The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 3 Canuck trades of all time

grandmaster

Agree with these two trades..they went a long way to revitalize the Canucks and get them into the 94 final.

The Ronning/Courtnall et al trade really was a shot in the arm...suddenly they looked like a substantially different team. Sometimes those high body-count trades are worth more than the sum of the parts.

To Chicago 2000 Canucks 1st rounder and Bryan McCabe

To Vancouver 1999 Blackhawks 1st round pick (3rd) Overall)

Probably one of the most important trades in canucks HIstory, not only did we draft the Greatest Canuck of all time, we put together the great brother combo in sports history.

That's not correct.

See my post above.

To Chicago 2000 Canucks 1st rounder and Bryan McCabe

To Vancouver 1999 Blackhawks 1st round pick (3rd) Overall)

Probably one of the most important trades in canucks HIstory, not only did we draft the Greatest Canuck of all time, we put together the great brother combo in sports history

Best in canuck history, yes. In hockey history, no. In sport history unlikely.

The Ronning/Courtnall et al trade really was a shot in the arm...suddenly they looked like a substantially different team. Sometimes those high body-count trades are worth more than the sum of the parts.

That's why I liked the Brown/Hedican deal, it bumped some good players down the depth chart and created a 3rd pairing of Babych and Diduck. Too bad it didn't last.

It was tough watching that team just float apart in the years after '94. I've never thought the Canucks playing their way to the Finals was a fluke but that trade wasn't even a trade, it was an RFA offer sheet that blew up in St. Louis' face. A fluke if you will.

Apart from that, it's probably a toss up between the Ronning/Courtnall/Momesso deal and the McLean/Adams deal as far as long term positive change from a trade is concerned.

That's why I liked the Brown/Hedican deal, it bumped some good players down the depth chart and created a 3rd pairing of Babych and Diduck. Too bad it didn't last.

It was tough watching that team just float apart in the years after '94. I've never thought the Canucks playing their way to the Finals was a fluke but that trade wasn't even a trade, it was an RFA offer sheet that blew up in St. Louis' face. A fluke if you will.

Apart from that, it's probably a toss up between the Ronning/Courtnall/Momesso deal and the McLean/Adams deal as far as long term positive change from a trade is concerned.

I remember that Vancouver had the ability to request compensation from the arbitrator and they asked for Brendan Shanahan at the time.

Which would have been pretty ironic considering the Stevens-Shanahan compensation fiasco of the previous two years.

The Nedved/Janney thing was weird. Being awarded Janney was a kick in the 'nads....a talented player, but softer than Charmin. As it turned out Brown/Hedican & Lafayette was a great return for that short period of time. It just turned into a mess post-1994. Too bad, there was a lot to work with there.

Archived