the microscoping media here would not be good for their development either. This next season they'll take a good long look at how the other teams fair, for sure.

I must tell u however , the ONLY reason Abby didn't support the heat is because they were the Calgary Flames farm team which is historically one of the most hated rivals to our Canucks , and their farm team was absolutely horrible to boot.

Based on what? They were 196 W - 144 L - 21 OTL - 27 SOL over the 5 years. Three seasons they had more than 90 points.

Doesn't sound like 'absolutely horrible' to me.

Archived