The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's clear Benning believes this team can make the playoffs and win rounds

*Buzzsaw*

Conclusions I draw from Deadline day:

1) Benning believes this year the team will make the playoffs and has the potential to go deep.

2) He doesn't want to upset the chemistry by trading away key roster players who have been a big part of winning this year

3) He thinks Miller will be back for the playoffs.

4) For the future, he is not thinking rebuild... as Trevor has said... the gameplan is retool on the fly... that's why he picked up Sven B, he's expected to be a player sooner than later... much faster process of improving the team than waiting for the 18 year olds from the1st/2nd/3rd/4th rounds to develop. You can get a player like Bo from the first round and have him make the team at 19, but that is rare. When you get a 1st who is already 21 and a long way along in his development it accelerates the process of improving the lineup. Yeah, they'd like to see Virtanen make the team next year, but if he doesn't they've got a good 21 year old goal scorer in Sven who likely will fit in.

5) I think he will pick up draft choices on Draft Day... in the form of picks for our veterans... we will have a number of options there... but he doesn't want to trade away the veterans before the season is over, when they are going to be needed to carry us deep into the playoffs.

This is all a very logical plan... he knows what he is doing and he's not making any strange moves or risky trades.

He wants to create a winning environment; not like the crapshoot Edmonton has ended up in.

Yeah, I think this is a lot closer to the answer.

We have guys like Horvat, Kenins, Vey and Kassian all trying their hardest to contribute to the team. Selling off to better our draft while sacrificing the now would be poor GM'ing. We can recoup those picks in the offseason, even if it means getting a worse return than if we dealt today. Making the playoffs would be huge for development.

I agree. A guy like Higgins can be traded at draft day for a second. No need to make our team worse for now.

I get the feeling by the news conference that Higgins is not going to be traded at all! Trading him would upset the balance in the dressing room, is what I got from him.

Yeah people on here are crazy. They just love their draft picks for some reason

Yeah! Who cares about draft picks right??

It's not like holding on to picks and building through the draft has worked for the likes of Detroit, Chicago or LA...

Yeah! Who cares about draft picks right??

It's not like holding on to picks and building through the draft has worked for the likes of Detroit, Chicago or LA...

Detroit has always picked up huge players via UFA or trade. While drafting and development has been key or paramount, they've always picked players up that are integral parts of their cup runs.

Chicago did nothing without Sharp, Hossa and multiple goalies or valuable trade/ufa pieces

LA. Carter, Richards, Stoll, Gaborik

The fundamental difference between these 3 teams is that Det finds their gems in the later rounds. Chi and LA had top 3 draft players on their rosters.

Drafting and development are key, but trades are just as key and essential to things.

Benning came in to this season saying it was a wait and see what happens season to evaluate his roster and the talent on it. He was never going to make huge moves.

His biggest moves have actually been to shore up the 20-25 age range for picks we never had or never developed which have been solid additions ot our season thus far

I was one of the supporters to trade a couple vets this deadline for 2 reasons:

1. We have too many roster players.

Our younger players have been playing lights out for the past month. Guys like Kenins should not be going anywhere, Horvat has come into his own and even Linden Vey looks like he's moving his feet again. Benning said that if younger players play well that moving vets will be in the best interest of the team and he didn't do that.

2. Trading away vets makes us marginally worst in the short-run but better off in the long-run

People think that if we trade Richardson and Higgins that we are tanking like the Oilers. How can you say that? We have a surplus of forwards and have extraordinary depth in our bottom 6. Richardson doesn't have a spot on our team anymore, and it was nothing he did, Horvat, Matthais and Vey have played so well in his absence that he's redundant. If higgins was moved, yes we lose a guy that plays in our top 6, but lets not forget we have Burrows who's waiting in the wings to come back into the lineup. With Kassian emerging and playing well with the sedins, Burrows could have taken Higgins' spot. If you think about it, who in then to come out when Richardson and Burrows get health? Kenins? I don't think that's fair because of how well he's played. Vey? He's also played well over the last month or so.

I just feel like, while Benning is doing things to make use better for the future, he could have stuck to his promise to move vets when younger players earn a spot.

We definitely can't compete with the Ducks or Nashville here in the West. We can go on and win the first round though :) That will be exciting enough for me knowing that we have a strong future with young assets that can contribute next year. I am happy with acquiring Sven. Today was a successful day.

I find it hard to believe that if there was a decent trade that didn't involve giving up too much he would have done it. Mostly what I would read into it is a cautious approach and no trades for trades sake, not anything much deeper than that (like an expectation to go deep into the playoffs). Actually, if he was expecting to go deep, that would have been more of a reason to pull the trigger, not less.

We definitely can't compete with the Ducks or Nashville here in the West. We can go on and win the first round though :) That will be exciting enough for me knowing that we have a strong future with young assets that can contribute next year. I am happy with acquiring Sven. Today was a successful day.

Every team has a weakness. If one team gets hot at one time they can win a series. Last year when San Jose was playing LA who did you pick to win the series at the start. Then who did you have pencilled in at game 3. If San Jose had a good game 4 LA wouldn't have another cup.

Every team has a weakness. If one team gets hot at one time they can win a series. Last year when San Jose was playing LA who did you pick to win the series at the start. Then who did you have pencilled in at game 3. If San Jose had a good game 4 LA wouldn't have another cup.

Say it is as it is right now.

We'd beat Calgary. Anaheim would beat Winnipeg. We're 1-3 vs. ANA right now, and only one of those was in regulation. If we can get hot at the right time, we can beat them. We can beat pretty much anyone coming out of the midwest except Nashville (but even still, we've never lost in the Conference Finals), and the East we can handle deftly, as long as it's not Buffalo.

Archived