The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possibility of relocation for Utica?

jono2009

I hate the thought of some of our "self entitled" fans having easy access to our farm team. It's bad enough reading about how some of our senior players are treated on here without exposing our prospects to it as well.

As I said Utica is a hockey town and their fans value the fact we have entrusted them with our farm team. For them that is all they have. They are invested now in a team that should have a great future.

I am excited by the thought that these fans will get the opportunity to watch some of our young stars in the coming seasons rather than some of the poor drafts we have handed the likes of Chicago in the past.

The west states an BC will not support hockey I think maybe this was already tried in the 70 s an early 80s. If it aint broken dont fix it .If Seattle Portland ,Las Vegas an Cali could support teams perhaps it could rework, but would be an expensive experiment an the trade offs huge .I say let it be in Utica

Does anyone have any idea of the deal that the Canucks have with Robert Esche's group?

Who owns the rights to the revenue streams (i.e., ticket sales, merchandise sales, concessions, parking, TV/radio/streaming, sponsorship, etc.)? My assumption would be that all revenues end up on Esche's group's books.

Who pays for administration and operating costs of running the team in Utica? My assumption would be it is Esche's group that pays for all of the admin / operational (including travel and accommodations at home and on the road for the players and staff) / marketing / arena lease costs of the Comets and that they pay CSE an annual fee for the rights to operate the Comets franchise. I would think the Canucks/CSE would be responsible for all players contracts (even the one who are signed to AHL contracts) and hockey operations staff (Conacher, Green, Bomber, Gerrard, training staff, equipment staff, etc.).

If my assumptions are correct, then the Canucks/CSE have a really nice arrangement with Esche's group and Canucks/CSE should not even consider moving the Comets from Utica. If the Canucks and Esche are working under such an arrangement, Esche's group is assuming most of the financial risk of making hockey viable in the Mohawk Valley. I hope Esche's group is able to generate enough revenue to operate their end of the business at a break-even point. I'd hate to see Esche's group bleed money to make a go of AHL hockey in the Mohawk Valley.

Anyways, it would be great to hear what those who know how these arrangements work have to say.

Does anyone have any idea of the deal that the Canucks have with Robert Esche's group?

Who owns the rights to the revenue streams (i.e., ticket sales, merchandise sales, concessions, parking, TV/radio/streaming, sponsorship, etc.)? My assumption would be that all revenues end up on Esche's group's books.

Who pays for administration and operating costs of running the team in Utica? My assumption would be it is Esche's group that pays for all of the admin / operational (including travel and accommodations at home and on the road for the players and staff) / marketing / arena lease costs of the Comets and that they pay CSE an annual fee for the rights to operate the Comets franchise. I would think the Canucks/CSE would be responsible for all players contracts (even the one who are signed to AHL contracts) and hockey operations staff (Conacher, Green, Bomber, Gerrard, training staff, equipment staff, etc.).

If my assumptions are correct, then the Canucks/CSE have a really nice arrangement with Esche's group and Canucks/CSE should not even consider moving the Comets from Utica. If the Canucks and Esche are working under such an arrangement, Esche's group is assuming most of the financial risk of making hockey viable in the Mohawk Valley. I hope Esche's group is able to generate enough revenue to operate their end of the business at a break-even point. I'd hate to see Esche's group bleed money to make a go of AHL hockey in the Mohawk Valley.

Anyways, it would be great to hear what those who know how these arrangements work have to say.

I don't know all of the details but I am willing to bet that your assumptions are fairly accurate.

I hate the thought of some of our "self entitled" fans having easy access to our farm team. It's bad enough reading about how some of our senior players are treated on here without exposing our prospects to it as well.

As I said Utica is a hockey town and their fans value the fact we have entrusted them with our farm team. For them that is all they have. They are invested now in a team that should have a great future.

I am excited by the thought that these fans will get the opportunity to watch some of our young stars in the coming seasons rather than some of the poor drafts we have handed the likes of Chicago in the past.

Agreed, I like the Comets in Utica too. Sounds like the fans and city are really getting behind the team, so let them stay there and have fun.

Jim Benning put it best, there's only a few occasions that teams make call up from the fram 5-7 times maybe. But Utica is well placed for a short travel time in it's current locations. More travel time = less practise time. Seems to me unless they can shorten the travel time in the west with more teams locating in the west then it's better where they are

Archived