The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks' miss the playoffs. Will it mean the core is gone?

The Sedins have been brilliant this season and done nothing short of carry this team on their back. They had problems with consistency and were quiet at the start of the season going about their normal business, but now that injuries have really started to hit this team's stars, the Sedins have upped their game. True sign of character and leadership. In the last 10 or so games Henrik and Daniel have been two of the highest scorers in the NHL, and it's been coming at huge times in big games too.

No matter which way this season goes, the Canucks owe it to the Sedins to keep them until they retire, and they will undoubtedly do so. Even in the twighlights of their careers, maybe 3 years down the line when they're potting 30-40 points each, I'd still like to see them on a 3rd or 4th line for the Canucks.

Baertschi - ? - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

Kenins - Gaunce/Bonino - Hansen/UFA

They can slowly move down our depth chart and lines as their production tails off, but right now they're proving that they're still elite players. Today there aren't many players even at a point-per-game so their production is impressive enough compared to the rest of the league's.

As for the rest of the core (ie. Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis), scrap em. We've got enough youth coming up to replace every one of them.

ok at draft

1.trade jensen, mcnally, vey, weber, higgins, richardson, and a goalie for picks.

2. if tanev wants more than 4.5 mill id trade him if not sign him 3-4 yrs but without a ntc.

3. draft as many gems as possible.

4. resign kenins, mattias, sbisa,

5. sign a 4th line center who can win a draw, sign a mean shutdown dman

at next yrs deadline trade bieska, hamhuis, burrows, vrbata and miller for a boat load of firsts and prospects

core in 2 full yrs

sedin sedin baerchi

shinkaruk mccann virtanen

kenins horvat hansen

gaunce cassels mattias

edler, corrado

hutton clendening

sbisa subban

stanton

plus use all draft picks for bigger meaner dmen and snipers this young core will be fast

EA Sports

It's in the game.

... Even though Kenins is 23 years old, he's a UFA since he went undrafted.

Do you have some source for that? I looked through the free agent section (Article 10) of the collective bargaining agreement and can't find anything to that effect. Once a player signs a contract, I don't see any provision in the free agency Article of the CBA where it matters whether he was drafted or not.

nhlnumbers shows both Kenins and Tanev as RFA this summer. The site could be wrong, but it seems consistent with the CBA to me.

For the large part, this core is going nowhere (both literally and figuratively). The twins are under contract until the end of the 16-17 season. Yeah they're sliding down some, but the whole league has scoring down, so some of the reduced points can be attributed to that. Burrows - wouldn't mind seeing him renegotiate his contract to extend a year, but lower the cap hit. Higgins - nice low cap hit, but I could see him traded to use a couple mil on others, even with the "glue" statement. Hansen - nice resurgence this year and seems to have found a steady line instead of shuttling around all the time, so he stays. Edler - our best Dman is going nowhere. Bieksa - he's one player I would like to explore trading, but also the same thing applies with him as Burrows. Hamhuis - no need to go anywhere, yet.

Everyone else has been here only a couple of years and shouldn't be considered "core".

Under this scenario, let's say we do trade Higgins, and get Burrows to reup. That would give us, say, 3.5-4 million to play with. Exit Richardson after this year, along with a goalie, one of the spare parts Dmen and we have around 6 mil total. That's not going to get a whole lot, but it will get Tanev resigned and continue to acquire supporting players. The one I fear is losing Matthias; he seems to have found his niche, and will be looking for a nice contract. We may have to lose Dorsett also just to keep Matthias. Not an optimal ending to this but this is also a business. You guys have been wanting to get the rookies some playing time? It may happen, even if it costs some points in the standings.

If the season up to Miller getting hurt proved anything it was that this core, infused with some quality youth, is far from done. We were a legit divisional playoff seed with Miller in net. I was excited to see us in the post-season. The team had a lot of possibilities around it, especially if we got the right matchup in the first round.

I'm sure Flames fans are thinking what could have been too.... injuries are a part of the game.

ok at draft

1.trade jensen, mcnally, vey, weber, higgins, richardson, and a goalie for picks.

2. if tanev wants more than 4.5 mill id trade him if not sign him 3-4 yrs but without a ntc.

at next yrs deadline trade bieska, hamhuis, burrows, vrbata and miller for a boat load of firsts and prospects

core in 2 full yrs

sedin sedin baerchi

kenins horvat hansen

gaunce cassels mattias

edler, corrado

hutton clendening

sbisa subban

stanton

plus use all draft picks for bigger meaner dmen and snipers this young core will be fast

Way too many fans giving up on Jensen way too early. Makes me wonder what your all smoking.

ok at draft

core in 2 full yrs

sedin sedin baerchi

kenins horvat hansen

gaunce cassels mattias

edler, corrado

hutton clendening

sbisa subban

stanton

Wow another doozy.

Archived