The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How the Flames mishandled Sven Baertschi - from a Calgary pov

TheRussianRocket.

Baertschi wasn't innocent in his performance levels during this time, as he may have suffered from the consistency issues we've seen with Kassian (and again, consistency is unrelated to their output on the score sheet) more specific to effort and playing the proper way. He didn't deserve the verbal lashings mind you, but he'll have to answer his critics with improved performance if he wants to succeed at the NHL level.

Certainly great potential for Baertschi to be a big part of this team going forward. He's shown great skill in the past and he's real excited to be here. Just get a strong feeling this is the right place for him to get his mojo back and develop further. Hoping for a big win/ win with this trade.

excellent write up and also a bit of a glimpse on the Kassian situation here. Young, skilled players need ice time and they need to be able to make mistakes without fear of being benched or demoted. t.

Did not know Baertschi was demoted to the AHL for his lifestyle antics and refusal to recognise his position as a professional.

This is nothing like the Kassian situation. Kassian has had hundreds of games and multiple years to develop here and has had issues. Baertschi suffered under the 'truculence' factor of one Brian Burke.

Our gain.

"Management pissed away an asset because they couldn't control themselves and then overcompensated by publicly dragging the kid."

Hodgson and Dufus Gillis written all over it.

I think Sven is coming into the perfect situation for him to get his career back on track in Vancouver. He will play out the season in Utica most likely with Travis Green who he knows from Portland. Get familiar with the organization in his own time and not be thrown into the deep end immediately and playing for the NHL team. Hopefully he produces and enjoys a long run in the playoffs "flying under the Canuck fan/media radar" with Utica. Have a big summer and come to training camp with spots on the roster available.

If I was Sven I would be jumping of joy! I am atleast, can't help but get very excited about the potential in this organization.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Bärtschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Thanks. This was a good read.

I think Sven is coming into the perfect situation for him to get his career back on track in Vancouver. He will play out the season in Utica most likely with Travis Green who he knows from Portland. Get familiar with the organization in his own time and not be thrown into the deep end immediately and playing for the NHL team. Hopefully he produces and enjoys a long run in the playoffs "flying under the Canuck fan/media radar" with Utica. Have a big summer and come to training camp with spots on the roster available.

If I was Sven I would be jumping of joy! I am atleast, can't help but get very excited about the potential in this organization.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Bärtschi - Bonino - Vrbata

Bartschi, Vrbata and the Sedins on the PP! Imagine!

I think the the 'story' behind the Flames and Baertschi are overblown.

You can analyze the situation any which way, but at the end of the day, Sven doesn't fit the Flames needs anymore. The emergence of the other young forwards in the Flames system has made him expendable.

It doesn't mean he can't be successful somewhere else. I hope that he doesn't expect an automatic roster spot next season, because there are guys who have had a taste of the big leagues and will do anything to stay up (Kenins is a prime example)

Baertschi is just one of dozens of prospects trying to make the NHL. It doesn't matter whether you're drafted in the top 20 or in the 7th round, if you don't put in the work and perform, you won't stick. End of story.

If Sven works as hard as Ronnie Kenins did when he was called up, he should have no problem staying up.

Today on 1040, WD said he really liked Baertschi when he was coaching against him in the WHL and AHL.

He seems eagered to work with him because he has some mad talent. Its much like Kassian. Baertschi will learn to motivate himself and play the right way in the Canucks system and he will start to show some good stuff.

Patience is key with Sven...if we give him the right environment and people to develop with he will turn out what he was suggested by scouts.

Very excited about this deal...I was literally shocked when I heard we acquired him.

Did not know Baertschi was demoted to the AHL for his lifestyle antics and refusal to recognise his position as a professional.

This is nothing like the Kassian situation. Kassian has had hundreds of games and multiple years to develop here and has had issues. Baertschi suffered under the 'truculence' factor of one Brian Burke.

Our gain.

"Management pissed away an asset because they couldn't control themselves and then overcompensated by publicly dragging the kid."

Hodgson and Dufus Gillis written all over it.

lol Don't you ever get tired of looking like a fool?

Today on 1040, WD said he really liked Baertschi when he was coaching against him in the WHL and AHL.

He seems eagered to work with him because he has some mad talent. Its much like Kassian. Baertschi will learn to motivate himself and play the right way in the Canucks system and he will start to show some good stuff.

Patience is key with Sven...if we give him the right environment and people to develop with he will turn out what he was suggested by scouts.

Very excited about this deal...I was literally shocked when I heard we acquired him.

The patience required is to play Baertschi in the AHL until you are 100% sure that he can be your first or second line LW.

I really hope we have the Flames next Iginla.

Regardless of it being from a Sven fan's blogger's prospective, those words are rarely uttered anywhere on the Internet for any prospect. I'm excited to see what he can do here with a more consistent playing time instead of being trucked from the AHL to NHL all the while having multiple injuries. Prospects need consistency, he'll get his chance here.

Archived