The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last Canadian-made box of Frosted Flakes turns up on Ontario family's table

From CTV:

A family from Timmins, Ont., was sitting down for their usual Monday morning breakfast when they discovered their cereal box was a piece of Canadian history.

The Gaudette family was preparing to start the day when they reached for an unopened box of Frosted Flakes. Turns out, it was the last box of cereal produced at the now-shuttered Kellogg’s plant in London, Ont.

“I noticed there was something written on the plastic bag inside after I opened up the box,” Stephane Gaudette told CTV News.

Written in black marker and dated Dec. 5, 2014, the note read: “This is the very last bag of Canadian cereal for the Canadian market from Kellogg’s London Ontario plant.”

The message was written by three long-time workers at the 138-year-old plant, which closed in December.

The men wrote their names and included what is presumably the number of years they each worked at the plant: 24, 28 and 29 years.

Gaudette recognized the historical significance of his find.

“I found it kind of sad, because I knew it was a major employer in London,” Gaudette said. “My heart went out to these people and I knew it that it had a long, rich history.”

Former Kellogg’s workers in London say they know exactly what the message meant, and who wrote it.

“This wasn’t meant to be done as a joke; these are three fellas that took a lot of pride in their work and they wanted to be there on that final day and put out that final box,” said Mike Coulter, a former Kellogg’s employee.

In December 2013, Kellogg's announced the plant was closing within a year and its cereal production was being moved to a newer facility. The closure put 450 people out of work.

Gaudette, a history teacher, said he doesn’t yet know the final fate of the cereal box, but he is planning to show it to his students.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/last-canadian-made-box-of-frosted-flakes-turns-up-on-ontario-family-s-table-1.2261029

Nice to see the pride of the workers at the cereal company. Unfortunate they all lost their jobs, but it was a business decision, it happens.

As per Wikipedia, this corporation has:

Revenue 11px-Increase2.svg.pngUS$ 14.792 billion[1] (2013)

11px-Increase2.svg.pngUS$ 1.562 billion[1] (2012)

11px-Increase2.svg.pngUS$ 1,807 million[1] (2013)

Let's let that sink for a moment.

2 year old data. From late 2014: Kellogg has reported a 31% drop in third-quarter profit as sales of breakfast foods and snacks slid in the U.S.

Source: http://fortune.com/2014/10/30/kellogg-breakfast-sales-drop/

Its a shrinking market and old plants in need of modernization are the first to go.

That's what happened to my buddy who worked at a juice plant they got bought out by nestle and nestle realized it was to costly to bring it up to there standards so about 90 people got laid off when they shut it down.Were did the jobs go the states Mexico overseas no they moved production to Ontario.

Less people are eating cereal nowadays. Its a shrinking market and old plants in need of modernization are the first to go.

Are you saying they should be expected to keep a plant open just because their profits are currently up?

Offensive Threat: I didn't know about the 31 percent decline. Interesting...

William_Clarkson: Well, no, I intended to juxtaposition the fact of the profit numbers (which ended up inaccurate, as Offensive Threat pointed out).

I think it's much easier in my spot, for example, to call out a rich person's decisions when it's not my money. That being said, I think it's legitimate to question how money is really being "re-distributed".

Large parts of the Ontario manufacturing industry have been underwater for years. The federal government has been using western resources to keep them afloat.

I feel sorry for the people losing their jobs, but it makes no sense to prop up jobs that don't exist to keep the Ontario economy going. It makes more sense for those people to move out west, where many sectors have a labor shortage.

Archived