The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How the Flames mishandled Sven Baertschi - from a Calgary pov

TheRussianRocket.

The good news is there is a place for Baertschi in the NHL, the bad news is that he only has the rest of this season and early next season to prove himself.

I personally believe Green and Willie will be able to get the best out of him. Green will know what his strengths are already and be able to use those right away.

If he finishes this season in the AHL, can he start the next season in the AHL without clearing NHL waivers?

No I believe he has to clear at least once at the beginning of the year unless maybe he wasn't invited to NHL camp. Not sure on that though.

I'm hoping Utica has a great playoffs and he gets a solid 40 games in the AHL to end the season maybe a couple NHL games, and puts up close to a PPG.

Today on 1040, WD said he really liked Baertschi when he was coaching against him in the WHL and AHL.

He seems eagered to work with him because he has some mad talent. Its much like Kassian. Baertschi will learn to motivate himself and play the right way in the Canucks system and he will start to show some good stuff.

Patience is key with Sven...if we give him the right environment and people to develop with he will turn out what he was suggested by scouts.

Very excited about this deal...I was literally shocked when I heard we acquired him.

Unfortunately for the Canucks, Baertschi's going to be given lots of patience while taking a spot on the Canucks roster next season unless the Canucks want to run the risk of exposing him to the waiver wires. Looks like the plan is to bring him along like Vey (i.e., small, short term contract and part of platoon moving in and out of the line up, predicated by how he plays).

Given his waiver status after this season, he'll be in and around the NHL all of next season. Hopefully he can develop like Vey has.

Is anybody else reading this and just thinking "please don't do this with Kassian" (minus the AHL demotions obviously).

Enough of the Kassian BS

There is no comparison.

Sven B. is a prototypical super skilled one way top 6 player. Kassian is not that. Kassian does not fit a pre-set development program.

Guest Dasein

" He was going to be the Flames' next Jarome Iginla. He said he wanted to be as much"

That's some heavy print..

Good read tho can't wait to see what he can do.

Instead he could be our next Naslund :lol:

(though I certainly am not expecting that of him)

He should fit nicely on a line with Bonino and Vrbata,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7GrfsdUQjs

He has some sick hands, will really help our power play.

Style-wise, Bonino and Vrbata seem like a really good fit for Baertschi. It's the kind of line that will score off the rush, and Baertschi can set up the other two as well as finish. The only problem is that he has to displace Higgins and Burr to play in this slot. WD's seniority system is more likely to put him on the 3rd line with Matthais and Vey, maybe Dorsett some of the time. That's not anything close to as good a fit. Plus I'm not sure Baertschi and Vey on the same line will work defensively.

Burke can exist with one zone players fairly well if they are producing. Naslund and Jovo both really only played one zone. For a left D, Jovo was more of a left wing with bad D awareness while here. Makes me think that there is a little more to the lifestyle issues. Irregardless, should not have been aired publicly.

Hopefully this experience and some maturity will straighten this out. The one thing I do love about the Sedin's, was the one thing I loved about Naslund, they are consummate professionals and that can rub off on people. Travis Green has the rest of the season to work with him and camp next year. May light a fire under Jensen as well.

Archived